Not open for further replies.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask the MartialTalk family to evaluate a new logo for my organization.

I would appreciate all input but especially from the ladies and gentlemen of the Philippines or those knowlegeable about Philippine culture.

I wanted to have a logo that shows respect and tribute for the Philippines and do not want to unintentially offend anyone of from there.

Please examine the attached file and let me know if it is offensive in anyway. If it is, I will not use it!!!!!

Maraming salamat,

Harold Evans
FCS-Kali North Carolina State Rep

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
you would think that with today's P.C technology and programs that you would come up with a better design than that....

Rather than just saying, "you could do better" -- why not explain what you think is wrong with it.

Mike

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you would think that with today's P.C technology and programs that you would come up with a better design than that....

Are you a TOTAL *** or what?

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
well it looks like a first grade crayola drawing for starters!
doesnt it.

Also the sun and stars on our flag looks notthing like the drawing, at least make an accurate repesentation of our flag to show respect. How would you like the american flag to be misinterpreted on a poster??? Do some reseach and do your banner properly spend some time on it as i said before it looks like a 1st grade drawing..
also if your not filipino show something of your own culture.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Are you a TOTAL *** or what?

he asked for an evaluation of his design he is offending filipino people by not drawing the stars and sun properly in the first place, this is one aspect that should be altered.

he also has asked for true opinions

your the total *** if you can honestly say that that should be the finish product...
also be honest why do you think its cool?
How?

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well it looks like a first grade crayola drawing for starters!
doesnt it.

No, actually, it doesn't. Unless you're referring to the graininess of the image. That has nothing to do with the graphic. That has to do with getting the file down to a reasonable size.

Also, I assume that this is a "concept" drawing, not a final version. Could be wrong. But even if it is a final version, I think it's decent.

Can you do any better?

Also the sun and stars on our flag looks notthing like the drawing, at least make an accurate repesentation of our flag to show respect. How would you like the american flag to be misinterpreted on a poster??? Do some reseach and do your banner properly spend some time on it as i said before it looks like a 1st grade drawing..

Umm ... what do you mean it "looks nothing like" ... it obviously looks something like it or you wouldn't have been able to recognize it as such.

But, I agree, it could be a bit more detailed ... again, assuming this is supposed to be a final draft. If it's a concept draft then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

For reference, though, Palusut, here's a link to a good image of the flag: http://www.flags.net/elements/gif_flags/PHIL001.GIF

also if your not filipino show something of your own culture.

This, though, I kind of agree with in a sideways kind of manner.

Have you thought about maybe incorporating the NC or US flag into it somewhere?

Mike

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

your the total *** if you can honestly say that that should be the finish product...
also be honest why do you think its cool?
How?

He asked what people thought. He didn't say this was the final product. When I have my graphics done I hack out a prototype and ask for feed back. After that I take it to a pro. He asked for input, not to be trashed.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Its not the computer or applications that do the job for you any more than a good stick or knife defends you...its the person working the tools that makes it work. I'd be out of a job if everybody could do there own design work on a computer. I'm a professional art director/graphic designer in an advertising agency as well as a teacher of graphic design and communication arts at our community college. Some people can tell you if a logo is cool or not...I can tell you why it works or why it doesn't. See my brief review of this logo in Palusut's other post in FMA.

And don't be so hard the guy...this is ten times better than what I get from clients (showing me there ideas). Harold if you would like some help on this let me know and I'll work with you to put something polished together for you, no charge.

Andy

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisandyz

And don't be so hard the guy...this is ten times better than what I get from clients (showing me there ideas). Harold if you would like some help on this let me know and I'll work with you to put something polished together for you, no charge.

Andy

Well I'm no FMArtist, but, yeah from an outsider's point of view it looked good to me... :cool:

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!!

The thing that I understand about MartialTalk is the number of talented people who post on this site.

There is enough experienced people whose collective experience if totalled would be in the 100's of years and 1000's of hours.

That's the power of a public forum.

MoroMoro,

Here are some feedback to some of your points:

1) This is a concept drawing but more importantly it was a project for one of my students who is trying to polish her skills in Graphics Design. Another student (her brother) was her model for the pose. My upbringing calls for me to invest in my students in the same way my instructors have invested and mentored me.

2) Art is art, it does not mean it will be an exact replica of a thing. Sometimes its impressionistic in nature. The heart of this work is wanting to show the Philippines proper respect and recognition for the Art that the Professor had given to us and that though a branch of FCS-Kali is based in North Carolina, the heart and soul of the art is from the Philippines.

You can talk about how great your Grandmaster is, and people would like to know more of him, however if it wasn't for the Philippines and Grandmaster Remy A. Presas dream of seeing it talked first to his people and then to the world, would this public forum be here?

Again apart of my upbringing and culture is give credit where credit is due.

Do you know that about the time you were born, Grandmaster Presas and Guro Dan Inosanto both stated in seperate books that Arnis was a dying art in the Philippines?

It took courageous men and women to teach this art and to start teaching it to outsiders. Some left their homes in the Philippines to be able to come to the US and Australia to live a better life. And we in the US have benefited as much as those who study this art in Germany and other parts of the world.

I would like to suggest to you that you quickly open a thread about your Grandmasters and their history before your unprofessional antics close the door on people being interested in learning about their deep contribution to the art from you. That way you can bring more to the table than just armchair critiques.

In closing:

"I want all of you to know that my art is now your art, because I have given to you. Please take it as a gift from the Philippines."

Paraphrased quote from Grandmaster Remy A. Presas

Harold Evans

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Harold,

Your student did a good job. Please pass my comments on to her as they were meant to be constructive and to make the logo even better. Please explain I am not trying to make her do it my way, but only offer options and suggestions that could be explored. I've work with student designers for 5 years and i really enjoy watching thier growth. Tell her to stick with her graphic design studies, theres not a day that goes by that I'm grateful for what I do for a living, its a great career choice.

Andy

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Palusut,

I'm no graphics designer or anything like that. But, my first impression is that the prototype design looks like. I'm sure that there will be improvements made upon the original design pursuant some of the HELPFUL suggestions on this forum. One of the unhelpful posters should change his handle to "moronmoron."
:D

Good seeing you a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful baby girl that you have !

Take care,
Brian

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhoopAss
One of the unhelpful posters should change his handle to "moronmoron."
:D

While I agree that his initial post wasn't helpful and that he can be somewhat abrasive, that's no reason to insult him.

Mike

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
While I agree that his initial post wasn't helpful and that he can be somewhat abrasive, that's no reason to insult him.

Mike

Well, I was just following the lead of Renegade. :cool: I should point out that the problem is more than his abrasiveness. First, he called a member of this forum "pathetic." Now, he resorts to calling Palusut's proposed logo as the work of a first grader. Abrasive ? It's more than that. So I think that Renegade was justified in what he said. Ditto for me.

Take care,
Brian

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WhoopAss
Well, I was just following the lead of Renegade. :cool: I should point out that the problem is more than his abrasiveness. First, he called a member of this forum "pathetic." Now, he resorts to calling Palusut's proposed logo as the work of a first grader. Abrasive ? It's more than that. So I think that Renegade was justified in what he said. Ditto for me.

Take care,
Brian

Yes, and Renegade really shouldn't have flown off the handle like that either. It accomplishes nothing. If everyone starts doing it then the board will degenerate into an endless string of insults and that's not why any of us are here.

The mods are dealing with the situation... that's our job :)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions