Hi from Sherman Self Defense! ^_~

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What you are demonstrating by controlling the elbow is absolutely true, how you achieved it is totally wrong. As others have said, your first action should have been with the other hand to deflect the fist with the follow up to the elbow. That is building on an instinctive response as distinct from your defence which requires you to watch the strike, something that ends up with you getting hit unless you move off the line as you did.

I think you just clarified my point for me - UNLESS YOU MOVE OFF THE LINE AS YOU DID. With all due respect, deflecting at the fist first does not always work in a street fight no matter how many martial arts try to teach you that. How do I know? I told my friend what you guys said repeatedly (one of the reasons why I posted in a martial arts forum is to see if I can get constructive criticisms) until he got annoyed (that's why he thinks I am better at teaching) and asked me to try controlling his fingers/wrists/fists/forearms/etc and so I got "beaten up" by him. Pain is the best teacher apparently. LOL In a street fight, your opponent will use all means to attack you and deflecting his wrist is just inviting him to close the gap and elbow your face as he is advancing with his entire bodyweight behind him. Think big guy crowding in on you with a flurry of attacks in a street fight - this is where most traditional martial arts training is flawed. Train with Aliveness and you will know this:

Please don't get me wrong though. If you are a trained martial artist, you can probably deflect the fist and control the elbow next (this is almost impossible with my friend's correct body structure and attacks from the centerline with his elbows tugged in - deflecting his fist is like deflecting his entire body weight and is only possible if you are a trained martial artist that can move in with the weight of your entire body as well) but since what I am rightfully showing is self defense, if there is one thing you want to remember is to move out of the line of attack first. A person who is not trained in martial arts will most likely freeze. This is even more so if your mind is focused on deflecting the fist. So, what I am teaching is simply that we have to control the elbows (both yours and your opponent's) and even if you have no martial arts experience and you remember this one bit of information while someone is already pummeling you, it might just save your life. I must repeat that if you are in the middle and long distance (as in my distance management video), move out of the line of attack and run if you can:

I do appreciate your constructive criticisms but I do not appreciate you telling me not to put up my video. Never did I once say it is expert advice or the only way to do it. It is merely something I am teaching from my friend's practical experience. I won't dream of making this video series if he weren't supervising me and I am just basing it on my martial arts training (and yes, I do have an internationally recognized black belt if that even matters).

Anyway, no hard feelings. Thank you for your input which encouraged me to write the above although my friend told me not to bother teaching anyone who does not want to learn -> This is part of the reason he doesn't teach and I feel that it is such a waste because he is such a good fighter. :asian:

@Tranks53, my friend was a street fighter before and was brought up as a traditional martial artist since he could walk because he came from a family who learned that. He loves martial arts and wants to preserve the tradition but acknowledges that most techniques do not work in a street fight. When he was a kid, he was dragged into gang fights and had to face stuff like cars with 5 gangsters in them suddenly stopping and coming out to attack him with weapons. He once traveled to China to train in Shaolin and other martial arts. He even managed to defeat the monks there(friendly fight of course since he has full respect for tradition and he will not challenge masters directly). These days, he doesn't really street fight anymore but he still challenges exponents from other martial arts - Thai Kickboxing, Taekwando, Baqua, Aikido, (western boxing), etc. This year, he got attacked by a mugger with a knife who hid behind a car. Unfortunately for the thief, my friend disarmed him and smashed his head into a car window, taking him out immediately. At the police station, my friend had to deal with the car owner more than the thief. He was asked whether he wanted to press charges against the thief but he didn't because the poor guy was already beaten up enough and should have learned his lesson. Perhaps this incident encouraged him to ask me to teach self defense based on his experience.

Anyway, I think I am about done teaching what I have learned for free (maybe just one more to round it up at 5 episodes) and will probably move on to more short action fantasy film stuff, which is more where my interest lies. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I genuinely appreciate all the constructive criticisms. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherman said:
@Tranks53, my friend was a street fighter before and was brought up as a traditional martial artist since he could walk because he came from a family who learned that. He loves martial arts and wants to preserve the tradition but acknowledges that most techniques do not work in a street fight. When he was a kid, he was dragged into gang fights and had to face stuff like cars with 5 gangsters in them suddenly stopping and coming out to attack him with weapons. He once traveled to China to train in Shaolin and other martial arts. He even managed to defeat the monks there(friendly fight of course since he has full respect for tradition and he will not challenge masters directly). These days, he doesn't really street fight anymore but he still challenges exponents from other martial arts - Thai Kickboxing, Taekwando, Baqua, Aikido, (western boxing), etc. This year, he got attacked by a mugger with a knife who hid behind a car. Unfortunately for the thief, my friend disarmed him and smashed his head into a car window, taking him out immediately. At the police station, my friend had to deal with the car owner more than the thief. He was asked whether he wanted to press charges against the thief but he didn't because the poor guy was already beaten up enough and should have learned his lesson. Perhaps this incident encouraged him to ask me to teach self defense based on his experience.

