Honest question

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this is of any good but I will share it FWIW.

I recently returned from a visit to Korea where I trained for a week with an extraordinary gentleman in hapkiyusool. The reason I mention this at all is that the art does have a collection of kicks (17 in all) which are practiced daily (all 17, done 3x to each side). Now at first thought that doesn't seem like much. Yet my teacher mentioned two very important points.

1.) The preparation for such workouts needs to have a stretching of the joints, rather than the long muscles which is so common in modern warm-ups. At 73 this teacher has been doing two or three of such warm-ups everyday of his life since 1973 and is right out there on the mat with the kids. No arthritis, no tendonitis, no bursitis. Which brings up the second point.

2.) The training does not use high reps, great power or kicking to targets. It is simply a few, well-executed reps done EVERY day. High reps, done at full power once in a while are going damage the body and result in diminished performance and an eroding of training ability. Fewer kicks done with greater focus on range of motion and attention to detail may serve you better.

If you are the kind of person who likes to check out resources you may want to look into the Thomas Kurz training program for further information into joint stretching. Good Luck

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did 5 1/2 years of Tae Kwan Do Moo Duk Kwan.
BAD KNEES!!!
I had a good instructor. It was probably due to my over zealousness in regards to strong kicks. I practiced about 2 hours a day every day outside of classes and went to 8 hours of classes a week.
I got good, but I got many trophies...
I also got repeat surgery on my knees!!!

I suggest doing the training, but keep it sensible and sane.

Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OR
You could get more training time by making an out of school "CLub" out of some of your fellow (or preferably senior) ...getting together and working out together.
just a thought

Your Brother
John

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you kick incorrectly yes, very much so.

You should aim the upper portion of your knee at the portion of the body ypou wish to attack to just before the lower portion of the leg makes its complete movement. If you don't, what happens is the lower portion of the leg moves faster than the upper portion of the leg causing extra pressure on the knee joint cause the soft tissue that supports the knee cap to become inflammed.

Grand master Gene perceval
[email protected]

Latest Discussions