Hello from a german in Cebu-City

PhilExpat

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im the new one here now hehehe and let me short introduce me.

Im a german and Im now 52 years - I moved to the philippines about 3 years ago and I now live in Cebu-City.
I did some 3 years of Shotokan way back in germany when I was at university - but thats nearly 30 years ago now.
Due to my career and lazyness (hehehe) after that I didnt do much sports at all - so for about 25 years I did no karate at all.

Last year I then decided I try anew as I still like the movments and gymnastics it gives -plus the selfdefense wich is a point here in the philippines too.

So I joined the hm public training here in Cebu that is done by sensai de la Rosa. I learned Shotokan but he teaches shorin-ryu - but after 25 years theres not much difference to notice for me.
In germany I really learned the basics and I was happy that even after 25 years without doing anything my punches and kicks still work perfect - its still programmed in my brains and not lost.

Ofcourse its now a bit more difficult - Im 52 now and not much trained - even after 1 year (2 times a week training) my progress is not very much - Im happy that I now memorise the katas needed for 7. kyu.
Then its always around 30 degrees when training without fans or aircons - but what doesn't kill me hahaha

I joined here now to exchange information - as training here isnt much organised. The moves are trained but not really explained how they are done and why. So I still benefit from my shotokan training.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Phil. I am up North from you above Leyte. 52 is still young.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im a german and Im now 52 years - I moved to the philippines about 3 years ago and I now live in Cebu-City.
I did some 3 years of Shotokan way back in germany when I was at university - but thats nearly 30 years ago now.
Due to my career and lazyness (hehehe) after that I didnt do much sports at all - so for about 25 years I did no karate at all.

Last year I then decided I try anew as I still like the movments and gymnastics it gives -plus the selfdefense wich is a point here in the philippines too.

So I joined the hm public training here in Cebu that is done by sensai de la Rosa. I learned Shotokan but he teaches shorin-ryu - but after 25 years theres not much difference to notice for me.
In germany I really learned the basics and I was happy that even after 25 years without doing anything my punches and kicks still work perfect - its still programmed in my brains and not lost.

Ofcourse its now a bit more difficult - Im 52 now and not much trained - even after 1 year (2 times a week training) my progress is not very much - Im happy that I now memorise the katas needed for 7. kyu.
Then its always around 30 degrees when training without fans or aircons - but what doesn't kill me hahaha

I joined here now to exchange information - as training here isnt much organised. The moves are trained but not really explained how they are done and why. So I still benefit from my shotokan training.

Welcome to MT!

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Welcome.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, bro. :)

OP
P

PhilExpat

White Belt
Reaction score
Nice to hear from you Phil. I am up North from you above Leyte.
Greetings to Leyte.

52 is still young.
Please tell it to my body as he doesnt listen to me when I tell him ... hahaha

Unfortunately I was a bit too lazy the last 25 years - and my spine already is a bit degenerated.
So actually Karate/Arnis for me first is gymnastics to get fitter and get back flexibility - with additional selfdefense.

Latest Discussions