Have you ever tried Shaolin bone conditioning?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screw that I want to actually be able to use my limbs when I'm in my 80s

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This video explains how it can happen. Watch 3.18-3.55 part...

Brainlessly punching a hard surface is stupid indeed. But there is a method to utilize a tree for hand conditioning. This video explains it...

[/QUisn't

time

brainlessly punching trees is stupid, but brainlessly allowing somonee to kick you in the nuts isn't ?

breaking bones constantly will cause excessive calcium build up, and that adnormality is what sane people will try and avoid by not breaking bones constantly

, as for the tree scrapping and slapping, yea go on if you fancy it, wing chuner people are big on hitting pieces of wood, the rest of the ma world gets by with out it,

though you could get much the same effect by getting a spade and digging someone's garden over and get 10$ for your time
.all through the tree hugger vid, I kept thinking, he would be much better of conditioning his abs

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1. Brainlessly punching trees is stupid, but brainlessly allowing somone to kick you in the nuts isn't ?

2. Breaking bones constantly will cause excessive calcium build up, and that adnormality is what sane people will try and avoid by not breaking bones constantly

3. Though you could get much the same effect by getting a spade and digging someone's garden over and get 10$ for your time.

1. Light punches for starters and, if this video is right, there will come a day I'll be able to allow someone to kick me full force in the nuts. I'm aware of the risks regarding my reproductive functions, which is why I'm not sure yet whether I'll continue to do this exercise. I guess, in the end, it depends on whether I value my desire to become more powerful over my sexual desires. But maybe I do really!

2. Did I say anything about breaking?

3. Interesting. I'll see if I have a chance to do it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. Light punches for starters and, if this video is right, there will come a day I'll be able to allow someone to kick me full force in the nuts. I'm aware of the risks regarding my reproductive functions, which is why I'm not sure yet whether I'll continue to do this exercise. I guess, in the end, it depends on whether I value my desire to become more powerful over my sexual desires. But maybe I do really!

no,but I that vid you quoted did , clearly you either didn't listen or under stand

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
no,but I that vid you quoted did , clearly you either didn't listen or under stand

Oh, you're talking about microfractures. I thought that, by breaking, you meant something more serious.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your either a wind up or completely off your rocker, let me know if you want someone to kick you in the nuts

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also, quit hitting yourself in the balls..

I'm going to have to go the other way on this. I think he should hit himself in the balls one thousand times for each of us.

D

Deleted member 39746

Honestly i have no idea as i don't think there has been a medical study done of this, but a GP hinted at bone conditioning for persons with weak bones when i asked about it.

Also just remove your testicles, cant get hit in them if you dont have them. *taps head*

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly i have no idea as i don't think there has been a medical study done of this, but a GP hinted at bone conditioning for persons with weak bones when i asked about it.

Also just remove your testicles, cant get hit in them if you dont have them. *taps head*
there's been tons of medical studies done on it, and any percusive exercise , even walking strengths the bon e, from the inside or more exactly a lack of exercise weakens them, that's different from breaking the bone with micro fractures , which causes calcium build up on the outside of the bone, is it stronger, maybe, but it's deformed and knarley and if it happens to be your knuggles, they won't work any more its conning very close to the definition of self harm

Last edited:

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Actually, some folks practice specific ChiKung to lift the testicles, into the hip cavity. From what I understand there are 36 postures and it takes 8-10 years.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

#2: Micro-fractures (and the process of healing them) is what bone conditioning is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's been tons of medical studies done on it, and any percusive exercise , even walking strengths the bon e, from the inside or more exactly a lack of exercise weakens them, that's different from breaking the bone with micro fractures , which causes calcium build up on the outside of the bone, is it stronger, maybe, but it's deformed and knarley and if it happens to be your knuggles, they won't work any more its conning very close to the definition of self harm
I think I recall reading that weight-bearing has some effect on bone density, too, to a lesser degree.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score

That would be the easy way. It wouldn't fulfill me anywhere near as much as the knowledge that I have turned every part of my body into a fortress.

OP
A

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Yeah, I've seen the knuckles of old masters who have been conditioning them for years. They're definitely malformed. Not so pleasant to the eye but still functional.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen the knuckles of old masters who have been conditioning them for years. They're definitely malformed. Not so pleasant to the eye but still functional.

That depends on your definition of 'functional' and also what degree of functionality you deem acceptable.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Western martial arts do not seem to care at all about strengthening a warrior's defenses in any
way other than just teaching them how to avoid being hit; no exercises that increase your durability
in case you do get hit (and, let's face it, if you get into a fight, you will get hit eventually, no matter
how skillfully you dodge or parry).
Not even close to being true.
http://cbd.atspace.com/articles/breakyourhand/breakyourhand.html

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not try to condition bone, but that's a personal choice. I've seen what people who've done shin conditioning can do, but I'm just not interested myself. I would suggest getting competent instruction if you're going to do it. It can be dangerous.
NASA put a crap-ton of research into this. They found some very interesting stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think I recall reading that weight-bearing has some effect on bone density, too, to a lesser degree.
It's all about managed stressors to the physique. This includes not just the bone but also connective tissue. As I mentioned, NASA has done a lot of research on this, all of it freely available. There's also been a lot of research on the subject due to geriatric medicine. In both cases the point has been how to mitigate bone density loss, mitigate connective tissue weakening, how to increase bone density, how to increase connective tissue strength, and related issues.

The research is more or less freely available and there are a number of not-so-startling conclusions as well as some interesting mitigation and promotion strategies. The easiest ones are simple. Just excercise reasonably. The muscle contractions, minor "impacts" (such as stepping during "power walking"), and related stressors signal the body to increase bone density. There's a lot more to it, including having usable calcium to put into the bones, diet, and even vitamins and drugs. But we don't have to rely on guesswork or 1,000 year old misunderstandings of human bio-mechanical systems. Modern research has given us a much better understanding. Now we understand why some things our ancestors didn't work, what they did that worked, and often how to make them work "better." And our understanding is constantly improving.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk