Hardy interview: Swick needs to be cautious or else

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
11-12-2009 01:50 PM:

Dan Hardy would make a heck of a pro wrestler. If only he could overcome the fact that he's not a steroid injesting 270-pounder, Hardy has the chops to sell to himself. Barely on most UFC fight fan's radar, Hardy talked his way into a match against Marcus Davis. And then during the fight at UFC 99, it was clear that the 37-year-old Davis lost his focus because of all the prefight trash talk. Hardy said it was nothing personal and purely tactical. The Brit points out that he didn't even try it with his opponent at UFC 105 because he knew it wouldn't work on Mike Swick. Plus he kind of likes the guy after they spent time together touring U.S. military bases before the event in Cologne:

"He's a nice guy. He's a dedicated athlete. I don't have anything bad to say about the guy apart from Saturday night I'm going to have to put him to sleep," Hardy (22-6, 3-0 UFC) told Cagewriter.

There you go! Hardy wasn't going to restrict himself the entire way up to the fight. He even joked at this morning's UFC 105 prefight press conference by awarding Swick a runner-up trophy.

Swick (14-2, 9-1 UFC) has come straight forward and most of his UFC fights. It's been effective. He's finished five of his UFC opponents in the first round. Hardy says Swick better be a little more cautious with him:

"I'm prepared for everything but I figure it'll be very dangerous for him to come running at me. You won't run into a cactus would you, without getting spiked. If he runs forward, he's going to get hit with something.

Hardy says he'll stay in front of Swick:

"I don't do backing up. I don't do moving away if I don't think I need to. And I don't feel like I need to with Swick."

Hardy did much of his prep work for the ultra-fast Swick with Paul Daley and the runner-up from season nine of "The Ultimate Fighter," Andre Winner. Hardy said in spite of Winner's lack of experience, he's got the fastest hands he's ever seen and that includes some of the boxers he's worked with.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions