Guns in foreign lands...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, are there strong movements in say Britain or Canada, Australia or Japan for private citizens to carry firearms for self-defense? In the States we have a very active National Rifle association that fights battles in the various states for that right, is there a similar organization in these exotic and foreign lands?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In a word, no.

We have regulations that work. Canadians in general are not at all comfortable with the idea of people walking around with guns.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Guns have been a part of US culture for over two centuries, not so much up here. You folks fought for your freedom from the UK, we legislated ours.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not difficult to buy a “gun” up here. Take the course, fill in the paperwork and you can buy anything short of an assault rifle.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing in Japan. People are taught early on that any and all weapons are bad. You can`t even carry a pocket knife here unless you`re camping.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[

I was going to say with all the big game in canada im sure most people own guns of some sort.
Guns have been a part of US culture for over two centuries, not so much up here. You folks fought for your freedom from the UK, we legislated ours.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not difficult to buy a “gun” up here. Take the course, fill in the paperwork and you can buy anything short of an assault rifle.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago when I was a missionary I met a guy who had retired from the keisatsucho`s bodyguard division. (roughly equvillent to the US Secret Service) He wasn`t allowed to keep his pistol because there`e no civillian handgun ownership period. If he lived in a rural area with a bear population, he could have applied for a license to buy a shotgun.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Until the change the law and confiscate your weapons, which are registered.

http://christopherburg.com/2010/12/21/canadian-gun-confiscation/

I agree, though. Only the US has had a long history of individual gun ownership from the earliest times to today.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[

I was going to say with all the big game in canada im sure most people own guns of some sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Canada

It has been estimated that as many as five million gun-owning Canadians have not registered their firearms. As of June 2003, only 6.4 million firearms had been registered, despite a 1974 estimate of ten million guns in Canada. In February 2003, the government announced plans to strengthen the administration of the gun control program. Two days before the election in May 2004, the government dropped all fees for transferring firearms.

Canada has roughly 34 million people. Perhaps 10 million guns.

The US has roughly 307 million people. FBI estimates 200 million guns.

So we have roughly twice as many guns per capita as Canadians under at least one form of estimate.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well i would guess the US per capita is near the top of the list ongun ownership. We were formed by the gun and have a protected right to own them

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Years ago when I was a missionary I met a guy who had retired from the keisatsucho`s bodyguard division. (roughly equvillent to the US Secret Service) He wasn`t allowed to keep his pistol because there`e no civillian handgun ownership period. If he lived in a rural area with a bear population, he could have applied for a license to buy a shotgun.

A shotgun on a bear? Would make him mad I suppose...

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The whole firearms registry in Canada was an attempt to have people register long guns. Handguns are already registered.

Latest Discussions