hand checks

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanzo04 said:
can someone explain to me what hand checks are?
I may be misunderstanding the question, but kenpo happens a bit closer than TKD; so, the hands are tasked to cancel your opponents weapons upon your return motion. Positional checks are self explanatory but activated checks are pretty cool. Its late but I'll try to relate a concept you know. A parry is pretty much a strike followed by and activated check. Webster describes parries as "warding off" a blow, but your are in fact checking the strike after the initial contact.
Sean

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
fighter one strikes. fighter 2 blocks.fighter 1 hold strike out to hold block in place and then parries hand out of the way in order to strike fighter 2 with his other hand.

Basically, a hand check is like a block that looks like a strike.

I think that's what your talking about.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Hand Check is the Hand Movement that helps the defender prevent a possible movement/attack from the attacker after a block or a strike by the defender.

Such as an outside defense aganist a left punch.

• Left hand you do a outside block to the arm throwing the punch then you drop your hand on the arm (grapping or pushing it down) to prevent the opponent to use it again or pulling it back.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Hand Check is the Hand Movement that helps the defender prevent a possible movement/attack from the attacker after a block or a strike by the defender.

Such as an outside defense aganist a left punch.

• Left hand you do a outside block to the arm throwing the punch then you drop your hand on the arm (grapping or pushing it down) to prevent the opponent to use it again or pulling it back.
Ya, what he said....

Much better wording.:cool:

OP
T

tsunami

I totally agree with Mr Weiser. What I would like to add is that a Check is an application and a Cover is antisipation. Meaning that a check and a cover can look the same but the cover does not touch. It is positioned to monitor possible movement.

Have a good one! George

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In law enforcement jargon a handcheck is a call to the clerks office to check on any warrants that are new and have made it to the computer yet..(Forgive me please I couldn't resist)

Latest Discussions