Hard block and parrying.

Which do u think is more effective and practical

• Hard Block

• Parry

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
M

muayThaiPerson

From what you saying, the defender is only defending not offending. When you block his hit, you standing your ground and have the advantage a leg attack. From doing rough sparring, I used to back up, but my opponent helped me by telling me to stand my ground and attack. I found it useful. Parrying requeries leaning which takes more time than hard blocks. Therefore making you open to more attacks.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
Most people who fight in the streets just punch. They usually keep punching non stop and some grabbing is involved. Rarely have i seen kicks. and when i do, they are cheap toe kicks with the shoe.

Punching, when its non stop, is very hard to parry. Given that theres a lot of movement involved compared to hard block. Theoretically, parrying will get the opponent open to a counterattack. Thats true if they are going 70%(something like that). But in reality, a hard block will give you the advantage.

For example, the way we block a hook in muay thai, our arm blocks the side of our head almost completely. The hand near the back of the head and the elbow is pointing forward.....If an individual hooks, then they will definatly be open to an elbow to the face. Once he hooks, hes on the outside, thus gives you the advantage. If you have experience in fighting, then you will understand what i mean.

And if you knew how to fight, you'd know that it is just as easy to parry continuous punches as it is to parry just 1. In fact when you parry correctly, and do your stuff, it will be the only punch that he throws, if you do it correctly. :shrug:

And in case you ask, yes that is experience speaking!
--Dave

:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist
Because a street fight isn't like a ring fight. A street fight lasts 30 seconds or less, and it's like an all-out burst most of the time.

Man, that's a long fight.....

I would prefer, it was over in less than 10.

--Dave

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Look. No one moves at Mach 1, you cant expect to parry EVERY punch. And for the guy who said "who leans when they parry", how do you expect to parry while standing there?? Are you gonna keep moving back? What if you trip? Then your screwed

OP
Y

yilisifu

We never lean when we parry. We move our entire bodies out of the line of fire. Leaning causes a loss of balance and root and leaves one vulnerable to a quick defeat.

No, no one moves at mach one...but if you have to parry or block more than once or twice, your technique needs more work.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Look. No one moves at Mach 1, you cant expect to parry EVERY punch. And for the guy who said "who leans when they parry", how do you expect to parry while standing there?? Are you gonna keep moving back? What if you trip? Then your screwed
And you're never going to block every punch either. If you're inside, it's easier to block. When you're outside, it's easier and quicker to just parry. And, if you block, you leave that quick second open for another attack. It's a tactic that everyone does, regardless of style. Hell, it's even in basketball, or soccer (football).

Are you going to keep moving back? No. But take a tip from Ali, who would frequently move back, move side to side, etc.

Trip? You practice so you don't trip. However, there will be the chance on the street that you might trip over something. If you stand still and block, you are basically a standing target. Give me a fighter who doesn't move frequently, and I give you a dead one. Even Butterbean moves around quite a bit for a fat man.

OP
S

sweeper

well I was gona say what yilisifu said :p

yeah when I parry I do so moving side to side, either away or twards the attacking limb, away to get out of the way, twards if my parry can totaly control the attack and to position myself away from the other arm.

also parrying doesn't mean you can't attack, when I parry I want their hand/arm to be out of position so I can hit before their arm comes back into the guard. I also might parry on oneside and block on the other. So if someone throws a cross I might parry it out or in, block the incomming hook and simultaniously throw a straight hand off the parrying arm. And of course there is always a simultanious or near simultanious attack/parry, where you parry out and cross or something like that.

I mean you don't have to parry all the time, and I don't think you should, butparrying and block are two aspects of deffence that you have to use in coordination with other aspects, like footwork and head movement. If you are in a good position it's hard for your opponant to hit you, if you have good body/head movement and good footwork a parry can assist a slip or bobing or whatever.

OP
T

TragicHero

I go with the "get out of the way": approach myself. Well, more like, "move post-haste to the side, putting up a redirecting hand as an insurance policy". Then, hopefully, I'm to his side and I counter.
I did some Wing Chun, so I got used to the whole concept of always striking when I block too... in my current art (a Shaolin style) we always try to move off-line and/or use the force of the attack against the partner. So I might move out of the way from your punch/kick, or I might just go with the energy, 'guiding' you in a circular rotation that takes all that energy and moves it more towards moving *you* off-balance (and perhaps even down to the ground if I do it right...).

Or I might hard block. It's better than getting hit. But as my sifu always points out, that is power against power. Can be risky. If you're smart, you do the same thing Wing Chun advocates -- you redirect the energy off the line they are throwing it... hard to counter me pushing your arm off at a 90 degree angle to the direction of your force.

But I still stick with the "getting out of the way" option :). We do side-stepping drills *every class*, so even if you're not a 16-year old with the reflexes of a gazelle, you learn to get out of the way. We have a 60 year old lady in our class that manages it just fine :). She's just learned to 'read' the opponent and give herself the maximum amount of time to move efficiently :)

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
They broke their hands/arms only because of two things -

Wrong technique for the wrong situation.

Improper conditioning or improper execution of the block.

