Have you been knocked out.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been hit in the head a lot over the years, but have been knocked out only once.
I stupidly got in the ring with an all Navy Boxer.
In the last seconds of the first round he came in with a flurry of punches.
I did not see the punch that knocked me out.
Every thing went black, I could not move, I could feel myself falling. I don't remember the punch hurting much.
I could feel someone catching me. The boxer caught me, He later said I was falling like a redwood (tree).
I remember being on the ground everything still dark, but I could hear the boxer asking if I was alright.
I was out probably less than a minute, but it was long enough for the boxer to become afraid that he had hurt me seriously. I think he was pretty happy when I open my eyes.
What has been your experience when you were knocked out?
Were you completely out or could you feel and hear things?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I grayed out from while someone demonstrated a nerve strike on me
And decently dazed with a strike to the head (while wearing a kudo helmet) and once when being thrown
Choked tot he point of seeing stars a few times while grappling (but got out)
but never knocked out

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lost consciousness when being choked in military police school in the Marines. We were practicing blood chokes on one another.

I've never been knocked out with a punch, but I've had a tooth knocked out. A molar. Still a hole where that used to be.

I've knocked a couple guys out with punches to the jaw.

I'm not that fast or that good. I was blessed with an iron jaw.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
High school wrestling tournament. First match of the day, I threw a guy with an arm spin throw. He wasn’t very experienced and got scared. He grabbed my head as tightly as he could, and both of our weight went down straight on the top of my head into the mat. I remember hitting the mat and seeing starts. That’s all I remember. Next thing I remember is waking up in my bed the next morning wondering what happened in between.

I pinned him during the next period. I wrestled a bunch of matches that day and placed 3rd. Watching video of my matches that day, it was one of my best days of my career :)

For the next few days, my head was pounding, my ears were ringing, light and noise bothered me, I was sick to my stomach, and I was tired. It felt like the worst hangover I’ve ever had and it dragged on for days. The concussion was on a Saturday. We had Sunday off, and I was back on the mat on Monday. I told my coach how I was feeling (didn’t mention the amnesia), and he said “you probably had a concussion. Get back on the mat.” So I did.

In all fairness to him, this was the early 90s and no one really knew about concussion stuff like we do today. I met up with him a few years ago and laughed about it. He wasn’t laughing. He was very apologetic and said if he knew what we know now, he’d have never let me back on the mat.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never in a fight.

Once in Spring Football practice....we wasn't wear pads or helmets and I slipped down during coverage and the receiver tried to hurtle me....his knee caught me right in the temple....lights out. Pretty nasty concussion

Once in highschool baseball game, me and the right fielder collided head to head at full sprint going for a fly ball.....wasn't as bad as the football KO but still dropped me and swelled my eye shut.

Both times I remembered what happened right before impact then........come to looking up at the sky confused with blurred vision. The football one made me nauseated and headaches afterwards as well.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never been knocked out, I have passed out doing stupid kid games but never KO from a punch or hit to the head. Passing out is like going to sleep. You just drift and then I woke up with a headache.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite stories about my son:

He was 8 years old and at a tournament...he threw a head kick and his opponent blocked it and in the process pushed his foot up causing his plant leg to slip out from under him. When he fell the back of his head hit the floor pretty hard. The Tournament Doctor disqualified him for the rest of the day cause he thought he might of had a mild concussion.

A little while later someone asked him why he wasn't competing and he replied,"Because I got a Conclusion." :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had at least five concussions for certain.
1.) I ran Enduro races in my teens. During a race, there was a revene section that came out into a three section jump. Two sections were flagged off and riders were not supposed to be on those sections. I came out of the ravene, hit the jump and a non-race rider came from one of the other jumps and teed in the side of my helmet with his front tire. I blacked out from the impact because I do not remember hitting the ground. I remember most everything else pretty well. The force rolled me and my bike while in the air and I hit the ground on my right side, bike on top of me. I had full race gear on but it still chewed me up pretty bad. My neck was strained really bad and cracked 1 vertebrae. Non-displaced so no surgery but wore a neck brace and hurt for months. I cannot say if the headaches were from the concussion or neck injury but I for sure had cognitive issues for a while after.
2.) Football. We were in a Cover 1 run blocking scheme. I met a fullback at the 3 hole and we collided so hard it cracked my helmet. Out cold. I don't remember how long I was out and woke up while two guys were helping me "walk" off the field. I stayed on the sideline for about an hour dazed. I remember getting sick at the end of practice during runs and having headaches for a few days. I was kept out of contact drills the rest of the week and didn't return kicks the next game. That really pissed me off and probably motivated me to hide symptoms, or better yet not even recognize them.
3 & 4.) Knocked out by kicks in sparring competitions. One was a standing knockout. I was totally loopy and only remember the day of the match and a few days after in a dreamy way. The next year I was knocked out cold. Was told I was completely out for about 20 seconds. I have zero memory of the match but do remember the day. No sickness or headaches that I remember.
5.) Was hit head-on by a dump truck. That is about all I can tell you. It happened in 2001 and I still have memory problems. Lots of injury; coma for about 3 weeks, 12 plates, 5 on my noggin so yea, I have all the symptoms. All it good though. I work every day and do pretty much everything I want to, albeit a lot of it differently from before the accident.
I think there were a couple more in the past somewhere but not certain. The dreamy, "am I asleep or not" feeling is much worse than the headaches to me because the affect my work more. Hard to write code sometimes. I am told the chronic headaches are from the plates.
I would definitely say do not take them lightly, but still let the kids play. IMHO

