havs taiji's step skills lost?

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
recently, talking with many taiji pracititoners under different sifu, about taiji's step skills, we all have the same opinion: taiji's step skills may lost.that's one of reasons why taiji can not free fight with others.
for example, my teacher who has practiced taiji for over 30 years, in his early age, had many chance of sparring with others, some were champions in san da. he admitted that he used bagua steps.
what's your opinion?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not just the footwork, but any concept of martial application is often missing. That's the state of the art in many places in the USA. Many people are just in it for health and destressing - and that's fine if that's all teacher and student want.

However, don't think that there are not quality teachers of fighting techniques available in many regions. You just have to know where to look, and be patient. In my experience they will have to work with you for some time before starting to teach you these.

My first sifu borrowed from bagua - and other arts - in the methods he taught.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Footwork of course is important but Taijiquan in particular is a very subtle art which does not need 'amazing footwork'.
From my experience movement is mostly contributed by the hips and waist.

Anyone agree?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
recently, talking with many taiji pracititoners under different sifu, about taiji's step skills, we all have the same opinion: taiji's step skills may lost.that's one of reasons why taiji can not free fight with others.
for example, my teacher who has practiced taiji for over 30 years, in his early age, had many chance of sparring with others, some were champions in san da. he admitted that he used bagua steps.
what's your opinion?

Question, did the Taiji sifu have to fight using Sanda rules?

Also please define what you mean by foot work.

Not just the footwork, but any concept of martial application is often missing. That's the state of the art in many places in the USA. Many people are just in it for health and destressing - and that's fine if that's all teacher and student want.

However, don't think that there are not quality teachers of fighting techniques available in many regions. You just have to know where to look, and be patient. In my experience they will have to work with you for some time before starting to teach you these.

My first sifu borrowed from bagua - and other arts - in the methods he taught.

Actually I know of a rather well respected Yang Taiji sifu that from what I see him do he too has borrowed from Bagua and Xingyi. And I agree with you many today do not train it for MA and many people teaching it today do not truly understand the MA of it so how can anyone learn it.

My Yang sifu as I have said Ad nauseam was a student of Tung Ying Chieh and my sifu has been at taiji for over 50 years. And he teaches push hands, four corner push hands, 3 step push hands, something he calls 1 step and free style. Also he teaches 2 fast sets as well all from his sifu so I do believe he is covering foot work (and taiji like MOST cma styles does not hop like western boxing). But I will say this teaching any sort of stepping in connection with tuishou is rare today in taiji, especially in the Yang style world. Also I have seen the Chen family teach a rather fast moving push hands set. And to be honest it is rare in just about every taiji today.

Footwork of course is important but Taijiquan in particular is a very subtle art which does not need 'amazing footwork'.
From my experience movement is mostly contributed by the hips and waist.

Anyone agree?

I agree it can be subtle but my experience says taiji has foot work, unless I do not understand the definition.

I think the problem comes in when you train something like taiji for many years and then step into another style that dictates how you can fight and tells you what you can and cannot do. I once was invited to a TKD school to spar (actually my first Sifu’s class was invited) when I got there I was told I could only hit certain areas I could not hold I could not use joint locks I could not use takedowns so I bowed out and later told them you asked me to fight like I train “sport tkd” and I do not. Pretty much all the rules told me I could not use anything I trained.

However with that said, sadly, IMO, 90% or more of all of the people out there doing taiji today if told go in the ring and do whatever you want…would still loose, they do not train for fighting anymore. And many fool themselves with this “Taiji is a superior MA” stuff or “Taiji is Graduate school of CMA” and never ever even do tuishou so how can they fight.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree it can be subtle but my experience says taiji has foot work, unless I do not understand the definition.

Of course Taijiquan has footwork that is obvious, I was merely suggesting that through shifting weight through the hips one can react quicker than stepping.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely... the power comes from the feet but is directed by the waist. that goes for stepping too. generate power up from the ground, and direct it back down to make the step.

we do a 'walking tai chi' after the tai chi form is learned well, which includes 'bagua-style' continous walking. the difference between walking tai chi and classical bagua, is that while the stepping appears to be the same, walking tai chi is still being directed by the waist. classical bagua, at least cheng-style, is led straight up from the feet.

walking tai chi, when used in push hands, self-defense applications, and sparring makes everything come alive!

pete

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also he teaches 2 fast sets as well all from his sifu so I do believe he is covering foot work (and taiji like MOST cma styles does not hop like western boxing). But I will say this teaching any sort of stepping in connection with tuishou is rare today in taiji, especially in the Yang style world.

