How can i develop power in my knifehand strike?

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I might be imagining it a bit differently from you. But I don't see being able to hit someone in the back of the head with my forum as something that's feasible/possible from a clinch. And even then, in the formats I'm familiar with, you can't whack the back of the head from a clinch.
The only thing close to this I've seen done before is using the forearm for some dumog type stuff. Like use the inside of your forearms against the neck and back of head balistically for clinch set ups or to improve your position to another in the clinch.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@drop bear It's not letting me quote, but that makes sense. In those you're still facing the person just wrapping around with your strike. And pretty much always with the glove. I would think doing the same thing with the elbow (which I think is what wang meant) would be illegal, but I'm not actually sure.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@drop bear It's not letting me quote, but that makes sense. In those you're still facing the person just wrapping around with your strike. And pretty much always with the glove. I would think doing the same thing with the elbow (which I think is what wang meant) would be illegal, but I'm not actually sure.
Is this illegal?

Last edited:

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A great move when the distance is right, good for any part of the head. It's executed (at least by me as a karateka) much like a ridge hand but closer range and more powerful. I don't know if the back of the head is an allowed target nowadays in the various MA's, but I don't train for tournaments.
Or an uraken mawashi would probably work fine so you can hit with seiken instead of ridge of hand. From the front it goes to the temple, step to the side and you can probably easily hit the back of the head if you want to. I find that in fighting class a hook punch sometimes when distance is a little longer ends up beeing almost like mawashi uraken or a mix of both. I use this for he kidney area or armpit area, and if rules allowed if would be easy to just aim same attack to head/temple. This strike feels good and is quite easy for a non experienced like me.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
True power in using a technique is comprised of several components, so my list is not likely complete. Also not every one of these elements are of equal importance but each one has an effect. ELEMENTS: strength, focus, being rooted and dropping one's center, follow-through, speed, correct technique, using the entire body behind the technique, posture, timing, complete penetration of technique, balance, fitness, mental commitment, knowledge of body weak areas and there are others not mentioned. IMHO, if any of these components possibly rises above in importance it would be technique.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Better things to do than mangle your hands preparing for mabye the one or two fights you will get in to.
It's all a matter of perspective. First and foremost if you "Mangle your hands" thru conditioning - you are doing it wrong. I have been doing conditioning for over 25 years. "Tools" conditioned are Forefist, Backfist, Knifehand,, Reverse Knifehand. 3 x a week I do100 reps each tool, each hand as part of my exercise / training routine. This portion of the routine is less than 10 minutes.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I'm gonna try to keep this short. I've been breaking boards rebreakable ones at my dojang. Like 2 weeks ago I broke a green one(equivalent to a 1 in pine) I broke it pretty easy with my non dominant hand. So the other day I figured let's try the next difficulty up with my dominant hand same strike just different hand. I couldn't break it tried 3 times, I did break with an elbow but my right knife hand wouldn't break it. Is there any way I can gain some power on this strike at home? I don't have any punching bags or anything but was wondering if yall could give me some advice on this. Thanks.
Ask your teacher?

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You could try a makiwara but it can hurt your hands if you do it wrong,
I think this is (for me at least) the point ofn something harder, even withoutin a trainer - pain in hands and joints is the feedback. When doing it right, you feel that you deliver high power without having excessive pain in some particular part or joint, the counterforce distribution should be somewhat even along the kinetic chain. This is how I learnd about my left punch, I got temporary pain and I took this as a sign that something was wrong. When asking the teacher howto punch, you get only the generic answers, but deviations in your own anatomy you might have to figure out howto compensate for on your own. So I think pain is an excellent feedback. Same in fighting. Block or evade what hurts, eat the rest.

This is at least my own thinking about this, but I am a beginner indeed, but it seems to make sense for me. As one of our sempais also says sometimes, "this is how I think of this, and i will keep doing it until someone corrects me". Then referring to even higher ranked shihans etc.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"Pain is a great instructor . But, no one wants to go to his class. " Choi Hong Hi.
I know too little of tae-kwon-do, but in my style(kyokushin) a little bit of pain isn't a bad thing. (not to be confused with getting permanently damanged of course; it is just stupid). I suppose there are reasons for all various martial arts as emphasising different things to ones taste.

I enjoy a little bit of moderate pain, it gives you energy, I see it as part of mental conditioning as well. Fighting is at least a little bit painful, so handling pain without loosing focus is part of it, at least for my styles.

One class i even recall all students was encourages to sit on knee and apply a knife hand strike to the wooden floor, just for us all to feel the feedback into the arm and hand, and we where told to of course keep the fingers out of the way.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think this is (for me at least) the point ofn something harder, even withoutin a trainer - pain in hands and joints is the feedback. When doing it right, you feel that you deliver high power without having excessive pain in some particular part or joint, the counterforce distribution should be somewhat even along the kinetic chain. This is how I learnd about my left punch, I got temporary pain and I took this as a sign that something was wrong. When asking the teacher howto punch, you get only the generic answers, but deviations in your own anatomy you might have to figure out howto compensate for on your own. So I think pain is an excellent feedback. Same in fighting. Block or evade what hurts, eat the rest.

This is at least my own thinking about this, but I am a beginner indeed, but it seems to make sense for me. As one of our sempais also says sometimes, "this is how I think of this, and i will keep doing it until someone corrects me". Then referring to even higher ranked shihans etc.
If your teacher gives you generic answers, I’d note that about them. You can seriously mess up your hands doing that training, it’s a teachers job to make sure you’re taking care of your health.

Pain is one thing but you can also develop arthritis or break your hands if you mess with your hands the wrong way.

this is only my opinion though