Hi from Sherman Self Defense! ^_~

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I am new here. My name is Sherman. I started out in Aikido when I was 18 or so. Got my black belt after about 10 years. Then I learned Shorinji Kempo (Japanese Shaolin branch) until I was 2nd Kyu. At the same time, I picked up a bit of Wah San and Pak Mei Kung Fu. These days, I train more with my friend who was a street fighter as I discovered that most of the martial arts I know doesn't work against him. Recently, I have started my own Youtube channel on Self Defense based on what I have learned:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBmbdxq9eG0vYMHTjSSoaUcLL0y87-yj5.

Here is a sample episode:

Anyway, nice to be here and I hope to get feedback from you guys on what works and what doesn't. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
welcome to martial talk :)

by the way nice vid sir :)

there's a thread called "applied centre line theory" (i think) would be well worth you digging out and watching cos it looks like the stuff that's in your vid :)

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome, compliment, and suggestion donnaTKD! ^_^ I actually found this forum via the "applied centre line theory" thread while I was googling "centerline" when I wasn't sure what the term was for my video. ^_^;;; Anyway, nice to know you and please do check out my other video clips too! More on the way! ^_^

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi! I am new here. My name is Sherman. I started out in Aikido when I was 18 or so. Got my black belt after about 10 years. Then I learned Shorinji Kempo (Japanese Shaolin branch) until I was 2nd Kyu. At the same time, I picked up a bit of Wah San and Pak Mei Kung Fu. These days, I train more with my friend who was a street fighter as I discovered that most of the martial arts I know doesn't work against him

Hi, nice to meet you welcome to martial talk

Interesting video

n my opinion it can and cannot, there's some techniques that don't work on people as effective as others. But it also depends how you use the technique. I know when I practice techniques they get better through practice and the better I get the more effective they are. I know a good example in kobudo, with practicing nunchaku vs bo staff; i thought it would be very difficult to block a bo staff with nunchaku (its still not my preferred weapon but now I can easily block bo staff with nunchaku because I practiced and learned what's effective

That may not be the case but this is my opinion though
Best of luck

OP
S

Sherman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your welcome and opinion, donald1! Here's another Youtube video that someone from the Bullshido forum recommended me to watch, which might be useful in determining whether training is effective or not notwithstanding the effectiveness of the technique itself:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this a joke?

Please don't try and pak sau the elbow , that is just stupid.
Parry the wrist , that is the point where you will have the most leverage.
Trying to parry the elbow is like closing the gate after the horse has already bolted , parrying at the elbow lets the punch build up to much power and momentum , its a wonder you haven't been hit already.

If you are going to borrow Wing Chun concepts at least learn to do the damn things properly , and using the centerline effectively means a lot more than just aiming your strikes at it.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this a joke?

Trying to parry the elbow is like closing the gate after the horse has already bolted , parrying at the elbow lets the punch build up to much power and momentum , its a wonder you haven't been hit already.

If you are going to borrow Wing Chun concepts at least learn to do the damn things properly , and using the centerline effectively means a lot more than just aiming your strikes at it.

I had the same thoughts when watching the video. But you could at least welcome the guy to our god damn site before driving him away, lol.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had the same thoughts when watching the video. But you could at least welcome the guy to our god damn site before driving him away, lol.

Yeah you are right , where are my manners?

Welcome to the site Sherman , and say hello to Mr Peabody for me.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and thank you for sharing your video. :wavey:

To be honest the best part was the defence against the knife. I'm sorry but I am with Mook here. The rest is flawed but a welcome thread is not to place to analyse it. On the other hand, I really liked the second video you posted on aliveness. It contains advice that a lot of instructors should take on board.
:asian:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi! I am new here. My name is Sherman. I started out in Aikido when I was 18 or so. Got my black belt after about 10 years. Then I learned Shorinji Kempo (Japanese Shaolin branch) until I was 2nd Kyu. At the same time, I picked up a bit of Wah San and Pak Mei Kung Fu. These days, I train more with my friend who was a street fighter as I discovered that most of the martial arts I know doesn't work against him. Recently, I have started my own Youtube channel on Self Defense based on what I have learned:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBmbdxq9eG0vYMHTjSSoaUcLL0y87-yj5.

Here is a sample episode:

Anyway, nice to be here and I hope to get feedback from you guys on what works and what doesn't. ^_^

Hi Sherman,

Welcome to the forum!

As has been mentioned, this isn't really the place for a video critique, however I will say that there are a range of aspects I'd want to bring up… if you re-post it in another section (such as the "Members in Motion" section).

Thanks for your welcome and opinion, donald1! Here's another Youtube video that someone from the Bullshido forum recommended me to watch, which might be useful in determining whether training is effective or not notwithstanding the effectiveness of the technique itself:

Ha, bring this one over as well… I haven't pulled Matt Thornton and his "aliveness" concept apart for a while…

Is this a joke?

To be frank, MJM, I completely disagree with this on a number of levels. Parrying the elbow is preferable to the wrist, as it's a much higher return action… but it needs to be coupled with a few other things.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Sherman,

Welcome to the forum!

As has been mentioned, this isn't really the place for a video critique, however I will say that there are a range of aspects I'd want to bring up… if you re-post it in another section (such as the "Members in Motion" section).

Ha, bring this one over as well… I haven't pulled Matt Thornton and his "aliveness" concept apart for a while…

To be frank, MJM, I completely disagree with this on a number of levels. Parrying the elbow is preferable to the wrist, as it's a much higher return action… but it needs to be coupled with a few other things.

It might cut off the opportunity for them to convert into an elbow strike , it may have more of an effect on their balance because the contact point is closer to the body and cutting out an extra lever.

But bloody hell Chris you'd want to be damn quick and very precise to pull off what he is doing , he has no margin for error.
If he misses that parry on the elbow , he is getting drilled straight through the head.

If I were to do what he is doing , and that is a very big if , I would also step out at angle to get off the path of the punch and have my other hand up to shield or guard.
There is no secondary defence with what he is doing , he has no back up if he misses that parry.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does that mean?

It means the punch is already well on it's way to the target before you have decided to do something about it.

Let's put it this way , you have a missile launcher and fire a missile at me.
I have a missile launcher as well that fires an intercepting missile.

Do I wait until your missile is almost upon me before I launch my intercepting missile or do I launch mine as soon as I see that yours has been launched?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It might cut off the opportunity for them to convert into an elbow strike , it may have more of an effect on their balance because the contact point is closer to the body and cutting out an extra lever.

But bloody hell Chris you'd want to be damn quick and very precise to pull off what he is doing , he has no margin for error.
If he misses that parry on the elbow , he is getting drilled straight through the head.

If I were to do what he is doing , and that is a very big if , I would also step out at angle to get off the path of the punch and have my other hand up to shield or guard.
There is no secondary defence with what he is doing , he has no back up if he misses that parry.

As I said, I'd do it differently… but the idea of parrying the elbow is solid, and more reliable. It's moving slower than the wrist, it's easier to hit, and offers more control than trying to use the wrist for leverage (which is limited by the fact that the elbow can bend).

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said, I'd do it differently… but the idea of parrying the elbow is solid, and more reliable. It's moving slower than the wrist, it's easier to hit, and offers more control than trying to use the wrist for leverage (which is limited by the fact that the elbow can bend).

Well I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do , in Wing Chun we are only trying to shift that punch a fraction so that we can fit our own punch through.

The elbow might be moving slower , but it also takes more effort to try and move , as an experiment you can get a big strapping young lad to hold his arm out rigid and then you try and push his arm sideways from the elbow and then later from the wrist , and see which one requires less effort.

But at the end of the day , you have your way which works for you and we have our way that works for us.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except that method of "testing" is a false reading… an arm in motion is very different to one being held out rigid… and I'm not Wing Chun…

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Clearly, you'll get some responses if you post your videos in one of the discussion fora...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Sherman!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It means the punch is already well on it's way to the target before you have decided to do something about it.

Let's put it this way , you have a missile launcher and fire a missile at me.
I have a missile launcher as well that fires an intercepting missile.

Do I wait until your missile is almost upon me before I launch my intercepting missile or do I launch mine as soon as I see that yours has been launched?

Of course, it might also be that you're using different tactics and principles...

Latest Discussions