Would it be fair to say, though, that Xingyi and Bagua has a much more developed/extensive way of training footwork? Would it also be fair to say that Taiji from any family has almost no concept of floating root (maybe except Sun family)?

(I think there's an implicit understanding emerging now that we are defining "footwork" to mean "moving around")

My own experience in Taiji so far is Yang long form and small sansou and, even for a beginner like me, the level of footwork required in those forms is below that of a beginner in LHBF. And personally, I still think it makes more sense to turn on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.

I think the problem comes in when you train something like taiji for many years and then step into another style that dictates how you can fight and tells you what you can and cannot do. I once was invited to a TKD school to spar (actually my first Sifu’s class was invited) when I got there I was told I could only hit certain areas I could not hold I could not use joint locks I could not use takedowns so I bowed out and later told them you asked me to fight like I train “sport tkd” and I do not. Pretty much all the rules told me I could not use anything I trained.

I used to think it is kind of unfair for people to impose rules in cross style sparring that benefits one style only, but I have to say, in my limited experience in sparring (I think I started about July this year and have only been able to spar 5 times), having to think of a way to not be limited by the rules is a very interesting and very good training exercise.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Would it be fair to say, though, that Xingyi and Bagua has a much more developed/extensive way of training footwork? Would it also be fair to say that Taiji from any family has almost no concept of floating root (maybe except Sun family)?

(I think there's an implicit understanding emerging now that we are defining "footwork" to mean "moving around")

My own experience in Taiji so far is Yang long form and small sansou and, even for a beginner like me, the level of footwork required in those forms is below that of a beginner in LHBF. And personally, I still think it makes more sense to turn on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.

If foot work means to move around then no. Taiji moves and it moves rather well. I think the problem comes in taiji when people are double weighted and totally miss understanding what is meant by root in taiji. And it also appears when someone is forced to take the slow movements and transfer those to fast movements. And also take into account Taiji is much more geared towards fighting close. Having no experience at all with LHBF I cannot make the comparison there.

As to Xingyi as compared to taiji it move quite different as to Bagua as compared to Xingyi and taiji it too move very different IMO but I have much less experience in Bagua. All I can say as I have not come across any Bagua mud walking or circle walking in the Taiji I train.

But I’m still not 100% sure that ggg214 is defining foot work as simply moving around.

And Taiji, at least Yang and Chen, turn on more than just the heel :) just wait you will see.

I used to think it is kind of unfair for people to impose rules in cross style sparring that benefits one style only, but I have to say, in my limited experience in sparring (I think I started about July this year and have only been able to spar 5 times), having to think of a way to not be limited by the rules is a very interesting and very good training exercise.

Yes I do believe it would be

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Question, did the Taiji sifu have to fight using Sanda rules?

Also please define what you mean by foot work.

i think there is no settled rules in tradditional CMA's free application, especially for different styles, as taiji vs xingyi, or taiji vs shaolin. before they applicate, they just simply agree that there are some dangerous places which is not allowed to hit, as eyes etc. so the word fight or application in my post may also be recognised as street fight, or some things that is not governed by clear rules and aimed to K.O.

foot work in my question is which can be directly used in fight!

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
here i want to explain why i have made the above question.
the most popular way of push hands is just standing there and push. if one is moved no matter forward or backward, by other one's push or pull, one loses. practitioners spend years on this training, and believe that it's kind of application.
anyone who have seen or had a chance in a fight knows that it couldn't be happened that two persons is standing there and sparring, they are moving. so the push hand is far from real fight.
i just want to find out some evidence to prove that taiji can be used in real fight!

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
push hands is not supposed to represent a fight. it is a training tool that develops sensitivity and will test your ability to maintain and self-correct your own posture, movement, and balance.

going from stationary push hands to moving to walking should not take years, or even months but that really depends on the student and their consistency in practice. but its not a linear sequence... going from stationary to moving then to walking does not mean you abandon stationary! All 3 are continued to be practiced for different reasons and to develop skill.

pete

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
stationary push hands is only one type of push hands drill. In my taiji class, we practiced moving, free form push hands most of the time (after the basic form was learned). Of course taijiquan has footwork, you practice it every time you step through any form, long or short.

