Has MMA done harm to martial arts

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love MMA but at times I think it has done alot of harm to the martial arts world. Most people think that you have to compete in UFC to prove that your art is effective. Real kung Fu was not made for a sporting event. There are people who train in iron palm who can break 7 bricks free standing with no spacers, why would they join a fight where they have to cover up their hands? Wing Chun concentrates on strikes to vital areas that MMA events dont allow, so why the hate for the WC guys who go into the cage under rules they are not used to following?
There is so much disrespect from MMA people trying to discredit real martial artists because they wont fight in MMA.

I like some aspects of MMA , but I dont like the Macho culture that goes along with it. I think that the machoness of MMA has taken away the Honor of Martial Arts. It seems like in MMA its all about how many tattoos you have , the baddest attidute, and the rudess mouth.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like some aspects of MMA , but I dont like the Macho culture that goes along with it. I think that the machoness of MMA has taken away the Honor of Martial Arts. It seems like in MMA its all about how many tattoos you have , the baddest attidute, and the rudess mouth.

Yeah thats right, thats why this middle aged woman has a tattoo, a grumpy attitude and a rudess mouth? (whats one of them anyway)
There's real honour in martial arts when they grade 6 year old as 2nd Dans and they make you pay contracts and if you don't they throw chi balls at you.

Of course I know TMAs aren't all like that but not all MMA is trash talking lump heads.

What is this thread? a lets beat up on MMA one? If this was a TMA you were all bad mouthing about it would generate loads of RTMs, but I guess it's open season on MMA so much for the honour of TMAs then lol!

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah thats right, thats why this middle aged woman has a tattoo, a grumpy attitude and a rudess mouth? (whats one of them anyway)
There's real honour in martial arts when they grade 6 year old as 2nd Dans and they make you pay contracts and if you don't they throw chi balls at you.

Of course I know TMAs aren't all like that but not all MMA is trash talking lump heads.

What is this thread? a lets beat up on MMA one? If this was a TMA you were all bad mouthing about it would generate loads of RTMs, but I guess it's open season on MMA so much for the honour of TMAs then lol!

I didnt say honor in people , but in martial arts. What people do dishonors themselves not the martial arts. If a teahcer promotoes a kid to a high level then it is his honestu that is question , not the culture of the martial art. Yes people are very corrupt!

Also , I didnt mean to offend you by the tattoo thing ( I have one myself) , but in the MMA community , its all about how Bada** you are , who can talk it , and so fourth. Alot of MMA fighters can fight but I HATE the culture. In (real) Muay Thai people are very friendly and polite , we take care not to hurt each other. The atmosphere is so friendly , and polite and being an a**hole as acutally looked down upon.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt say honor in people , but in martial arts. What people do dishonors themselves not the martial arts. If a teahcer promotoes a kid to a high level then it is his honestu that is question , not the culture of the martial art. Yes people are very corrupt!

Also , I didnt mean to offend you by the tattoo thing ( I have one myself) , but in the MMA community , its all about how Bada** you are , who can talk it , and so fourth. Alot of MMA fighters can fight but I HATE the culture. In (real) Muay Thai people are very friendly and polite , we take care not to hurt each other. The atmosphere is so friendly , and polite and being an a**hole as acutally looked down upon.

You are generalising. so all MT people are great and all MMA people aren't? The MMA culture? You have no idea what the culture is here in my country!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So I'm lying about British MMA then? thanks alot. No I didn't say everything was peaches and cream here but MMA is exactly as I have said, it's not a sport for wimps, it's not for your tippy tappy poncey points scorers, yes we have our share of thugs but very few in MMA, they are mostly in football. Unlicensed boxing, I know nothing about, boxing and MMA doesn't go well together in this country and have nothing to do with each other. Tell me which promotions and/or which fighters you've seen on U Tube and I will give the truth about the show.

