Homemade Training Equipment

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use X-ray film for speed work with our hand strikes. Gives off a nice crackin sound.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of those white buoys for boats (about the size of a couple 2 liter bottles). Rig up some high tension springs on the top & bottom and mount to a wall. Works great for punching.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago Mike Young had a column in one of the martial arts mags. I made his "heavy bag stand" out of threaded galvanized pipe and it worked great. His book, Martial Arts Home Training: The Complete Guide to the Construction and Use of Home Training Equipment, is available through Amazon.com for less than $5 (used).

Currently I'm working on a dummy made out of PVC pipe for a specific training drill from San Miguel Eskrima. I'll post pictures once I have it done.

Best,

Steve Lamade

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I made the equivelant of the "Hurley Stretch Rack" out of wood, steel cables, a couple pulleys and a hand crank. The wood parts are the seat, leg trays, and center board, and the cables pull the legs outward as they run through and under the seat via pulleys to the center post where the crank is. Works great and costs a fraction of the price of the real one..

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my dad to make me a device for building up the forearms. It has a barbell plate with a small rope or thick shoe lace and a stick which is is tied to. The idea is you roll it up so it is completely rolled up then unwind it but don't just let it unwind automatically, you use your hands so up and down is one rep. After a whhile your forearms will burn!

Latest Discussions