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty much ko ed in a MMA fight. I was kind of conscious but the ref called it.

Choked out a few times in training.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been choked out in class but feel that is being passed out, not knocked out. When being choked out, once I got my faculties back I felt fine. To me once the blood flow is back everything is working as it should. Not the same as when the brain get sloshed into the skull. Very difference experiences for me.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was a toddler, I was a climber. At age four, I was climbing the neighbor’s tree. The branch I was holding broke and I fell. I do not remember hitting the ground and I woke up in the hospital. My brother (age five) thought I died, so that was pretty traumatic for him.

So yeah, at age four I fell out of a tree and hit my head hard enough to spend a night in the hospital. I’m guessing that might explain a few things. I sometimes wonder if I would have been a significantly different person if that had not happened at that young age.

I’ve had a couple other falls in my youth that rang my bell, probably mild concussion, but did not see a doctor. One was another tree incident (I’m a slow learner), and a couple bicycle incidents.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, possibly a couple times, but the one that sticks out is in training when I was around 15. It sticks out because I still don't know what knocked me out. It was a combo that involved a roundhouse head-kick or faint, followed by an uppercut or lapel grab followed by a throw if the grab was done we learned a few weeks before, that every time we tried it got countered (I think it was more to practice the skills from weird positions than actually use it). A dude I trained with started the combo on me, I didn't respond, and got up from the floor. I had no idea if I got knocked out by a kick, an uppercut, or a throw, and to this day I still don't know.

The most recent time I got knocked out was when my friend and I were drunk jumping over the net at a tennis court. My foot clipped the top, I flipped and landed on my head. That happened 3-4 years ago, and since then I've been a lot more careful.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got “knocked out” in an olympic Taekwondo match. I remember moving out from a clinch, and the next thing I remember is the referee counting “3,4,5...” I put my hands up to signal I was ready and said, “I’m ok,” but the match was stopped. I was annoyed at first. I asked my coach why they stopped the fight and he told me I looked pretty groggy when I got back up from the spin hook kick to my head. I thought he was breaking my balls because I had no memory of falling down or getting up. That kick was the only thing the guy hit me with that didn’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In soccer once (someone power-kicked a ball and the side of my head got in the way). Twice after giving blood (I start out with pretty low blood pressure). Never been fully knocked out in MA, though I've been dazed.

D

Deleted member 39746

i have had a concussion, at least im pretty sure it was one, i took a head impact then went semi dizzy for a while afterwards which sounds like a concussion to me. (a mild one yes, but still one)

Not that nice.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my first kickboxing match I came out of a sort of dream state to realize I was standing in a ring facing an opponent surrounded by shouting spectators. It took another moment to realize I must have been hit hard enough to lose several seconds of memory. I didn't go down, but later in the round I took more shots that sent me stumbling to my knees and los the match by TKO. Funnily enough I didn't lose consciousness from the shots that knocked me down and I didn't go down from the shot that temporarily took my consciousness. None of the shots hurt at all, they just made me dizzy and woozy.

I've taken a few other shots in sparring or fighting which shook me up a bit, but nothing that put me out.

I did get knocked to the floor by an accidental head butt once. (We both shot in a the same time, but the other guy got lower.) I wasn't unconscious but it hurt like hell. I chose to just lay there for a minute until I was sure nothing was broken. I decided to take it easy the rest of the week and then a week later I took an accidental knee to the same exact spot of impact. It was still really, really sore.

