Has anyone had to use Wing-Chun for self-defense ?

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Understood. Thank you.
Are these publicly available or are they only for students of those particular lineages? It would be great to get a discussion going in another thread about the Kuen Kuit!
I am sure there are lists on the net. I believe Stephen Chao shared some of the Lo Kwai Kuit with Brian Scanlon back when he was doing his wing chun research 20 years ago. He published them somewhere.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's a good point. Should we look at a MA tool (such as Bong Shou) just from the WC point of view, or should we look at it from the general MA point of view?

I always think that Bong Shou is more than just a block. In both the long fist and the Gong Li system, Bong Shou is used as a "spiral punch" (at 0.49).

Speaking for our wing chun only Bong sau has several punching applications. The forms have both a spiral punch and overhand punch bong sao's. Once you see our forms you can see where they are hinted at or should be in more modern forms

Your wrestling use also exists directly in bui jee, It continues with the folding elbow driving a throw with a circle step sweep or a knee bump You can see this clearly in Pan Nam Bui Jee as well.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's why I said as long as the terminology is correct, then the system is at much less risk of degradation.

Callen, would you mind providing an example of this? Thanks man!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or it isn't.
Because? I’m not suggesting your statement is inaccurate, rather I’m just curious why people, you, in this case care? I mean to say it’s rather subjective. I can certainly best most old ladies in a street fight if they don’t see me coming, but you might be able to wreck me in seconds. In either case, can I fight? I have fought, thus I can? Is it because they sell a low quality product to innocent and unsuspecting customers? I can get down with the sentiment against that. Hard chargers or nothing? I can even understand that standard too, though I don’t hold up to it by any measure.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because? I’m not suggesting your statement is inaccurate, rather I’m just curious why people, you, in this case care? I mean to say it’s rather subjective. I can certainly best most old ladies in a street fight if they don’t see me coming, but you might be able to wreck me in seconds. In either case, can I fight? I have fought, thus I can? Is it because they sell a low quality product to innocent and unsuspecting customers? I can get down with the sentiment against that. Hard chargers or nothing? I can even understand that standard too, though I don’t hold up to it by any measure.

It is a very tropey stance from people who generally don't understand the subject.
Screenshot_20231228_172411_Google.jpg

So people who make these kind of claims I tend not to take as seriously.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a very tropey stance from people who generally don't understand the subject.
View attachment 30549

So people who make these kind of claims I tend not to take as seriously.
Funny because most people haven’t been in a fight since grade school. I like people who make threats and big claims about their prowess because then you know all you need to know about them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Funny because most people haven’t been in a fight since grade school. I like people who make threats and big claims about their prowess because then you know all you need to know about them.
It is a weird way of justifying a system that I just don’t like. It becomes rhetoric or anecdotes rather than scientific method.

That leads to a whole bunch of misconceptions. Which eventually breaks the system. And you get some sort of nonsense.

Tough capable guys testing against tough capable guys is the most bulletproof method of determining if your system will stand up to adversity.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Funny because most people haven’t been in a fight since grade school.
You can fight in

- the street against a guy who has no MA training, or
- MA tournament (or spar in your MA school) against a guy who has as much MA training as you have.

Which fight is harder in your opinion? Do you think a person who has no MA training can really hurt a person who has MA training in the street (assume no weapon involved)?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can fight in

- MA tournament (or spar in your MA school) against a guy who has as much MA training as you have.

Which fight is harder in your opinion?
Each is harder in specific ways. The "fights" I'm more likely to be involved in on the street won't be well broadcast (or I'd have time to avoid them), so little or no time to prepare in the moment. The opponent there is an unknown. The opponent in the ring is better known, but on average of higher skill - we'll both have a chance to prepare for it.
Do you think a person who has no MA training can really hurt a person who has MA training in the street (assume no weapon involved)?
Sure.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a weird way of justifying a system that I just don’t like. It becomes rhetoric or anecdotes rather than scientific method.

That leads to a whole bunch of misconceptions. Which eventually breaks the system. And you get some sort of nonsense.