Mr Parker is probably best served dissecting this. I can't argue against the resultant action with the mugger. I will not disrespect you're friend or yourself as martial artists. What I will say is with you're friends background, the inference is clear. I think the term "Street Fighter" does not fit. Why, there is know such thing. There are only gang members and runners, and back street brawlers. The rest are just idiots who have watched too much Jackie Chan.

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! :) I just discovered the self defense sub-forum and am posting there now: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/90...ackbelts-***-warning-explicit-content-11.html

Perhaps the videos I've made are too martial arts oriented so if I do make future ones, it will be more self defense oriented and practical. The mindset is completely different. It is a matter of survival. There are just too many variables in a real fight. The correct mindset for self defense is to run and act (cry, plead for your life, pretend to be dying, scream, etc.) if you can't run. Acting and distraction will save your life. Throw your shoes if you have to. It will cause your opponent to blink and give you enough time to run. When you run, don't run straight without thinking unless you are super fast runner. Run towards objects that you can use to throw or protect yourself with. Run circles around a car if you have to. Run towards a chair to protect yourself against knives. Take the chair and run around a table or head towards a doorway where only one attacker can reach you at a time and fend him off with the chair. Run to a place with CCTV cameras and people. Not many gangsters want to get caught on camera. Attackers who just lost their temper might calm down while chasing you. Shout for help. Some people might help you or at least call the police. Only if all else fails, use self defense to fight. Always use objects that you can find, use terrain to help you - push your opponent into a drain if you have to, use your teeth to bite, nails to claw off skin and eyes, palm to strike his ears, Elbow Up to his face (see episode 1 of my video series) - keep attacking the same spot multiple times if you are afraid you will miss. Pay attention to your opponent's elbows and knees. Your opponent can a super skilled martial artist with a super strong punch but if you know how to move around (watch the distance management video above), he's not going to be able to land that punch or if he does, it would not be at its full intensity. Run and start throwing sharp items at him and even Bruce Lee has to think twice about attacking you. Break off a car mirror and use it to protect yourself against your opponent. If he is dumb enough to punch it, let the glass cut him. That's the creative mindset you need to have in a self defense situation. Jump around like a monkey and see if a black belt martial artist can even catch you to execute his move. Run and suddenly turn around and pepper spray him in the face. That's the self defense mindset no matter how skilled you think you are because you never know when your opponent's friend are preparing to kick your head, stab you or shoot you when you execute your move - don't forget that the adrenaline rush gives you a narrow field of focus. Throw your ego out the window in a street fight (and by street fight, I mean fighting in real life city situations without rules where your only priority is survival).

Martial arts is great to improve your self confidence but in a real life situation, there are too many variables no matter how good you think you are. Also, bad people are unlikely to attack you one-on-one. If they are stupid enough to do so, they are probably not very skilled themselves. Their friends are waiting to whack you in the head. So never engage your opponent in a self defense situation unless you really have no other choice. Most of the time, you have some other choice.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! :) I just discovered the self defense sub-forum and am posting there now: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/90...ackbelts-***-warning-explicit-content-11.html

