How bad does not sparring effect you in a real street fight situation ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not at all what he said. He said that standing side on facilitates the blocking and countering of the combination you mentioned.

"Easy to block and counter especially if you are standing side on." Were the words used.

I still think that is a bit optimistic to be honest.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that punching isn't high percentage. I'm saying that there are other things that are equally high.

Actually, I have faced them. I hate to burst your MMA bubble, but just because I don't train MMA, does not mean that a) I can't strike, b) that I can't defend strikes and c) that I haven't trained with quality strikers. And I'm well aware that everything has a counter, and a counter to the counter, and so forth.

Been there, done that. See my above comment. :)

You're preaching to the choir. Furthermore, nobody said anything about having to eat shots before getting in.

The comment about having done defences to combinations is a bit misleading. I have done defences to straight combinations I still eat punches. The reason being they are a high percentage attack. Especially if the other guy is any good.

What else are you suggesting are alternatives?

This is an old clip but
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi49w3__L98

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Easy to block and counter especially if you are standing side on." Were the words used.

Yes, they were. To which you responded:

Just stand side on you think and there is nothing to worry about?
Which is a different premise from "Easy to block and counter, especially if you're standing side on.

I still think that is a bit optimistic to be honest.
Then you feel that his assessment is optimistic, which is something you can take up if you wish (I have no dog in this race). But optimistic is different from nothing to worry about.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The comment about having done defences to combinations is a bit misleading. I have done defences to straight combinations I still eat punches. The reason being they are a high percentage attack. Especially if the other guy is any good.

What else are you suggesting are alternatives?

This is an old clip but
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi49w3__L98

Ah, the beauty of online discussion. See how easy it is to misunderstand things? :) No worries, I'll clarify. :) I'm not some superior MAist that can do anything. I'm just like anyone else...I've been hit..hard, I've hit others, I've avoided shots. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hasn't been hit.

Many times, my teacher has devoted a large portion of the class, to drills. Over and over and over, and then we'd spar and try to apply these drills. As I said, I'm not disputing that strikes aren't good...they are very good. I'm simply saying that some people, no matter how hard I've tried to hit them, have avoided the strikes, and countered with strikes of their own or just kept me at a distance with kicks.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kyokashin head contact is not a joke.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XzrOe_WkY

Yes it was more like street sparring both fights had the elements of sports fights. And shows sports fighting and its transferability to self defence.

The basic mechanics of fighting being applied.

So no it was no surprise to me.

Oh and that is 4 to 1 I think mma working in self defence vs it not working.
I'm not sure why you are telling me Kyokushin head contact is not a joke. I never for one moment considered that it was. I was just pointing out to you that strikes to the head were not part of Kyokushin sparring. My quote went on to say that kicks to the head are permitted and I likened that type of contact to TKD.

Your next para makes no sense. There was no self defence in either clip you showed. What part of it did you think was self defence?

And finally, I'm not sure how well you can comprehend my writing style. I have never said that MMA cannot be used on the street or for self defence. I have no problem with MMA or MMA practitioners unless they misrepresent what I have written.
:asian:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are telling me Kyokushin head contact is not a joke. I never for one moment considered that it was. I was just pointing out to you that strikes to the head were not part of Kyokushin sparring. My quote went on to say that kicks to the head are permitted and I likened that type of contact to TKD.
You are correct.

Just a clarification regarding terminology, kicks are strikes also.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are correct.

Just a clarification regarding terminology, kicks are strikes also.
Maybe it's me being pedantic but in Japanese terminology we have 'tsuki' for punches, 'ate' for smashes, 'uchi' for strikes and 'geri' for kicks or knees ('tsuki' being self explanatory, 'ate' as elbows and 'uchi' as in back fist or forearm).

So agreed, within the wider scheme of things a kick is a strike with the foot. I'm not sure that was the context in which drop bear was using 'strike' though.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just stand side on you think and there is nothing to worry about?

I will clarify a bit. Standing side on presents your opponent with a smaller front-on target, blocking (deflecting) a straight punch to the head may only mean moving your arm 2 or 3 inches. If they want to hit you in the head or body then they have to go around your arms and your elbow protects your ribs from front kicks (ever copped an elbow to the top of the foot or the shin?, Very painful, not much good for the elbow either). To hit the front of your body with a kick or hand strike they have to come from the side, which takes longer. When standing side on one hand is in front of the other, which gives you two lines of defense, if the front hand is trapped or knocked away you have the rear hand as backup. If you are standing completely front on, usually both hands will be roughly the same distance in front (I see it all the time in MMA fights, not taking a dig, just an observation), this means that both hands can be trapped or knocked away at the same time and also leaves a convenient gap between the arms for those one-two punch combinations to get through which just isn't there when you are standing side on. So not "nothing to worry about", just less.

I have done defences to straight combinations I still eat punches.

It pays to watch what you eat, I would suggest that either you practice more or change your tactics so that you eat less and stay healthy. In a self defense situation you can not afford the get hit, not even once. That one hit could be the one that knocks you on your back and causes you to hit your head on the concrete or causes brain damage or breaks a rib and collapses a lung etc.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe it's me being pedantic but in Japanese terminology we have 'tsuki' for punches, 'ate' for smashes, 'uchi' for strikes and 'geri' for kicks or knees ('tsuki' being self explanatory, 'ate' as elbows and 'uchi' as in back fist or forearm).

So agreed, within the wider scheme of things a kick is a strike with the foot. I'm not sure that was the context in which drop bear was using 'strike' though.

If you whack someone over the head with an artificial leg are you striking them or kicking them? :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you whack someone over the head with an artificial leg are you striking them or kicking them? :)
Excellent question!
:hmm:

i suspect if it is attached it is a kick. If it is unattached I go to my fallback position ... it depends. If it is my artificial leg, then I don't have a leg to stand on.
:p

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm familiar with the Japanese terms, but 'striking' in English is just ... striking. You can strike with punches, kicks, canes, or frying pans. :p

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will clarify a bit. Standing side on presents your opponent with a smaller front-on target, blocking (deflecting) a straight punch to the head may only mean moving your arm 2 or 3 inches. If they want to hit you in the head or body then they have to go around your arms and your elbow protects your ribs from front kicks (ever copped an elbow to the top of the foot or the shin?, Very painful, not much good for the elbow either). To hit the front of your body with a kick or hand strike they have to come from the side, which takes longer. When standing side on one hand is in front of the other, which gives you two lines of defense, if the front hand is trapped or knocked away you have the rear hand as backup. If you are standing completely front on, usually both hands will be roughly the same distance in front (I see it all the time in MMA fights, not taking a dig, just an observation), this means that both hands can be trapped or knocked away at the same time and also leaves a convenient gap between the arms for those one-two punch combinations to get through which just isn't there when you are standing side on. So not "nothing to worry about", just less.

It pays to watch what you eat, I would suggest that either you practice more or change your tactics so that you eat less and stay healthy. In a self defense situation you can not afford the get hit, not even once. That one hit could be the one that knocks you on your back and causes you to hit your head on the concrete or causes brain damage or breaks a rib and collapses a lung etc.

Your head size wont change side on or front on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yes when I said strikes I meant punches and kicks specifically to include arts that don't punch to the head. No head contact does not mean you only get kicked in the face.

Even grappling tends to have incidental head striking.

Latest Discussions