Heavy Bag Work with a Stick!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I was really working the heavy bag with a stick and asp the other day. I enjoy this type of training immensely. Whether it is a heavy bag or old tires, etc. Having something to hit and having that rebounding factor is very important in how I teach IRT. So what are your experiences with hitting bags, tires, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good post Brian..I myself use a heavy bag whenever possible for keeping my PR-24 and expandable baton skills sharp..

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good post Brian..I myself use a heavy bag whenever possible for keeping my PR-24 and expandable baton skills sharp..

Hey Drac it really helps I think to have something to strike and have that recoil (rebound) to deal with. I particularly like using the ASP on a heavy bag as it is a lot of fun to work with.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was really working the heavy bag with a stick and asp the other day. I enjoy this type of training immensely. Whether it is a heavy bag or old tires, etc. Having something to hit and having that rebounding factor is very important in how I teach IRT. So what are your experiences with hitting bags, tires, etc.

We have tires at my school, and I'll say its a hell of a workout!! I remember my first Tuhon Leo Gaje seminar. He had everyone do some rounds on the tires. I don't think there was anyone that wasn't exhausted and soaked with sweat by the time we were done. :ultracool

Mike

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have tires at my school, and I'll say its a hell of a workout!! I remember my first Tuhon Leo Gaje seminar. He had everyone do some rounds on the tires. I don't think there was anyone that wasn't exhausted and soaked with sweat by the time we were done. :ultracool

Mike

Tires, heavy bag work will really get the sweat flowing. That is particularly one of the reason's I enjoy hitting the bag so much is that I can get in a very, very good cardio workout in pretty efficient amount of time.
icon14.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires, heavy bag work will really get the sweat flowing. That is particularly one of the reason's I enjoy hitting the bag so much is that I can get in a very, very good cardio workout in pretty efficient amount of time.
icon14.gif

The forearms are burning pretty good too! :ultracool

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heavy bag GOOD..Tires even BETTER and cheaper to replace..LOL

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love hitting tires with the sticks. I started doing that back in my SCA days with the 3-4 pound rattan sticks. Love using them for kicking drills as well. Especially the Muay Thai style roundhouses.

Jeff

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The sticks don't damage the heavy bags?

This is a subject that came up recently in my household actually! My husband and I are getting a heavy bag soon. I thought maybe we could use it also to practice our striking drills with sticks. He said sticks would ruin the bags.

So are using sticks okay on the bags? :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sticks don't damage the heavy bags? :D

Maybe..That's why you see "duct" tape wrapped around heavy bags in the older dojo/gyms...One MA I knew wrapped his bag with "duct " tape BEFORE putting it up thereby saving the bag surface..

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife and I actually tape carpet to ours to protect it from the sticks. When punching it, you definitely want to wear bag gloves.

Jeff

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Jeff carpet is a great idea. We could probably rig up something where we can take the carpet on and off. That way we can have it on for sticks and off for when we are doing regular bag work.

Thanks. :D

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sticks do certainly tend to wear on a heavy bag and an ASP is even worse. I have in the past used leather sleeves that were made to fit over the bag. That worked great. Duct Tape, carpet, etc. all are viable options. However even a regular bag will last awhile with sticks or an ASP!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Find acouple acres of brush, preferably Scotch broom, blackberry bushes and saplings. Clear with a machete.

I'm serious. It will do your eskrima more good than any amount of bag work or the highest priced seminar.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, if only I'd trained in Escrima back as a kid, that scotch broom wouldn't have seemed like such a chore.

I do my stickwork on my heavy bag as well, just don't do the thrusts into it. But, the carpet trick sounds good. punch some holes down the carpet edges for laces, make a lace-on sleeve. Beat the livin' tar out of it... Or leather. Paint/sew on target points... I like.

I wonder if Bob bags would like a leather vest heh.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Find acouple acres of brush, preferably Scotch broom, blackberry bushes and saplings. Clear with a machete.

I'm serious. It will do your eskrima more good than any amount of bag work or the highest priced seminar.

Nothing wrong with clearing brush with a machete. Basically the same idea just a different environment!
icon14.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian, sorta the other way around.

"Hey, boy! When you've finished cutting the cane and rice come over here. I'm gonna teach you how to fight."

"Okay. Pick up that big knife. Now what you do to the cane and rice every day you do to the other guy. Got it? OK, now here's what you do when he try do all same to you"

:wink2:

There is a real difference between stick and blade work. The people who've actually cut lots of stuff with a big knife or sword really cut with it rather than thumping. People who have just used blunt sticks, well, there's a different quality that's obvious when you see it. For one thing cutting makes you keep good alignment and focus. And if you're doing it for a few hours you learn to relax except those few tenths of a second when the blade is actually in contact with something. It helps with targetting and ensures that you hit exactly what you mean to hit. Otherwise you'll be working alone the second or third time your machete becomes an unguided missle.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian, sorta the other way around.

"Hey, boy! When you've finished cutting the cane and rice come over here. I'm gonna teach you how to fight."

"Okay. Pick up that big knife. Now what you do to the cane and rice every day you do to the other guy. Got it? OK, now here's what you do when he try do all same to you"

:wink2:

There is a real difference between stick and blade work. The people who've actually cut lots of stuff with a big knife or sword really cut with it rather than thumping. People who have just used blunt sticks, well, there's a different quality that's obvious when you see it. For one thing cutting makes you keep good alignment and focus. And if you're doing it for a few hours you learn to relax except those few tenths of a second when the blade is actually in contact with something. It helps with targetting and ensures that you hit exactly what you mean to hit. Otherwise you'll be working alone the second or third time your machete becomes an unguided missle.

Yep there are some differances and yet similarities as well. I am heavy blade oriented and always have been so the transition to the stick is easy for me.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions