Hapkido / Aiki Jujutsu connection?

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello folks.
For years the history that is shared with the public about the Hapkido / Aiki Jujutsu connection or more specifically, the Sokaku Takeda / Yong Sul Choi connection has been debated and nobody it seems can confirm or disprove this. I was just curious if anyone here has anything new to add to this history that is not already public knowledge either confirming or disproving this history. I agree with what I've read and heard in the past, that no matter what it is hard to deny the fact that the techniques in both systems are very similar.
Thank you in advance folks for your time and effort in contributing to this thread.
Take care of yourselves folks and God Bless you.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tim try checking the old posts - this question / debate has been done to death

Mr.Rooster said:
Hello folks.
For years the history that is shared with the public about the Hapkido / Aiki Jujutsu connection or more specifically, the Sokaku Takeda / Yong Sul Choi connection has been debated and nobody it seems can confirm or disprove this. I was just curious if anyone here has anything new to add to this history that is not already public knowledge either confirming or disproving this history. I agree with what I've read and heard in the past, that no matter what it is hard to deny the fact that the techniques in both systems are very similar.
Thank you in advance folks for your time and effort in contributing to this thread.
Take care of yourselves folks and God Bless you.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please read through the older threads. As Kumbajah says, the topic has been done to death, and I'd say back again and through a few more reincarnations as well.

As you peruse the history here, you will see that some users are no longer here because of repeated rule-breaking. I invite you to investigate some netiquette and read the rules thoroughly before engaging in any kind of debate on any topic.

If you have any questions at all or need help with anything, please feel free to PM me (I moderate the Korean forums) or another senior staff member.

Enjoy!

Georgia Ketchmark

OP
Mr.Rooster

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jeesh, sorry folks, didn't mean to make anyone wonna slap me.
Was just trying to participate here is all. It almost feels like your saying not to post as what you post might have been posted before. Well, sorry about that folks but this is a forum and this is the kind of thing your suppose to do at a place like this. Anyway, I will try to be more careful with what I post in the future. What's a safe topic around these part's where your not breaking any rules? Anything and everything you mention has probably been said here before so I guess nobody should be posting.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Nelson,

It's not that anyone wants to "slap you." I'm sure if you read through some old threads on the topic you'll see what we mean.

By all means, post away. We encourage all newcomers to read through the old stuff to check out previous conversations - perhaps an old one can be revived.

Also, please remove the bolding from your posts - it's just a netiquette thing.

Thanks.

Barrie

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Mr Nelson,

I suggest you slip over to the Aikido Journal Forum where there is some new info on this topic. The discussions there have a lot more meat and one of the knowledgeable banned guys from here is contributing interesting and informative stuff.

kind regards,

Barrie Restall

OP
Mr.Rooster

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Restall:

Thank you for that. I check Aikido Journal every once in awhile. Sensei Pranin [site owner] is a good man and I like to drop in and say Hello from time to time. Again, Thanks for the info.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Barrie said:
Dear Mr Nelson,

I suggest you slip over to the Aikido Journal Forum where there is some new info on this topic. The discussions there have a lot more meat and one of the knowledgeable banned guys from here is contributing interesting and informative stuff.

kind regards,

Barrie Restall
Damn those mods for booting people who know everything.
Except how to follow rules and be respectful of their guest status.
I guess the higher the supposed rank, the less one needs to be mature, hmm?

Actually, my opinion is, it really takes alot to get banned from here. One has to be an almost absolute arsehead in fact.

Who we talkin about anyway? There's been a number of windbags tossed since I've been around.

;)

J

JanneM

I think we are talking about Gald2beHere.

He really knows what he is talking about. He is student of dojunim Kim Yung Sang and has great knowledge oh hapki arts and their history.

He might have strong oppinions about stuf but don't we all. :)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Tim!

Welcome to MT..:partyon:

It's always good to see another Hapkidoin on MT..enjoy!

Barrie

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Bester,

Do you have anything constructive to contribute? Isnt there a rule about names on this forum?

People in glass houses.....

Barrie Restall

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Barrie said:
Hi Bester,

Do you have anything constructive to contribute? Isnt there a rule about names on this forum?

Barrie Restall
I seem to contribute alot....note the green dots by my name.

Certain "banned" folks...they got lots of red. I think thats for being FOS.

As to names, mine is Al. Nice to meet you. :wavey:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Barrie said:
Hi Bester,

Barrie Restall
Yes, there is. You must submit your real name when you sign on and that information is kept confidential by staff. However, no member here is required to disclose their full legal name on the public forum or to the other members. That is strictly voluntary, Mr. Restall.

If you have any concerns or questions about this, please feel free to PM me or another senior staff member or post the question in our Member Support Forum.

Regards,

G Ketchmark
MT Senior Mod.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
Actually, my opinion is, it really takes alot to get banned from here. One has to be an almost absolute arsehead in fact.
Not so--I'm still here.

My understanding is that Hapkido was strongly influenced by aikijutsu--that much of it comes from Japanese jujutsu.

A

AikidoCal

I would say this is one of the most heated and oldest debates on the internet since the first newsgroup on martial arts appeared. I have read it on so many different forms I have lost track of them over the years.

For the Koreans there is a connection, they benefit by such a connection. For the Japanese there is no connection, that is good cause they don't want to wear egg on there face. For the other Korean government who resently sent a test nuke missile over or toward or near Japan says something. Looking at Korean politics and propoganda ( both governments )since the Korean war and most recently that says it all and a good indicator and incite to many of the posts favoring the Korean connection.

As an Aikidoka, it doesn't mean anything to me either way. It is for some just a big propoganda campaign and war.

I once had the opportunity to see a Korean National Hapkido demo team. Frankly, it was almost darn close to a circus side show if it wasn't for the a brief martial arts demo in the middle of the so called demonstrations of martial arts prowness. The martial art's demo showed a typical Tae Kwon do demo followed by a Hapikido demo. In that Hapikido demo I seen a lot of Aikido being done. This is in terms of the techniques shown, and how the where performed. Cane and belt techniques where also shown. Now I have seen Aikijujitsu on tape. If what I saw in the demo was based on Aikijujitsu is it is very basic. More similar though, in terms of technique and exacution, to pre-war like Aikido-almost.

I suspect with the advent of a leading mainline Daito Ryu Aikijujitsuka and others branches of the mainline Daito Ryu Aikijujitsuka putting out tapes we will see Hapikido become more closely looking like that of Daito Ryu, the what it did 20 years ago.

Just my opinon. That doesn't really matter. But this debate really is a propoganda war between the Koreans and the Japanese. More so for the Koreans. If the Koreans are successful then they have a party and the Japanese sulk. Point is it doesn't really matter.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AikidoCal said:
For the Koreans there is a connection, they benefit by such a connection. For the Japanese there is no connection, that is good cause they don't want to wear egg on there face.
I just want to point out that with the end of the Japanese occupation there was a tidal wave of Korean nationalism in an effort to "erase" any and all Japanese influence from their martial culture.FYI

I said that to say this...I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that some Korean nationals would breath a bit easier if it ever came out that in fact what DJN Choi learned was an ancient Korean temple art or some such,rather than DRAJJ.

Even in some Hapkido books the text reads w/o any mentioning of a Japanese influence.....for example...How did we get the "Daehan Kidohae"...and World Kido Association,etc?...They noticed that the Hanja for Hapkido and Aikido are the same and it was an attempt to distance themselves from Japan.

Koreans would benefit? I think not.

In the end you are absolutely correct in that it doesn't matter one whit. The two arts are beyond reconciliation of any type. (Kinda like some styles of Hapkido) :lol: But I would venture that most Hapkidoin don't have too much riding on a Japanese root.

Latest Discussions