Perhaps the videos I've made are too martial arts oriented so if I do make future ones, it will be more self defense oriented and practical. The mindset is completely different. It is a matter of survival. There are just too many variables in a real fight. The correct mindset for self defense is to run and act (cry, plead for your life, pretend to be dying, scream, etc.) if you can't run. Acting and distraction will save your life. Throw your shoes if you have to. It will cause your opponent to blink and give you enough time to run. When you run, don't run straight without thinking unless you are super fast runner. Run towards objects that you can use to throw or protect yourself with. Run circles around a car if you have to. Run towards a chair to protect yourself against knives. Take the chair and run around a table or head towards a doorway where only one attacker can reach you at a time and fend him off with the chair. Run to a place with CCTV cameras and people. Not many gangsters want to get caught on camera. Attackers who just lost their temper might calm down while chasing you. Shout for help. Some people might help you or at least call the police. Only if all else fails, use self defense to fight. Always use objects that you can find, use terrain to help you - push your opponent into a drain if you have to, use your teeth to bite, nails to claw off skin and eyes, palm to strike his ears, Elbow Up to his face (see episode 1 of my video series) - keep attacking the same spot multiple times if you are afraid you will miss. Pay attention to your opponent's elbows and knees. Your opponent can a super skilled martial artist with a super strong punch but if you know how to move around (watch the distance management video above), he's not going to be able to land that punch or if he does, it would not be at its full intensity. Run and start throwing sharp items at him and even Bruce Lee has to think twice about attacking you. Break off a car mirror and use it to protect yourself against your opponent. If he is dumb enough to punch it, let the glass cut him. That's the creative mindset you need to have in a self defense situation. Jump around like a monkey and see if a black belt martial artist can even catch you to execute his move. Run and suddenly turn around and pepper spray him in the face. That's the self defense mindset no matter how skilled you think you are because you never know when your opponent's friend are preparing to kick your head, stab you or shoot you when you execute your move - don't forget that the adrenaline rush gives you a narrow field of focus. Throw your ego out the window in a street fight (and by street fight, I mean fighting in real life city situations without rules where your only priority is survival).

Martial arts is great to improve your self confidence but in a real life situation, there are too many variables no matter how good you think you are. Also, bad people are unlikely to attack you one-on-one. If they are stupid enough to do so, they are probably not very skilled themselves. Their friends are waiting to whack you in the head. So never engage your opponent in a self defense situation unless you really have no other choice. Most of the time, you have some other choice.
Yep! Right. :hmm:

Have you considered sticking to your day job?

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep! Right. :hmm:

Have you considered sticking to your day job?

Thank you for your concern. I'm a game developer and I am sticking to it. Check out the Alpha Kimori PC JRPG on Steam: Alpha Kimori? 1 on Steam

As mentioned before, what I am doing on Youtube is for free (there are no ads on it even) and passing on the self defense knowledge from my friend who is very experienced. Hopefully, it will help someone. :asian:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As mentioned before, what I am doing on Youtube is for free (there are no ads on it even) and passing on the self defense knowledge from my friend who is very experienced. Hopefully, it will help someone. :asian:

The bolded is the biggest issue I'm seeing immediately… I've run out of time to go through it all tonight, but will come back to this thread to cover in detail… but this is a big indication of the problems…

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so put simply what you're saying Sherman is that YOU actually have NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL of any form of self defence apart from your ma ?????

that right there is enough for you to quit self defence before something goes really wrong and you get the blame for it cos someone saw your videos and acted as YOU'VE told them to.

forget the fact that your so called friend is advising you --- IT'S YOU THAT IS TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO !!!!! and therein lies the biggest problem that you've got. if it was you speaking from experience then it might be plausable but it's not you are describing what someone else did whilst you werre not there -- holy s%^t -- the fact that you've not actually experienced anything remotely violent leads me to suspect that you're just jumping on the sd band wagon of deeply flawed sd classes.

why is your friend not doing the videos instead of you ????? i mean if he's got the experience then shouldn't he be telling us all what to do ????? including yourself ????? over the two threads you've demonstrated a complete lack of anything sd orientated and would cause the person needing the sd techniques to be undone bigtime.

sorry but you need to go away and learn sd from someone that actually knows how to perform it properly. in case your questioning me i've got a full door staff certificate -- this alone tells me that you do not know your stuff -- and a background deeply entrenched in muay thai.

suggest that you go away and think again..........

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
why is your friend not doing the videos instead of you ????? i mean if he's got the experience then shouldn't he be telling us all what to do ????? including yourself ????? over the two threads you've demonstrated a complete lack of anything sd orientated and would cause the person needing the sd techniques to be undone bigtime.

Because he is not into filming himself for privacy purposes and given the responses I am receiving here, it is clearly the right choice that he has made. However, he is telling me what to do behind the scenes in my video series and supervising. If you guys haven't already realized, I am the "actor" and most knowledge passed on is based on my friend's experience although coming from a martial arts background myself, I am qualified to convey it unlike a true actor.

I will make this general statement (but not addressing anyone in particular) to those who think what I am showing is wrong. Isn't this the same kind of behavior when you go into a self defense or martial arts school and they you that everything else someone else is teaching is wrong? The truth is that there are many variables to account for in reality. Nothing ever goes as planned. Obviously, I am not going to memorize a particular self defense technique and think that it will work in all real life situations. This is not ring fighting or where there are any rules. In self defense, different techniques and principles apply depending on the situation.