The push hands competitions that you might see, I think, are not good representations of what taijiquan is about. This is where they have to stay stationary, or keep one foot planted in place at all times, and try to push the other person out of a ring. It ends up looking like sumo, because people are competitive, and taiji training goes out the window many times. Competitiveness is contrary to the basic philosophy of taijiquan, so how could a sporting venu with such rules be an appropriate place to display taiji skills?

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As to Xingyi as compared to taiji it move quite different as to Bagua as compared to Xingyi and taiji it too move very different IMO but I have much less experience in Bagua. All I can say as I have not come across any Bagua mud walking or circle walking in the Taiji I train.

It's just that I get the impression, when watching footage of Bagua and Taiji, that Bagua people move more flowingly, for example. And in Xingyi, the attacks are timed with the steps. I don't see any of that in any of the applications of Taiji (and I'm talking about even those from the Chen family).

But like I said, it's just an impression that I get. I think it may have something to do with the fact that Bagua and Xingyi uses a lot of up and down movements (while maintaining root), which in discussions with certain Taiji people, seemed to be a completely foreign idea to them.

And Taiji, at least Yang and Chen, turn on more than just the heel :) just wait you will see.

Actually, what gets me more is that there's no foot turning at all during the fa jing. :)

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Of course Taijiquan has footwork that is obvious, I was merely suggesting that through shifting weight through the hips one can react quicker than stepping.

It depends on the training for the stepping.

A lot of people, when they do stepping, reach out with their foot first, plant it, and then shift the weight. In that case it is slow and incidentally seems to be the predominant way of stepping in the Taiji I have seen.

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It depends on the training for the stepping.

A lot of people, when they do stepping, reach out with their foot first, plant it, and then shift the weight. In that case it is slow and incidentally seems to be the predominant way of stepping in the Taiji I have seen.

Of course this way of learning is to create 'muscle memory' so that ultimately ones reactions will be instantaneous. Practising the form slowly actually increases reaction speeds if and when the body needs to react in that fashion.

This is why I mentioned the shifting of weight in the hips as this can often be quicker than any step and on many occasions the simplest move is often the most effective!

OP
ggg214

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the shifting of weight in hip or waist?

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just like kung fu, the true foot movement has been almost lost. In studying Yang tai chi, along with many years in kung fu, I respectfully attest that tai ji does have proper footwork if taught. However, the up and down movements described, unless I misinterpret the comments, are contrary to rooting, expressing chi, and using fa jing with silk reeling to express out through the hands. What seems to be missing in this conversation, from my perspective, is the connectivity from feet to waist to shoulder, expressed through the sunken elbows through the hands in a whipping, penetrating, and/or soft to hard notion (steel wrapped in cotton concept). While ba gua has obviously great circular and 8 step movements and hsing-i is very expressive in its stepping and hand jing, other than chen is more subtle but just as effective. I personally consider Chen style the bridge historically between external kung fu and the taiji expression (this is my concept only!). The Yang style has, at first, what appears to be very stagnant footwork and little expressed jing. However, and maybe my tai chi sifu, Jeff Bolt, and his teacher, Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, taught us differently, but we were always shown tai ji chin na and moving applications through the use of movement and proper footwork. The standing push hands were a beginner's trip until sufficient enough in relaxing, bridging, and sticking, to begin moving. We had many drills for moving push hands, and sitting in our root for that instant, and jinging to our opponent through our push hands sensitivity. It also helped me that I also had my kung fu to understand foot movement and application as well. In fact, without foot movement, all Chinese martial arts is stagnant and ineffective. A gross example: look at traditional wing chun versus modified and how different that is in relation to footwork. Of course, in a real fight, everything evolves and changes, so to not practice footwork is inpractical. If you can find the book, Yang Tai chi Transmissions, by Yang Chen Fu, he describes the footwork well in poetry form! And, he was a very large 300 pound man who could root and glide easily.

A last point: like the external, tai ji could not have lasted this long and be called "grand ultimate boxing" if it was grossly ineffective in fighting. Like everything in nature, only the strongest fighting methodologies and species survive. This was used in warfare alongside the external arts and, in fact, I know few legit kung fu masters who also do not incorporate the footwork and connectivity of tai ji.

Just my humble observations and personal experience on tai ji footwork.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I personally consider Chen style the bridge historically between external kung fu and the taiji expression (this is my concept only!).

Actually no its not, my sifu who was a student of Tung Ying Chieh and been at taiji for over 50 years has said the pretty much same thing.

Also Yang as it comes from Tung Ying Chieh teaches foot work in both form (slow and fast) and various types of push hands training.

Latest Discussions