I've been involved in MMA for eight years, we've run over 30 shows and we've been to every promotion's shows in the country. What you have to bear in mind, and I've said this before, is that MMA in the UK is a very small sport, with only a few fighters (only a couple of hundred if that in the whole country) compared to the States so of course it's different, it's like a village...we all know each other. No one said that the fighting in the ring/cage was different, just we have a different way of looking at MMA here, there's no money to be made fighting in this country so while fighters fight pro rules and receive a purse they are amateur fighters. The biggest purse will barely be a thousand pounds (only a couple of fighters ever get that) and that will have to be a big show like Cage Rage, most fighters will only get a couple of hundred pounds , semis and amateurs get expenses on our show but other shows they'll receive little or nothing. We have the British Fighting Championships coming up, the fighters purse will be five hundred pound, the biggest purse most will have ever seen.

There was no implication that everything wrong with MMA was Americans fault, thats misread. If things are wrong with MMA it's the UFCs fault and I take issue with everyone thinking that the UFC is the style of fighting.

There's nothing to say that MMA in the UK won't get huge but at the moment it's not, it's very much a minority sport, a good crowd for normal shows is a about five hundred people, Cage Rage managed more but was in London, it's also out of business. Ultimate Combat (remember that Sandstorm? lol) was quite big but also out of business.

It's not a case of wearing rose coloured glasses, after all you can't get closer to British MMA than I am, it's more a case of we are a very tiny sport here, there's far more interest in kick boxing, MT and TMAs here than MMA. MT have fight nights on the TV here.

professional fighters in the UK
We have 10 flyweights
12 bantamweights
19 featherweights
20 light weights
20 welterweights
18 middle weights
15 heavyweights - this includes Buzz Berry and Ian Freeman both retired
8 super heavyweight.

we have more people who fight semi and amateur but these aren't ranked. A fight night here will commonly have about 10-15 fights on the card, only the top two will be professional fights. There will be two to three shows a month in various parts of the country. In March theres 2 shows in Wales, one in the NE of England. The distance is too far for most other than locals to attend or fight. Some shows like ours will bring European fighters across, we have a contact in Italy who sends fighters as they have the same problem as us of having a small pool to chose from.
Tez, first, I was a little cranky, but to explain, it has nothing to do with you lying about anything. I'm not sure where that came from. It had to do with my being irritated by how cavalier you can be sometimes in disparaging America. Phrases like, "Maybe that's more to do with the State of Modern America" just push my buttons, I guess.

Honestly, I don't necessarily disagree with you for the most part, but it's like when someone insults your brother. Makes you mad, whether it's true or not. "Hey, only I can say that about him." :) I guess this morning, I should have had the second cup of joe before posting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does the kick have to be directed at the knee , a low heel kick can be very effective when directed to the shin .

The knee does not have to be broken to cause an effect , the pain from a low heel kick to the shin can be quite debilitating , like banging your shin into a coffee table.

This can cause quite a distraction and can be the pathway to a knock out punch , as for avoiding it , it is possible if the Wing Chun practitioner is from a lineage where there is one leg forward , because you only have to really worry about the forward leg .

But if they are from the both feet equal lineage then you will have two legs to worry about , that both have equal opportunity to kick you and will strike with absolutely no warning at all.

I agree, the shin is a great target. Of course, for those MMA fighters that don't wear shoes, that would probably be a target I'd avoid.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You are generalising. so all MT people are great and all MMA people aren't? The MMA culture? You have no idea what the culture is here in my country!

Your right , I have no idea what culture is in your country , but I do know what it is in mine and generally speaking the "culture" for MMA here sucks. Im sorry it just the way I feel about it. I think that being a kind , humble, and polite person holds more honor than being the meaness baddess person on the face of the palnet.

If is this something you dont understand, then it is probably something that you can't understand.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Your right , I dont know what MMA culture is like in your country because I dont live there , but here it sucks.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Your right , I have no idea what culture is in your country , but I do know what it is in mine and generally speaking the "culture" for MMA here sucks. Im sorry it just the way I feel about it. I think that being a kind , humble, and polite person holds more honor than being the meaness baddess person on the face of the palnet.

If is this something you dont understand, then it is probably something that you can't understand.
Most of the MMA guys I know personally are kind and humble. I do know of one local school in particular with a bunch of jerks. The school will take on the personality of the instructor, and students of like mind will tend to find the school that suits them, for good or ill.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve you have read my comment wrong, I went back and read my posts and what I said was "UFC advertising probably says more about modern America than it does MMA".

I didn't say "Maybe that's more to do with the State of Modern America" as you state.