Self defense starts in the mind. I have had my fair share of dangerous self defense situations to deal with in real life and have dealt with most of them without escalating the problem into a physical fight mostly because of my Aikido training. Most were resolved with proper discussion and only a few escalated into physical contact.

Right now, it would seem that the vocal group here thinks that they are right and is expressing it in a very snarky manner although I have been nothing but polite and open to discussion. It seems like herd mentality. I have seen this happen in real life in the martial arts and self defense classes I have attended. Usually, I will let it pass but this time, it seems like the perfect self defense scenario that starts in the mind. If you let others bully you and make you think that you don't belong because you are different, then you have already lost the self defense mindset. To those who ostracize others, you should be ashamed of yourselves. For the silent majority who have been supporting me, thank you very much and if there is just one thing that is worth remembering in self defense is that it really starts in the mind. Stay positive and don't be afraid if others bully you:

a_827_20140902152207.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK so you are going to re invent martial arts based on you mate who has been in a fight. But your mate cant prove he fights and does not fight anybody any good. And is so super secret that nobody ever sees him.

You don't fight and don't compete and don't even do live or resisted training. So nothing really shows that your stuff will work ever. Except a all comers challenge from your mate who I assume is half the world away. And so far has not challenged anybody.

So you have jumped on the YouTube to present your system to people who do fight,do compete and have come from systemscthat have more practical history than a bunch of street fights.

And when they try to tell you that most of that really won't work. You are getting all defensive. Because you are not charging us for this?

At this point you are surprised you are receiving snark?

Let's leave you with some ashida Kim. Who also dances to the beat of his own drum.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsndq9sGpA

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because he is not into filming himself for privacy purposes and given the responses I am receiving here, it is clearly the right choice that he has made. However, he is telling me what to do behind the scenes in my video series and supervising. If you guys haven't already realized, I am the "actor" and most knowledge passed on is based on my friend's experience although coming from a martial arts background myself, I am qualified to convey it unlike a true actor.

I will make this general statement (but not addressing anyone in particular) to those who think what I am showing is wrong. Isn't this the same kind of behavior when you go into a self defense or martial arts school and they you that everything else someone else is teaching is wrong? The truth is that there are many variables to account for in reality. Nothing ever goes as planned. Obviously, I am not going to memorize a particular self defense technique and think that it will work in all real life situations. This is not ring fighting or where there are any rules. In self defense, different techniques and principles apply depending on the situation.

Self defense starts in the mind. I have had my fair share of dangerous self defense situations to deal with in real life and have dealt with most of them without escalating the problem into a physical fight mostly because of my Aikido training. Most were resolved with proper discussion and only a few escalated into physical contact.

Right now, it would seem that the vocal group here thinks that they are right and is expressing it in a very snarky manner although I have been nothing but polite and open to discussion. It seems like herd mentality. I have seen this happen in real life in the martial arts and self defense classes I have attended. Usually, I will let it pass but this time, it seems like the perfect self defense scenario that starts in the mind. If you let others bully you and make you think that you don't belong because you are different, then you have already lost the self defense mindset. To those who ostracize others, you should be ashamed of yourselves. For the silent majority who have been supporting me, thank you very much and if there is just one thing that is worth remembering in self defense is that it really starts in the mind. Stay positive and don't be afraid if others bully you:
OK. We will try a different tack. You are being told by a lot of people with lots of knowledge that what you have demonstrated is wrong. It is wrong in principle, nothing to do with bullying. I would love to see you post good SD videos for us to watch. But when you post material as advice on what to do if you are in a fight, it needs to be sound advice. It needs to fit principles that apply right across the spectrum. Now your mate made a wise decision not to perform in front of the camera because if he had done we would be telling him that he was wrong instead of you. That is assuming that you actually did what he suggested you did.

Let's address your accusation that if you go to different schools you will get different advice. That is sure to happen because there are many different styles and they will address a particular attack in the way their system teaches. That is not to suggest that they will say another system is wrong, just that a particular scenario is handled differently. But across the board there are principles that all systems have in common and that is where your defence falls down. The way you have demonstrated might work against a half hearted attack from someone who isn't really trying to hit you but I'll guarantee if you tried it against any one of my guys you would be hit. Simple.

Now you claim to have an Aikido background. Really? I mean the first technique taught in Aikido is ikkyo. It teaches how to receive an attack and it uses two hands. In karate we use two hands and in Krav I teach it with two hands. All of a sudden you spring up with a new system that is so advanced that you can place your hand on the elbow of someone throwing a full speed punch at your face. Not only that but you told us that you had made a mistake saying it was a defence that experienced martial artists would use but it is really designed for those with no knowledge. Well believe me when I say, an inexperienced person using the defence you demonstrated would be like a deer in the headlights, and will end up the same way.
:asian:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sherman said:
If you let others bully you and make you think that you don't belong because you are different, then you have already lost the self defense mindset.

