Guns make people overconfident.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed.

Agreed.

But does this mean we should play along and just respond with more powerful weapons? Is that leading to a good development aside from power balance?
It’s not a question of more powerful weapons. It’s a question of deterrence and adaptability. Sometimes, one guy with a bolt-action rifle, is all it takes to prevent genocide (that actually happened).

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need to vent about this because I've been noticing this mentality way too much. At least in the us there is a concerning amount of people who seem to believe that they are invincible the moment you put a gun in their hands or at the very least have a inflated sense of over-confidence.

Saying things like "Smith-wesson made men equal" no they didn't, not against people who actually know what they are doing. All it's done is given you a false sense of security.

Plus there the fact that bullet proof clothing is getting better and better as well as knowing how guns work and what their general weaknesses are.

This just feels like another case of people who want power but aren't willing to put any effort into doing so. You are not anybody's equal just because you have a gun, if someone really wants to hurt you and they know you got that, all that means is they they have to plan ahead.

It just seems short sighted and ignorant.
Like any martial art, firearms with good training and lots of practice just gives a person a chance. No guarantees. It sounds like you are complaining about a mindset, and I have to agree with you that such a mindset is potentially dangerous. These are the same folks that will muzzle you at the 200 yd. rifle range with a rifle has no sights or optics.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
True predators at their core are cowards and generally won't go after anybody they think will fight back. Still I feel that just adds to the overconfidence problem, as you'll go around thinking you're hotter stuff then you really are.
No no I’m actually MUCH hotter stuff than YOU think I am…;)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guns honestly throw the entire balance out of whack. Guns are intimidating at first being a portable boomstick that can instantly end people with the pull of a trigger and if you dont know it's strengths and weaknesses you're gonna lock up and have no idea what to do.
You don’t shoot much eh?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah.

I think what is going to happen is technology is going to favor the AR. And the technology is going to be important.

Eg. Smart scopes. Which are being used to counter drones.

The Australian army is starting to look at the 300 blackout. I assume for its ability to be suppressed. And looking at the sig I think. Just because it is easier to do that to ARs than it is to steyers
AR is set to be replaced soon. 5.56 will be eventually as well by the 6.0 ARC cartridge.

gyoja

2nd Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought 6.0 ARC was it…? I’m already confused.
It’s the new Sig Sauer round , the .277 Fury/ 6.8x51. I don’t know who Sig paid off, but they got the contract for the new pistol, assault rifle, squad automatic rifle, and the ammunition.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s the new Sig Sauer round , the .277 Fury/ 6.8x51. I don’t know who Sig paid off, but they got the contract for the new pistol, assault rifle, squad automatic rifle, and the ammunition.
Wow I’m late. I had heard the 6.0 ARC was the new cartridge. I’m not a big sig fan. Just in general. The old 226 was nice. Check out the Blackout defense DTL rifle. In particular the review from tactical toolbox was pretty impressive. A better mousetrap.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The years I spent as a cop, hanging around other cops and having cops as friends had a major effect on my ideas of threat analysis and self defense. Any martial artist regardless of skill is still the underdog against a knife attack. I always have a knife(s) and a cane with me outside the house, but I'm under no illusion I could prevail in such situations.

A concealed firearm is the best weapon for defense normally available to the average civilian. One should never under any circumstances allow those around him to discover he's "packin' heat". There are those who would then push the carrier just to see what it would take to make him pull the pistol. Anyone who carries needs to know they'll likely have to take abuse in this situation, up to and including a fist. Since a firearm should never be drawn unless it is to be fired or the decision to be ready to fire it already made, it is vital that life or severe injury be at stake. Otherwise prosecution/jail time awaits. Being so armed is like being presented with the "nuclear option". What would it take to turn (words/threats) into life or death.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I so hate guns. But one thing an old Range Master taught me when I was a young cop..

“Remember, everywhere you go on duty, there will be at least one firearm present.”

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since a firearm should never be drawn unless it is to be fired or the decision to be ready to fire it already made, it is vital that life or severe injury be at stake.
I agree 100% with the part that I underlined.

However, the part before that should be discussed. I can't speak for all states, but in mine, brandishing a weapon is a misdemeanor.

When you draw your weapon, you're rolling the dice whether you pull the trigger or not. But the stakes are higher when the trigger is pulled.

As I mentioned before, some states allow for defensive display, however, the wording of those laws tend to be pretty complicated and best left to a lawyer for interpretation.

If your state does not allow for it, then you've got two options: if simply drawing the weapon stops the attack and you do not pull the trigger, you risk a misdemeanor charge (at least in my state). If you do pull the trigger, you now risk a manslaughter charge.

I'm not sure what the odds are that you'd get a police report filed on you in the case of defensive display (if illegal). I find it hard to believe that a criminal would tell a 911 operator that he was forced to back off at gunpoint when he tried to extract valuables from your person.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I need to vent about this because I've been noticing this mentality way too much. At least in the us there is a concerning amount of people who seem to believe that they are invincible the moment you put a gun in their hands or at the very least have a inflated sense of over-confidence.

Saying things like "Smith-wesson made men equal" no they didn't, not against people who actually know what they are doing. All it's done is given you a false sense of security.

Plus there the fact that bullet proof clothing is getting better and better as well as knowing how guns work and what their general weaknesses are.

This just feels like another case of people who want power but aren't willing to put any effort into doing so. You are not anybody's equal just because you have a gun, if someone really wants to hurt you and they know you got that, all that means is they they have to plan ahead.

It just seems short sighted and ignorant.
There are those people who can handle firearms responsibly. I believe they're the exception rather than the rule.

I own guns. Been around them all my life. Carried long guns and pistols as part of my job. I'm a collector. Love guns.

I do not choose to arm myself outside my home. The reason is that I don't need to.

OP
M

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The years I spent as a cop, hanging around other cops and having cops as friends had a major effect on my ideas of threat analysis and self defense. Any martial artist regardless of skill is still the underdog against a knife attack. I always have a knife(s) and a cane with me outside the house, but I'm under no illusion I could prevail in such situations.

A concealed firearm is the best weapon for defense normally available to the average civilian. One should never under any circumstances allow those around him to discover he's "packin' heat". There are those who would then push the carrier just to see what it would take to make him pull the pistol. Anyone who carries needs to know they'll likely have to take abuse in this situation, up to and including a fist. Since a firearm should never be drawn unless it is to be fired or the decision to be ready to fire it already made, it is vital that life or severe injury be at stake. Otherwise prosecution/jail time awaits. Being so armed is like being presented with the "nuclear option". What would it take to turn (words/threats) into life or death.
It's kinda why open carry isn't all it's cracked up to be

Latest Discussions