How Chuen Kungfu trailer by Douwe Geluk

Douwe Geluk

White Belt
Reaction score
How Chuen Kungfu is something of a Monkey art. I studied the art under Fred Decramer he said he took the system from Indonesia and learnt it from.Chinese immigrants. So it merely is a form of kungfu or kuntao i suppose.

I trained it for about 10 years but stopped around 1996 . We trained in karate gi's, what were obviously not Chinese outfits.

And the system is about a Standing Tall Monkey art. Maybe the Sasquatch, Bigfoot or Jeti idea. A mythical creature.

Recently i wanted to record what i still knew from the classes, so i made a small home study course with some insights on the system.

Here is a small trailer of the martial arts dvd course, there you see some of the stuff we did before 1996:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could you explain the principles that make this a monkey/yeti/ Bigfoot method? There must be something about it that takes inspiration from assumptions about the animal. From the video I could not tell what they were.

OP
Douwe Geluk

Douwe Geluk

White Belt
Reaction score
Well the teacher called it How Chuen Monkey Kungfu because of:

- Sasquatch Claw

- Monkey Back Kick

- Monkey Forms

- Walking or moving like a Bigfoot (whatever that is)

- Certain scratch techniques

I never achieved full black belt but just a brown belt. One below black.

I truly do not know how authentic this system really is. Some things also looked like a Pencak Salad or something.

Just a mythical animal: like the dragon.