Not really. Bullies rely on trying to intimidate you for sure, but you don't lose the self defense mindset. That manifests itself in "fight or flight" None of the peeps on here are trying to ostracize you, and being an adult living with autism I know what that can feel like, but you have opened yourself up to dissection. Since I joined this site, I have seen "linage" used quite extensively. I already asked you about you're friends background (I may have missed it somewhere) and what he has studied. I personally find that quite disturbing. Still, if I started eulogizing about TKD for example, and then proceeded to talk about the different kicks and strikes, too right I should be questioned. I have minimal physical exposure to TKD, and quite rightly should get ripped down by even a White belt. I don't practice TKD. Same difference here Sherman ;)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you've totally missed the point.

what you're advocating in what you say and what you've shown is downright wrong plain simple and would leave the person trying your methods in serious s%^t.

i come from a 20plus year background in muay thai and and know what i'm doing and talking about and if i was to use your advice then and it all went a bit pete tong i'd be suing you for wrongful guidance.

personally i think that you're ma skills are either not there or you've done one or two classes and think by doing that you're some kind of expert. anyone with any sense will tell you that

the natural raction to receiving a punch is to cover your face (try boxing / muay thai / mma etc)

NOT

by going for the elbow which quite frankly is hit and miss and that depends on whether you've sussed the angle that it's coming from before you hit the floor. you lead with two hands, you defend with two hands cos you've got a far greater chance of still being in one piece at the end of it.

your advice will lead more people to be hospitalised.

i think that the people actually following your advice are going to end up in a really bad way.

oh and before you start crying off we've been there, we compete on a regular basis, we've seen the damage that can be done and yet even with all this knowledge on tap you still advocate doing things your way -- that i don't understand.....

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you studied the different MA's then you'll see one common theme running through them all and that is self protection --- doesn't matter which MA you pick - there's leg blocks, arm blocks, deflections, parries, step outs, step ins.......

there's none of this in your advice - there's nothing remotely useful in anything that you've put thst would lead to a successful outcome for the person using those skills.

sorry but i think you need to go back to the drawing board take down your video posts and start with some real self defence stuff cos like i said i honestly don't believe you've got an MA background.

go away and think again.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shudder to think if it does indeed go all Pete Tong, he would be wading through cheese. For me personally, this thread has led to a lot of insight from you peeps. I am thankful for that at least :)

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'm waiting for Mr Parker to come in and rip all this apart and correct where he feels necessary :)

he's not been wrong yet and he sure as hell knows his stuff :)

sherman you'd be a lot better off asking Mr Parker for his thoughts on how to improve things either that or get out of the self defence industry.........

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shudder to think if it does indeed go all Pete Tong, he would be wading through cheese. For me personally, this thread has led to a lot of insight from you peeps. I am thankful for that at least :)

no worreez :) - i think that those of us that have contributed in this thread and showing / proving sherman to be incorrect in what he's doing will be happy with your statement :)

it just gets me big time when somebody doing something so flawed is putting it out there as gospel truth when it's far from that :(

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, here's the video showing elbow control but with weapons:

Welcome to MT!

Not sure what the point of this vid is though? I've played squash before and no-one ever attacked me with a sword.

Mind you it's been a few years so maybe the rules have changed since then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK so you are going to re invent martial arts based on you mate who has been in a fight. But your mate cant prove he fights and does not fight anybody any good. And is so super secret that nobody ever sees him.

You don't fight and don't compete and don't even do live or resisted training. So nothing really shows that your stuff will work ever. Except a all comers challenge from your mate who I assume is half the world away. And so far has not challenged anybody.

So you have jumped on the YouTube to present your system to people who do fight,do compete and have come from systemscthat have more practical history than a bunch of street fights.

And when they try to tell you that most of that really won't work. You are getting all defensive. Because you are not charging us for this?

At this point you are surprised you are receiving snark?

Let's leave you with some ashida Kim. Who also dances to the beat of his own drum.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsndq9sGpA

Holy cr@p I thought he'd killed his mate!

I could actually see him all through that video though, does that mean I've got super powers?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

Not sure what the point of this vid is though? I've played squash before and no-one ever attacked me with a sword.

Mind you it's been a few years so maybe the rules have changed since then.
OMG! I had missed this one. Just don't get me started!

Latest Discussions