Help me choose a new MA.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
sosai was a true master and as real as a fighter could be, i would have like to see him on his prime and if the ufc would have been on,

also how about ryu kyu kobudo theres something i want to learn
do you know the best site official in the net

thanks

terry

ps the rigidness iam implying is in the karateka's punch and blocking

thanks

terry

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Vin2ko,

Visit the other schools in your area. After a few visit's you should have an idea. After watching a few classes I bet you'll find an interest.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by moromoro

ps the rigidness iam implying is in the karateka's punch and blocking

thanks

terry

Again you have come across or seen some inaccurate information/demonstration of karate

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
This one : http://www.kempo.org.pl/images/film/3.mpg 248kb

Thanks.

That was caught mid-technique.
The guy in black is demonstrating at “teaching speed” part of 1 technique.

Some of the mpegs on there are done at “teaching speed” (so you can learn how to do it) and others are done at “demo speed” (so you get an idea of what it is supposed to be like). I don’t think any are done at “actual speed” ……….I’ll have to check.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Kaith if you go to this one it is a slight variation on the one you were asking about.

Go to the mpeg that says 393kb

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Kaith if you go to this one it is a slight variation on the one you were asking about.

http://www.kempo.org.pl-images-film-wasfest005.mpv

I know the post wasn't for me, but I'm courious (sp?), so I tried and it didn't work for me. I also tried and exchange the dashes with slashes, and it told me the object doesn't exsist. If I tried: http://www.kempo.org.pl/images/film it said I had no access.

By the way I liked the vidclips. Reminds me alot of the jujitsu I've done.

/Yari

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yari
I know the post wasn't for me, but I'm courious (sp?), so I tried and it didn't work for me. I also tried and exchange the dashes with slashes, and it told me the object doesn't exsist. If I tried: http://www.kempo.org.pl/images/film it said I had no access.
/Yari

Yari,

Sorry, Go to the mpeg that says 393kb.

Originally posted by Yari

By the way I liked the vidclips. Reminds me alot of the jujitsu I've done.

/Yari

Those are mostly some basic moves from Naihanchi

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.kempo.org.pl/images/film/wasfest005.mpv

Thats a bit different from the karate clips I've seen in the past. Most of those were very straight, explosive and 'hard'. This had circular movements.

I may be wrong, but it looked like he blocked the incoming punch while countering to the gut, then passed the attackers arm thru causing a throw?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yari,

Go to the mpeg that says 393kb.

Nice technique. Looks very interessting!! So do the other vidclips.

Thanks for sharing!

/Yari

OP
V

vin2k0

Originally posted by Disco
It's a shame that your current style after 9 years does not fulfill your needs. Hope this was of some assistance to you:asian:

No, it does fulfill my needs. i am just curious to what other MA's there are around that may be as good, or better, that i may be missing out on.

OP
V

vin2k0

Originally posted by Mya Ryu Jitsu
I would be curious as to what type/style/system of karate you have been studying and what rank you have attained?

What skills do you feel your lacking. What area of interest would you like training in? Grappling, ground fighting, submission holds, joint locks etc?

This might help us narrow it down as to valid suggestions for you.

:asian:

I study shukokai karate

I have attained a 2nd dan

I do not feel i lack any skills, probably because i dont know which skills i could be lacking.

I would like to train in something more applicable to the street... a man attacking with a knife wouldnt usually lunge at you as if doing a leading-hand punch, however, this is the kind of attack we defend against.

We have to go very soft when sparring against a partner or in any partner work other than on the pads... so i feel you cannot properly master blocking techniques when you aren't being attacked with full force.

I feel that, because i have never been hit full force in the dojo, if it came to this outside i wouldnt have experienced it before and wouldnt react in the same way as if i knew what to expect? Maybe i am wrong, just a few of my concerns...

OP
V

vin2k0

Not to be rude but you obviously haven’t been exposed to any good karate.

Look at the mpegs then comment.

i agree... karate is a very flowing MA, so i am unsure of which type of karate you may have studied/observed.

OP
V

vin2k0

very interesting video clips. Thanks for sharing them! and thanks for all the comments on the thread... i may visit a few different schools around and see how they compare.

OP
A

Angus

Originally posted by moromoro

as far as karate beign like bamboo i dont know about that bruce said it was more like a metal bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

terry

Bruce wasn't a karateka ;)

Tigertron

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by vin2k0
No, it does fulfill my needs. i am just curious to what other MA's there are around that may be as good, or better, that i may be missing out on.

Take up MuayThai and/or Jeet Kune Do. It will be a refreshing experience to learn techniques that are counter-intuitive to what you are familiar with. ;) Kind of opening your eyes to a new dimension. You will learn that there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

Many people tend to think that their particular art has the ultimate truth, or at least THE right answer to everything. It is beneficial to broaden your horizon to experience that there is a whole different world across the ocean, and that your particular art is nothing more than ONE of many ways.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So far the Kenpo clips you have seen were the Kenpo/Kempo with a strong Jui-Jitsu flavor.

Here are a couple of others that are more of a striking art. ENJOY!!!

Austin Kenpo Karate Commercial

or

Paul Mills' AKKI

or for the home of Ed Parker's American Kenpo, go to his association page for a video clip. If you go to the main page, they have a pretty cool flash intro.

Ed Parker's IKKA

Oss,
-Michael