Has MMA done harm to martial arts

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think shorts and a rash guard are quite an improvement on that...and I for one am appreciative!
Couldn't agree more. Except for the times where it might take away from the training (rarely), I think they should be allowed for TMA schools as well as MMA gyms.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its interesting regarding the use of a gi. Looking back to the early days, Royce won many fights with the assistance of his gi.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's probably one reason we don't have the trash talking very often ( it may be that we can't take it seriously being a nation of born hecklers lol), .

John Cleese could probably make a brilliant sketch about it :D

Afaik, trash talking is strongly discouraged here (Belgium). Fighters are generally expected to remain polite, or at least not insult anyone. It would draw publicity, and it would bring negative publicity to the MA schools.
Not saying that it doesn't happen, but real trash talking is frowned upon.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Cleese could probably make a brilliant sketch about it :D

Afaik, trash talking is strongly discouraged here (Belgium). Fighters are generally expected to remain polite, or at least not insult anyone. It would draw publicity, and it would bring negative publicity to the MA schools.
Not saying that it doesn't happen, but real trash talking is frowned upon.

It is here really, also tbh we're not very good at it! At a weigh in recently the fighters were told to look 'fierce' etc and two opponents told to look at each other and make like they were going to kick off, it lasted a few seconds then both fighters burst out laughing, they couldn't do it!

Gis are allowed here, few wear them, it may give you an advantage but it may also give your opponent one.

I'd disagree that in the UK we are just getting a rep for mindless violence, the quality newspapers here taken an interest in people like Bisping and Dr. Rosi Sexton as well as other characters like the 'fighting preacher'.

The BBC commisioned a documentary on womens MMA last year which I've been involved in, the filming has finished and it will be realeased as soon as it's edited, such is the interest that the BBC has had it lengthened to 90 mins. As well as the women fighters ( including Lisa Higo who went to America, fought 3 times in one night and beat them all to get the belt!) it has Britains (and Europe as far as we know) first female MMA referee.... ooh, ooh, that'll be me!! Yep, reffing professional male fights!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kudos Tez3! Good effort to get that opportunity.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Its interesting regarding the use of a gi. Looking back to the early days, Royce won many fights with the assistance of his gi.

Yeah but as said by others the gi can also be a hindrance, look how it was used against Royce more recently(ish) by Sakuraba.

When I have fought in mma against opponents wearing gis I have found they are at the disadvantage. My foundation MA was judo and I would never wear a full gi in an mma event, why present the additional choke-out and throw options that a gi affords (that one's rhetorical).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but as said by others the gi can also be a hindrance, look how it was used against Royce more recently(ish) by Sakuraba.

When I have fought in mma against opponents wearing gis I have found they are at the disadvantage. My foundation MA was judo and I would never wear a full gi in an mma event, why present the additional choke-out and throw options that a gi affords (that one's rhetorical).

thanks Zero! I'm waiting for photos to post up, scare you all lol!

You have to be so careful about wearing a gi in the ring/cage, this is precisely why!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was just commenting on the rule of not being able to grab onto clothing. Seems like it, like so many other things, worked for Royce for a short time, before it was countered.

IMHO, I think its good to train both, as it makes for a more well rounded fighter.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's actually funny you mention this...

Last night, I went to a "house show" for WWE...it was a Raw show...

All in all, I had a blast, just hanging out with a buddy of mine and his family, and I especially enjoyed the Diva's match at the beginning...

But, coincidentally, we saw this guy in line wearing an Affliction shirt. So I asked him if he trained in the area, because I was looking for a gym myself...just making conversation. He looked like he was in shape, so I figured maybe this guy will know.

His response..."Oh, yeah, I go to Gold's Gym right down the road from here, man...they got this indoor pool that will kill you."

So I told him that I didn't know Gold's Gym started having an actual MMA class. I mean, I had heard of the Tae-bo classes and junk for cardio, but never an actual MMA trainer at the gym. His response:

"MMA? Oh, you mean like that stuff that comes on pay per view...shoot, no, man!! We ain't tryin' to get kicked around! We just wanna lift weights!"

When I told him that I figured he trained MMA because of the shirt, he tells me that he got it cause it looked cool. He had never actually heard of Affliction before. He thought it was "crazy *** rock band".

Maybe if the shirts had some hint that the company is related to MMA, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's just a cool looking shirt to most guys around here.
Same with people wearing Oakley gear. How many of those who wear Oakley shades have any clue that the company's claim to fame was orthopedic BMX bicycle handlebar grips? They made (I assume still make) products for road bikes and mountain bikes as well. I never wore Oakley gear, and few of the people that I have known who did wear it had any connction with competative cycling.

No biggie. The non competitors who buy sports gear, whatever the sport, help to keep the gear in production for those of us who do. And who knows? A small few may become interested in the sport as a result.

Either way, everyone wins.

Daniel

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's funny, though, how companies will shift gears over time. Personally, I wouldn't presume someone in an Affliction shirt trains in MMA or BJJ, just like TapOut. I mentioned earlier that I consider those to be more commercial brands. I mean, if you can buy them in the mall, they aren't targeting hard core fans. Warrior Wear is another one that is pretty mainstream. They may or may not, but I'd err to the "not" side. :)

I would be surprised to see someone in a Fokai shirt who doesn't train, and of course any of the BJJ brands like Gameness, Koral, Keiko Raca and such.

As an aside, Oakley was bought out a few years ago. Are they still in the business of making gear for competitive cycling?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sadly, I just saw this posted on Martial Arts Forum.

Apparently, the founder of Tappout was killed. Looks like he was struck by a drunk driver. My prayers go out to his family and whoever the passenger was who was with him (hospitalized).

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/03/11/charles-lewis-mask-of-tapout-dies/

Daniel
I read about this the day it happened. I had heard he was racing a porsche when he lost control of his ferrari. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both drunk. :(

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read about this the day it happened. I had heard he was racing a porsche when he lost control of his ferrari. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both drunk. :(
Sad either way. I posted a separate thread about in General MA, as it really isn't pertinant to this topic. I just mentioned it here because Tapout has been part of our discussion on this thread.

Daniel

Latest Discussions