America is the inventor of advertising and hype, the adverts for the UFC are high end professional advertising which says more about America as in it's a business orientated country where advertising is the lynch pin to selling. advertising in your country is a big business in itself. MMA doesn't say anything about America! it wasn't an insult in the least.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your right , I dont know what MMA culture is like in your country because I dont live there , but here it sucks.

A lot of our fighters have been across to fight in the States, we also have a British promotion there and they've all said there's really good people in America and it's not that different from the UK! We had an American fighter come across from one of our shows, Skip Hall, a real gentleman and a cracking fighter, old school TMA too, he's judged on UFC and trained with the Gracies. he would not allow any idiots to train with him I know. I find it hard to believe that in all of the huge country there's not one good MMA person or club, thats ridiculous. Chances are you've meet some idiots and are thinking we are all like that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve you have read my comment wrong, I went back and read my posts and what I said was "UFC advertising probably says more about modern America than it does MMA".

I didn't say "Maybe that's more to do with the State of Modern America" as you state.

America is the inventor of advertising and hype, the adverts for the UFC are high end professional advertising which says more about America as in it's a business orientated country where advertising is the lynch pin to selling. advertising in your country is a big business in itself. MMA doesn't say anything about America! it wasn't an insult in the least.
Hey, I said I was pre-coffee!!! What do you want me to come out and flat out say I was wr... wro... wr... wrrroooooo ... was the opposite of right? Jeez... can't you let a guy off the hook? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I said I was pre-coffee!!! What do you want me to come out and flat out say I was wr... wro... wr... wrrroooooo ... was the opposite of right? Jeez... can't you let a guy off the hook? :D

You're married right? then you understand! ROFL!! :whip1: :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, the shin is a great target. Of course, for those MMA fighters that don't wear shoes, that would probably be a target I'd avoid.

Are you allowed to wear shoes in MMA ?
What type of shoes are they ?
And if you wear shoes are you still allowed to kick with the heel ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to wear shoes in MMA ?
What type of shoes are they ?
And if you wear shoes are you still allowed to kick with the heel ?

You can wear grappling boots but they aren't recommended as they get caught easily when on the floor, you can't get out of heel, ankle and calf locks and crushes.
You can kick with what you like apart from no heel kicks to the kidneys or spine, shoes or no shoes...this is when in guard usually.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can wear grappling boots but they aren't recommended as they get caught easily when on the floor, you can't get out of heel, ankle and calf locks and crushes.
You can kick with what you like apart from no heel kicks to the kidneys or spine, shoes or no shoes...this is when in guard usually.

Interesting , I can see where having boots on would be disadvantageous in trying to release your foot from a tight ankle lock .
Thank you for your insight Tez.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think you are confusing "MMA culture" with "professional sports marketing"

MMA, outside of the "show" fighters put on is not at all like you think it is, at least not that I have seen.

On the flip side "traditional" culture when it comes to competition often seems the opposite, it puts on a show about being humble and respectful, but in reality the competitors and coaches are just as bad as any other sport.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Off topic, but if I ever jack up my toes, I'll buy a pair of sambo shoes. They're like wrestling shoes but have a soft suede sole. No worse on heel hooks than an ankle wrap.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Off topic, but if I ever jack up my toes, I'll buy a pair of sambo shoes. They're like wrestling shoes but have a soft suede sole. No worse on heel hooks than an ankle wrap.

they are better than wrestling shoes, but they do still make your feet more hook-able than bare feet. they run about a size large, too.

jf

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting , I can see where having boots on would be disadvantageous in trying to release your foot from a tight ankle lock .
Thank you for your insight Tez.

I didn't go all the way back to your original post, but I wanted to say that the few MMA fighters I know, and pretty much every Muy Thai guy I know does condition their whole shin for contact. In a street situation the person will be shocked or give at least some hesitation in most situations from a shin attack, but if you are training for that and expect pain then the advantage will be little to none. I myself after playing {gasp} soccer (yes, in America :) ) for over 20 years have very little in the way of nerves left in my shins, and I can say that when I've trained leg kicks the impact on me is much different than most people I've trained with.

I think the key is the difference between self defense and fighting a trained prize fighter.