Help me choose a new MA.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by vin2k0
Yep, thought so. However, don't agree with your comments on pads being useless. You may be just fine without one, but i think they help improve power, and show you how effective a technique can be if the correct factors are included.

Pads provide a target surface. Pads absorb force, and thereby present no real first hand feedback on whether the strike would have really penetrated in terms of the power transfer into the opponent's body. You can kick a guy holding a shield, and move him quite far, but that kick may still lack penetration and result in more of a pushing action against an unpadded partner.

I don't like them. Unrealistic in terms of timing and distance in developing your own techniques. But who am I to dictate to you what you prefer to use?

I have never been hit, simply because whereever possible i avoid violence. And so far have been lucky enough to calm down any situation that has arisen.

I meant why hadn't you been hit for real during training? Everyone should get tagged once in a while with a real shot, or a slightly watered down but still powerful strike, just to keep them honest about what they are doing. Without the danger of being hit and having it cause pain or damage, there is little in the way of real motivation to get out of the way. Likewise, blocks and defenses against low power attacks simply will not work against a real attack. The strength to reinforce such movements will be absent, and the distance and timing necessary to deal with such a situation will never have been addressed.

Sure, you've been lucky in real life. We should all be so lucky. But training is the environment within which we prepare for the worst. Kick it up a notch and get slugged in the dojo with a good, hard shot. See what happens when you have to defend against an attack that is going to go through you rather than stop at your chest... It's fun! :D

Hmmm... maybe so, but doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Dont think i would actually like to have a full scale fight with a mate. Although im sure the experience would do me good, i dont think anyone would honestly want to take me up on an offer of a fight...

Again, I was talking within the context of training. I wasn't suggesting that you go out, get a mate hammered, then tell him to attack you... Bad for you and your mate!

Next time you are in the training hall, in between classes or whatever, have a friend come up and blast you. See what you are capable of dealing with. Otherwise, when it happens that you are unlucky, you may be up against something that absolutely none of your MA training prepared you for...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
V

vin2k0

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
You can kick a guy holding a shield, and move him quite far, but that kick may still lack penetration and result in more of a pushing action against an unpadded partner.

This is correct but you can tell when the pad is being pushed or penetrated. Anyway, as you say, different people prefer to use different methods.

I meant why hadn't you been hit for real during training? Everyone should get tagged once in a while with a real shot, or a slightly watered down but still powerful strike, just to keep them honest about what they are doing... Kick it up a notch and get slugged in the dojo with a good, hard shot.

Ok, i will take your advice and 'kick it up a notch' in training tonight. I actually did last time i trained also and found myself to be a much better fighter. At the end of the lesson several people approached me saying how good i had been sparring.

Thanks for your comments Yiliquan1, i have found them informative and interesting. :asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I think you are confusing a training drill that develops leg strength and shoulder endurace (while also providing the mind something to distract itself from the pain in the thighs from holding a deep horse stance) with real fighting techniques.

Sure, some schools think that amounts to fighting. I doubt any real karateka would deny that that falls short of what karate really is. However, I also believe they would step up to point out the flaw of thinking that training exercise is anything more than just that.

It is similar to Taijquan players thinking push hands amounts to fighting skill, FMAists thinking that trapping amounts to fighting ability, wrestlers thinking their ability to bridge will win them every single match or a boxer thinking his ability to smack a speed bag quickly will win him a fight. There is much more that goes into fighting skills that simple, disassociated drills. It appears that your view of karate may be, in part, based on just such an assumption.

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :asian:
You misunderstood the statement.

I was talking to the guy who thought karate was not fluid, and was elaborating on the stereotype - hence the rolleyes emoticon

OP
J

J-kid

Try these i think you might find to be fun and helpful martial arts.
Judo
Brazilin Jujutsu aka BJJ
Freestyle wrestling/Any style of wrestling
Mauy Thai kickboxing
American Kickboxing
Western Boxing
Submission Wrestling
Olympic Pankration
Vale Tudo
Shooto
Sambo
Escrima
Krav Maga
Burmese Boxing
kyuikashinko karate
Wing Tsun
Combative TKD, God but that is impossible to find.
Hnmm hapkido(another last resort)
Maybe Jeet Kune Do(shrug)
Kendo
Fencing (it would be a good skill to have I guess)

I would look at yellowpages.com use distance search look for somthing i listed above then talk to the instructer.

See if he seems quilified then watch his class
ask questions like
are there any contracts (if so leave)
What kind of prices and what are the hours ( anything over a 100 a month is to much)
Also see if they do sparring, ask what they think about cross training.
make sure you get along with the instructer i cant say its that importen but its nice.

Just make sure it is a good school that teachs you useful skills.

Best of luck to you.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
FMArtist dont do trapping your mistaking us for JKD practitioners...............

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH........

So all that time I spent working on trapping drills while studying Modern Arnis, I was actually learning JKD? :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that JKD got trapping from FMA... :shrug:

And next time you feel a need to reply to me, opt not to "raise your voice" by typing in all caps... Sometimes it is you that needs to get your facts straight (like checking to see if the person has any experience in the subject - like my having done Arnis and Pekiti-Tirsia before...).

Enjoy.

Gambarimasu.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JKD trapping is from WingChun, Bruce Lee's original MA training.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
And next time you feel a need to reply to me, opt not to "raise your voice" by typing in all caps... Sometimes it is you that needs to get your facts straight (like checking to see if the person has any experience in the subject - like my having done Arnis and Pekiti-Tirsia before...).

AND WHAT LEVEL DID YOU ACHIEVE IN THOSE ARTS??????????

in traditional eskrima there is no such thing as trapping........................

go to any club in the Philippines and ask to be taught TRAPPING they will have no idea of what you are talking about......

GET YOUR FACTS STRIAIGHT BEFORE REPYING AND IF YOU KNOW NOTTHING SAY NOTTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Moromoro -

What level did I reach in those arts" In PT, none at all. In Modern Arnis, none at all, because I wasn't interested in testing. However, my instructor wanted to promote me to 3rd brown. He is 2nd black in Modern Arnis and was granted instructorship by GM Presas himself. Most of what we worked on was trapping and stick drills. So I suppose you are saying, then, that GM Presas wasn't really doing FMA at all...? Please clarify what you meant to say.

As for your demonstrated maturity level by consistently typing in all caps just to make a vain attempt to "flex," well, I'm through with you. I can see attempting to discuss this is a waste of time. So I guess you can go ahead and ignore my request above for further clarification of your argument.

Go type strongly at someone else if you are intellectually incapable of presenting your argument in a more effective manner. :shrug:

Gambarimasu.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
AND WHAT LEVEL DID YOU ACHIEVE IN THOSE ARTS??????????

in traditional eskrima there is no such thing as trapping........................

go to any club in the Philippines and ask to be taught TRAPPING they will have no idea of what you are talking about......

GET YOUR FACTS STRIAIGHT BEFORE REPYING AND IF YOU KNOW NOTTHING SAY NOTTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They may not call it "trapping" ... but that doesn't mean they don't do it. Every FMA system I've been exposed to makes pretty heavy use of trapping. They may call it "checking" or "lifting and clearing" or any number of other terms. But it's still the same concept as trapping.

Mike