Tough capable guys testing against tough capable guys is the most bulletproof method of determining if your system will stand up to adversity.
You can fight in

Which fight is harder in your opinion? Do you think a person who has no MA training can really hurt a person who has MA training in the street (assume no weapon involved)?
yes anything is possible.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You can fight in

For me all fights are hard. Anyone can get a lucky shot and down you go. I have known people that got punched in a parking lot fell hit the back of their head on pavement and died. Its been decades since I fought in any way however I always feared street fight more than ring fights /sparring. You don't know what can happen on the street. Ring fights I always knew what could happen ,no one was trying to kill me and I could stop if I was hurt.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fight can be:

- friendly sparring.
- unfriendly challenge.
- tournament fight.
- street fight.
- police, bodyguard, security job.
- soldier battlefield fight.
- human against alien fight.
Now you're just being ridiculous. I have no friends when sparring.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A fight can be:

- friendly sparring.
- unfriendly challenge.
- tournament fight.
- street fight.
- police, bodyguard, security job.
- soldier battlefield fight.
- human against alien fight.

the thread specifically says self defense…mostly been reading about how bad *** so n so thinks they are, or how wing Chun sucks

or this wing Chun Sifu isnt a good teacher because he doesn’t do this n that.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair, you’ve done nothing but trash WC in this thread. Your points are often flippant. You can’t even do a simple Google search as to who anyone I’ve posted is

you're attitude is, who are these people, my attitude is, why do they train WC, what do they see in it.

maybe you have an alternate motivation, many online do. I’m not trying to be rude, I’m just responding to your posts and I’ve been way more polite then you and many here claim to be.
You haven't been polite at all. You're basically a Wing Chun mafia applicant.

Not that I ever asked you to be, dude, but I'm between the two of us, I view Wing Chun like I view Monk's Cheese.

"Nothing but trash WC in this thread". That's a bummer, man.
also why wouldn’t you use wing Chun against a boxer? Again why didn’t you just search YouTube of Izzo training with different martial artists?
Because Wing Chun and Boxing are the same thing.

Why didn't I "search"?

What do you hear? The water, the birds, or the Grasshopper?
also how is one the guy Fierri of WC? You literally can search him with boxers, students of Dan Inosanto, other WC guys.
They look alike.

I can literally search him?

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You haven't been polite at all. You're basically a Wing Chun mafia applicant.

Not that I ever asked you to be, dude, but I'm between the two of us, I view Wing Chun like I view Monk's Cheese.

"Nothing but trash WC in this thread". That's a bummer, man.

Because Wing Chun and Boxing are the same thing.

Why didn't I "search"?

What do you hear? The water, the birds, or the Grasshopper?

They look alike.

I can literally search him?
But nothing I said was a lie…you just said you view wing Chun as trash. Secondly I have been polite, it’s not my fault you can’t use Google and down other martial artists Like you did Dom Izzo

Look at your replies, you don’t respond to anything I post, just post to post. I guess as long as you look popular and smart right? Who said boxing and wing Chun were alike? I’m saying why wouldn’t a WC guy fight a boxer?

i wouldn't mind just having my account deleted, people like you killed any enjoyment I had here. Armchair wanna be’s.

Yes I’m in the WC mafia, the mafia goes around posting online…i can tell right now you’re not in your thirties.

anyway I’m out

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
But nothing I said was a lie…you just said you view wing Chun as trash.
Wing Chun as trash?

That's just crazy.
Secondly I have been polite, it’s not my fault you can’t use Google and down other martial artists Like you did Dom Izzo
I didn't need to Google Dom Izzo. But it would make a great pizza.

It was like two images came. Dom Izzo's cigar smoking Guy Fieri pic.

And then the southern Shaolin Grandmasters.

Dom Izzo against the southern Grandmasters of Shaolin? Still losing.
Look at your replies, you don’t respond to anything I post, just post to post. I guess as long as you look popular and smart right? Who said boxing and wing Chun were alike? I’m saying why wouldn’t a WC guy fight a boxer?

i wouldn't mind just having my account deleted, people like you killed any enjoyment I had here. Armchair wanna be’s.

Yes I’m in the WC mafia, the mafia goes around posting online…i can tell right now you’re not in your thirties.

anyway I’m out
I don't respond to anything you post?

Listen, when I "Wing Chun mafia", everyone in the Wing Chun scene knows what I mean.

Don't be that guy.

Latest Discussions