Hapkido as Your Primary Art.

H

hapki-bujutsu

he is my seconh hapkido and teacher and I would say for a little over a year. i was just watching the best of the best movies and read the back and saw that the start does both tkd and hapkido. Maybe if soem one did tkd hapkido and bjj they would have one heck of a full rounded training.

D

Dragongup

Hapkido, is my favorite of the two, but I study Tae Kwon Do too. Unlike many people I study them both at the same dojang. So I use both with equal skill, wich probably isn't saying much. Simply put, Hapkido Rocks! It is an art by itself, not riding on the coat tails of Tae Kwon Do. It is more fluid and applicable than Tae Kwon Do. Wich is the major difference in the two Korean arts. Tae Kwon Do has the kicks and punch part of self defence, but Hapkido has the in close, grappling, joint locking part. They work well together, and yet are still seperate parts of the same picture.
Thats my oppinion anyhow.

S

shadow warrior

I have been involved in Hapkido for more than 25 years..It is NOT just Tae Kwon Do with joint locks.

First, of all the kicking mechanics are completely different.

Second, of all it is a combat based system not a sport!

Although there are some lineage differences and time degereration issues in many branches, essential aspects of root Hapkido can still be found.

As a general, although not perfect rule..if both styles are offered by the same instructor..look them up on Hapkido - Net to check their location in terms of lineage!! If they are not on there,,why? This is an extensive site dedicated to Hapkido only.

T

tkdguy1982

The taekwondo dojo I take from, our master is a 5th degree BB in hapkido, he incorporates in with TKD, but I don't think they criss cross w/ each other. To me they are two different styles. Just my opinion.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This might sound a bit odd, but I have found something quite a bit different.
What I have seen is that people just starting out in Hapkido and Aikido AND people who have been in both arts for quite a while can be very effective in their execution. Its the people who have been around just long enough to be seduced by some exotic belief system which ultimately does more to get in their way than help out.

As far as fluidity goes, the Hapkido arts whether using a weapon or not, encourage fluid movement and transition from one move to the next. Problem is that most people don't train this way. Consider this for a moment.
Picture 5 people arranged like the five on a die-- one in the middle and one at each of the cardinal directions of the compass. In turn each person attacks with a punch. The trick is that after the first person is taken down, the guy in the center must now deal with attack #2 from the LAST POSITION. This is very different from resetting to the middle position at fighting posture after each attack. It is also interesting how one deals with a subsequent attack if the previous attack was dealt with using a lock or pin rather than a projection or a throw. One needs to learn how to transition from each posture to the next technique. Just some food for thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dad is a master in Hapkido, so I grew up with hapkido being a part of me. I consider hapkido my first art, however I take Tae Kwon Do as well.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
These threads are over 2 years old - and most of the respondants are not even here any more - start new threads - or at least pay attention to the audience that you are addressing - again as most are not here.

Latest Discussions