Hi

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good Day All!,

Introducing myself...have started martial arts rather late in life, it seems as though I am progressing slower than some of the youngsters at my dojo, but I am enjoying the journey and learning things about myself that I never thought I would know.

My style is Uechi-ryu and have just passed Rokyu (Purple) test after just under a year of study and practice. I am finding that it is getting more and more intense. the good side is that I am starting to see myself becoming more fit and more aware of what is happening around me.

I hope to learn on this board. I have lurking for a few days and have decided to test the water.

- Jeff -

Welcome! Congratulations on your test!

I studied Uechi at Charles Earle's school in RI many years ago and enjoyed it. It's a fascinating style!

...have started martial arts rather late in life, it seems as though I am progressing slower than some of the youngsters at my dojo...

First off, Ave.
Second, don't sweat getting into the game late in life. I'm taking Arnis with a guy who's over 70 who's testing for his black belt in a year. You're never too old...
Enjoy the forums.

Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey: And don't worry about it being "too late" - I know a woman who started at 67, and was still going strong 5 years and a BB later.

welcome to MT. it is never too late to start the arts. i have a student that started with me 6 months ago and her 72nd birthday was today.

Thanks,

Been going through some of the other forums. I think I will enjoy hanging out here.

- Jeff -

hi mate , in my experience as an ex wing chun instructor older people usually train harder and when you tell them to do something they just do it. i used to like teaching them. anyway good luck with your training.

Welcome and congratulations.

Yep, never too late to get into it. There are so many benefits for those of any age.

Best of luck with everything. :)

Back