How did black gi's become standard for kenpo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo - (EPAK) Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate S' started by JohnPeace, Jul 24, 2008.

1. sidecarr

sidecarr White Belt

If you go to the Tracy websight he has an extensive history of Kenpo ,and has a history of the black gi

2. Dave Leverich

Dave Leverich Black Belt

(Link was above)

In the 80's sometimes we wore black pants with white top simply because it was cool heh. That, and well... chuck did it, must have been that 'omg black Gi Kenpo guys... with beards!' inluence ;).

3. Rich_Hale

Rich_Hale Green Belt

My Kenpo training began in 1972 at Ed Parker’s Kenpo Karate Studio in Colton, CA under the instruction of Rich Callahan.

Although our school was teaching the 32 technique system of Kenpo, Rich was also a 3rd Black in the International Kajukenbo Association. A rank he received from Al Dacascos and Al Reyes Sr. in 1969. I make this clarification because as stated by Mr. Bishop, the Kajukenbo family have their own reasons and traditions that may have effected or school policy – even though we were an Ed Parker owned school.

Our policy was black belts wore black, if they wanted to, as could brown belts. Student instructors could were a combination of black and white and everyone else wore white.

As for tournaments, I have not idea if this was unique to our school or not, but we were allowed to wear black to a tournament if we fought in at least three matches and won at least one of them. Knowing we would otherwise not wear an all black uniform until brown belt – this was quite an incentive for us to compete in at lease a few tournaments.

As for why Rich Callahan wore black, I can guarantee you it had nothing to do with tradition, permission or policy and all everything to do with being a rebellious bad ***.

4. JTKenpo

JTKenpo Purple Belt

That story ROCKS!!!!! LOL Truely awesome

5. c2kenpo

c2kenpo White Belt

This what what i was told too. You could work out for a week in yoru black gi w/o having to wash it every night. But then again I dont know how many wives that would tolerate that locker room smell!

Something that was told to me was that there was no history to the black/white debate. Since hundreds of years ago they still did not use dyes in clothing... but that is just a thought.

6. celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler Senior Master

....because SGM Ed Parker said so. :)

7. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    That information with regard to dyes is just factually inaccurate. Depending on culture, it would probably be more accurate to say "thousands" of years ago they didn't use dyes in clothing, and that was probably when they were still wearing skins/leathers. Pretty much as soon as textiles are developed someone figures out dyes.

Lamont

8. Hyper_Shadow

Hyper_Shadow Green Belt

I dunno about for kenpo, but at my dojo we wear black gi's for pretty much the same reason. They don't show up dirt and grime when you grapple, they also are practically impossible to stain.

9. Kenpo17

Kenpo17 Green Belt

Really, I have never heard that it was a tradition to wear black gi's. I mean, I do wear a black gi, but I also have white gi's, as well as blue, and red gi's. But the red and blue gi's are for the demo team I am on, out on the mat, I usually wouldn't wear them. You are right though that now many more people wear black gi's, then white gi's, and I can't tell you why this is because I don't know. Maybe it is easier to see lighter colored patches on the black gi, verses the white gi. Sorry I couldn't answer your question[​IMG].

10. DocWard

DocWard Purple Belt

I would respectfully assert that while yang is considered as active, light, and masculine, among other things, while yin is still, dark and feminine, yang is not necessarily "the stronger of the two." This is why we see the equality of the intertwining of the two in the symbol, with a part of each within the other. If yang were actually stronger, this duality wouldn't make sense. Granted, it has been a long time since I studied eastern religion and philosophy in college, and my memory is subject to being fallible, but I have tried to keep up on such things.

11. Tames D

Tames D RECKLESS

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Hell, if thats the case I'd hate to see them in white.123