Some folks just don't know...

Gambarimasu.

They are all young bucks and newbies who tried to apply the classical blocking techniques.

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people who fight in the streets just punch. They usually keep punching non stop and some grabbing is involved. Rarely have i seen kicks. and when i do, they are cheap toe kicks with the shoe.

Punching, when its non stop, is very hard to parry. Given that theres a lot of movement involved compared to hard block. Theoretically, parrying will get the opponent open to a counterattack. Thats true if they are going 70%(something like that). But in reality, a hard block will give you the advantage.

For example, the way we block a hook in muay thai, our arm blocks the side of our head almost completely. The hand near the back of the head and the elbow is pointing forward.....If an individual hooks, then they will definatly be open to an elbow to the face. Once he hooks, hes on the outside, thus gives you the advantage. If you have experience in fighting, then you will understand what i mean.

Actually that is a good observation. Most of the street fight is simply a barrage of left and right punches that come raining down on you all of a sudden. Surprisingly that actually has taken down a lot of pros. I have seen many COPS gone down under this attack! lol Yes, I know many of you will get indignant about this. But I have seen this happened. Even Wing Chun great,William Cheung got jumped by the young Bozteppe (sp). Later he complained that he got JUMPED! HA! I guess he finally knew how the rest of us felt! lol

Come to think of it, isn't this barrage of left and right punches what Bruce Lee and the JKD folks called the "straight blast"?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Johnathan Napalm
Come to think of it, isn't this barrage of left and right punches what Bruce Lee and the JKD folks called the "straight blast"?

yep...Paul Vunak practices a pretty vicious straight blast barrage in which he charges his opponent (pretty much just running at him really) and fires off alternating straight blasts til he gets the results he wants. i'd say quick footwork would be the best asset to have against an attack like that, especially if it's Vunak flying at you.

OP
S

sweeper

well a straight blast is a series of straight punches, genneraly they aren't as commited as crosses but more so than jabs because your body tends to square off as you are using both arms equaly. Basicly it's like a wing chun chain punch.

I don't know exactly what the street barrage thing that you are tlaking about is, if it's all straight punches than it's probably like the JKD thing, if it is just a bunch of wiald punches it probably isn't.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

If you watch MMA fights, you can see the fighters take the hits, thats why they dont move back as much as street fight. The speed people on the streets move at you is really fast. You cant just expect to hop back once and own it. If you moving back, you mine as well run away because he aint gonna stop. Without standing you ground, theres no chance you'll ever hit him. Parrying is good when your on the outside but it will keep you on the outside. Stepping in and blocking will get you to the inside. When i mentioned experience, I didnt mean competetions with rules. I meant bare fist attacks.

OP
M

Mormegil

You can parry and step inside too.

I would prefer to parry with one hand, and strike with the other simultaenously.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Actually that is a good observation. Most of the street fight is simply a barrage of left and right punches that come raining down on you all of a sudden. Surprisingly that actually has taken down a lot of pros. I have seen many COPS gone down under this attack! lol Yes, I know many of you will get indignant about this. But I have seen this happened. Even Wing Chun great,William Cheung got jumped by the young Bozteppe (sp). Later he complained that he got JUMPED! HA! I guess he finally knew how the rest of us felt! lol

Emin Botzepe is a thug, no more, no less. Shame that all his talent goes to waste.

Anyway, it was more of a professional exhibition match, like pretty much a lot of matches such as a UFC match, or a bout. But Botzepe took it like a street fight. He even threatened the Gracies when the Gracies primarily focus on pro fighting, not street fighting. Yeah, some of the Gracies talk a lot, but how much Emin does... That's just unprofessional.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Originally posted by Mormegil
You can parry and step inside too.

I would prefer to parry with one hand, and strike with the other simultaenously.

What do you mean?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They are all young bucks and newbies who tried to apply the classical blocking techniques.

Because, as we all know, classical blocking just doesn't work, right?

Keep on fooling yourself and considering mini-mall kah-rah-tay to be exemplary of classical training...

Gambarimasu.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
well a straight blast is a series of straight punches, genneraly they aren't as commited as crosses but more so than jabs because your body tends to square off as you are using both arms equaly. Basicly it's like a wing chun chain punch.

I don't know exactly what the street barrage thing that you are tlaking about is, if it's all straight punches than it's probably like the JKD thing, if it is just a bunch of wiald punches it probably isn't.

pretty much a jkd thing....and if you wanted to get annoyingly technical, A straight blast is just one punch...i called it a barrage because that's really the only way to describe it.

some would call it a straight blast...some would call it a vertical punch...but it's not what i would call uncontrolled punching...it may seem wild but it's far from uncontrolled. i watched an MMA match...UFC i believe where this basically got a fighter the knockout....it's on one of the sherdog highlight vid clips too.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

I have video footage of William Chung taking a beating in Germany some years back. Is this the fight you guys are talking about?
He was teaching a class at the time and is challenged by a guy who walks up to him and starts hitting. They go to ground and Chung ends up under his attacker looking quite helpless within a few seconds.
Can't say I was impressed by his skill [?] at all.

Mike.

Latest Discussions