Fortunately, these impacts have been spread out over enough years that they don't seem to have done any permanent damage to my brain function. At leest knott aas fur az I ken tell :wacky:

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was at Rick Pacetta's tournament in Philly in the spring of 1979. I remember the other black belts saying "Oh no he's here." Guess who I drew.

I was down one to nothing with thirty seconds left. I came over the top with a reverse punch. He came up under it with a roundhouse kick that connected with my jaw.

I was out before my head bounced off the concrete floor. My fife was out of the stands in what seemed like record time. I sat up and asked why was that big ring over there to my left when it belonged over there...to my left. The world straightened itself rather quickly and the ring moved back where it belonged...on my left.

The ring ref had an easy question, "Did I know my name?" Having passed that test, they took me back to First Aid where they knew the tough questions. "Do you know where you are?" Why yes, I narrowed it down to Philly or New York. For some reason they decided that if I can't remember what state I'm in, I must have been really hit hard.

I talked nonstop during the ambulance ride where I figured out that I was in Philly. The ER had a multiple gunshot/stabbing victim g come in right behind me. He tied up all of the ER's resources for the next several hours. I ended up signing myself out against their best suggestions.

My wife and I went back to the tournament where I ended up meeting Bill Wallace. My wife decided that she should drive home, despite the fact that I was feeling much better. She also wouldn't let me sleep at all during the entire ride.

Oddly enough, that was the last tournament I ever competed in.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh yes you feel like crying when you come to. Not out of any sense of sadness, you just do for a few seconds.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was at Rick Pacetta's tournament in Philly in the spring of 1979. I remember the other black belts saying "Oh no he's here." Guess who I drew.

I was down one to nothing with thirty seconds left. I came over the top with a reverse punch. He came up under it with a roundhouse kick that connected with my jaw.

I was out before my head bounced off the concrete floor. My fife was out of the stands in what seemed like record time. I sat up and asked why was that big ring over there to my left when it belonged over there...to my left. The world straightened itself rather quickly and the ring moved back where it belonged...on my left.

The ring ref had an easy question, "Did I know my name?" Having passed that test, they took me back to First Aid where they knew the tough questions. "Do you know where you are?" Why yes, I narrowed it down to Philly or New York. For some reason they decided that if I can't remember what state I'm in, I must have been really hit hard.

I talked nonstop during the ambulance ride where I figured out that I was in Philly. The ER had a multiple gunshot/stabbing victim g come in right behind me. He tied up all of the ER's resources for the next several hours. I ended up signing myself out against their best suggestions.

My wife and I went back to the tournament where I ended up meeting Bill Wallace. My wife decided that she should drive home, despite the fact that I was feeling much better. She also wouldn't let me sleep at all during the entire ride.

Oddly enough, that was the last tournament I ever competed in.
Working in sports medicine for 18 years, I’ve seen so much crazy stuff after people get their clock cleaned. Two stand out as the funniest, yet scariest. I’ve seen blood everywhere, bones sticking out of skin, obvious (and disgusting) deformities like a guy’s face caving in as I was speaking to him after a head to head collision; stuff like that. Head injuries always worried me more than anything else, especially in loss of consciousness. I always had a great poker face with them and easily followed standard protocol, but inside I was always preparing myself for the worst.

2nd funniest incident:
Soccer player jumps up for the ball, gets his feet tangled up, and lands flat on the back of his head. Clearly unconscious, but comes to right as I get to him.
Me: What happened?
Him: No clue mon, in a Caribbean accent yet he’s white and never been to the Caribbean.
Me: Where are you right now?
Him, laughing and still Caribbean: Are you blind? I’m laying down right in front of you. You’re looking right at me.
Me: What’s your name?
Him: No clue
Me: Seriously, what’s your name?
Him: Seriously, no clue.
Me: Joe, what’s your name?
Him: I don’t know but I think you just said it, unless of course you’re just F’ing with me.

He turned out ok. We had a great laugh the entire time, even though I was pretty scared. Thankfully they had an ambulance on campus.

Funniest one:
Football played gets KOed during practice. Comes to as the ambulance is pulling up.
Me: What happened?
Him: Mashed potatoes.
Me: What?
Him: Mashed potatoes
Me: What’s your name
Me: Where are you right now?
Me: What did you have for dinner last night?
Coach, laughing hysterically along with the entire team: I guess you had to ask him something he had a shot at getting right.

From that day forward, he was known as Mashed Potato Brains. He was a freshman when it happened, so he had that nickname for 4 years. Some of the guys didn’t know his actual name after a while. Oh yeah, he was fine the next day. We got him back on the field about 2 weeks later.

Latest Discussions