Halliburton Seeking Contracts to Rebuild New Orleans?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are a business. They do employ a lot of people, providing needed jobs. Are they not supposed to be allowed to operate? Put them under the microscope and oversight if needs be, but this just seems like another political hack job....

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
They are a business. They do employ a lot of people, providing needed jobs. Are they not supposed to be allowed to operate? Put them under the microscope and oversight if needs be, but this just seems like another political hack job....
Are they a local business? Will the money generated by the government contracts help the devestated local economy? Or are they using their influence to grab as many dollars as they can...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What "local businesses" in New Orleans are in operation?

Anyway. What should Haliburton be allowed to do? Or are you just pissed at its general existence.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Great. Love to see them do it without a no bid contract tho.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tgace said:
What "local businesses" in New Orleans are in operation?

Anyway. What should Haliburton be allowed to do? Or are you just pissed at its general existence.
How about something that is atleast based within the state?

Halliburton is using its connections to jump in on the orgy of federal spending that is about to commence. This money, circulating in the hands of locals would help the devastated area recover quicker. This, IMO, is a prime example of undue corporate influence on government. Who can really compete against that?

Also, I think it is interesting that Joe Allbaugh says, "We are not seeking government contracts," and suddenly the news comes out that the Navy contracted them.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least we don't have to worry about paying the 'Prevailing Wage'.

The prevailing wage law, as I understand it, has been around for decades. In my incomplete knowledge, it is supposed to pay the local rates for labor performed under government contracts; labor to perform a task in New York City is considerably more expensive than labor to perform the same task in, say Berlin, NH (a depressed town that lost its one industry (paper) 20 years ago).

How should we perceive this waiver of Prevailing Wage.

If we assume that local laborers are hired to work on the reconstruction. Let's rebuild New Orleans, but let's not pay these displaced laborers what they would be paid to do the job normally. This will help keep costs down. They don't have any other work. And rumor has it that the prevailing wage on the gulf coasts is one of the lowest prevailing wages in the country .... see comments about poor people.

Or ...

Since it is Government Money, and it is going to our good friends at Halliburton, who seem to be doing such an excellent job in everything they do, and that their immediate former CEO has such a good grasp on the governments testicles, Let's allow Halliburton to bill the government more money than is actually required by the Prevailing Wage law. After all, many of these laborers are used to earning a thousand dollars a day for driving a truck in Iraq.

I don't know ... seems either way ... that waiver of the Prevailing Wage law means somebody's getting screwed. .... and I think it might be me.

Old Tiger

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Are they a local business? Will the money generated by the government contracts help the devestated local economy? Or are they using their influence to grab as many dollars as they can...
as matter of fact, they are. They are based in New Orleans, Lafayette, Houma etc. They have an ungodly amount of equipment and material readily available, as well as manpower in place. Sure, they got a bad rap for Iraq but having lived down there I can tell you they are probably the best choice to get the job done. It is their back yard.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Old Tiger said:
as matter of fact, they are. They are based in New Orleans, Lafayette, Houma etc. They have an ungodly amount of equipment and material readily available, as well as manpower in place. Sure, they got a bad rap for Iraq but having lived down there I can tell you they are probably the best choice to get the job done. It is their back yard.

So, why do you think the Prevailing Wage law was rescinded?

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a question for you all. Just because I'm unsure of the answer and perhaps you can educate me. What company would you have chosen instead of Halliburton?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shorin Ryuu said:
I have a question for you all. Just because I'm unsure of the answer and perhaps you can educate me. What company would you have chosen instead of Halliburton?
It would be nice to see a network of statewide contractors benefit from the federal money. It would keep the money flowing in the local economy and it would help people get on their feet faster. If we give our dollars to a multinational corporation, those dollars are gone. They are out of circulation...this is known as the Wal-mart effect.

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question. I asked who, specifically. I'm sure your myriad of left-wing talking points can provide you with an answer.