How can i develop power in my knifehand strike?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks! In that video it looks more like an eye rake am I seeing that right? You strike at the eye then rake down?
Vertical rake doesn’t work very well, too slow, and not very effective without the addition of upward palm to chin to set up. If you want to see someone who is great at getting away with eye pokes in a ring it’s Jon Jones. He does it quite a lot.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why muay thai is so useful. You've got 8 points of attack that you can break. 9 if you include the head.
Good point, though that's not limited to Muay Thai. How many do you think you can break in a single conflict while continuing to fight?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just punch them and get the reconstructive surgery.

Why spend years hardening them.
Yeah I don’t do the hardening thing. I made my living in the operating room, I kinda need my mits to function, at all times. Unfortunately for me mistakes were made and things got broken. Not both at the same time though, isolated incidents.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the sense of a thai clinch. You can wack them.
I might be imagining it a bit differently from you. But I don't see being able to hit someone in the back of the head with my forum as something that's feasible/possible from a clinch. And even then, in the formats I'm familiar with, you can't whack the back of the head from a clinch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might be imagining it a bit differently from you. But I don't see being able to hit someone in the back of the head with my forum as something that's feasible/possible from a clinch. And even then, in the formats I'm familiar with, you can't whack the back of the head from a clinch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930_045906_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930_045906_Google.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 10

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does MT use the inside edge (sharp bone) of the forearm to hit the back of opponent's head?
A great move when the distance is right, good for any part of the head. It's executed (at least by me as a karateka) much like a ridge hand but closer range and more powerful. I don't know if the back of the head is an allowed target nowadays in the various MA's, but I don't train for tournaments.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Imagine clinches as strikes.

Latest Discussions