Greatest sports coaches

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to know who you think are the greatest sports coaches in whatever sports you like here is my list
NCAA Basketball: Bobby Knight, while his records are not as impressive as some others he never really had a whole lot of talent to work with and always competes
NBA: Phil Jackson, he changes teams from contenders to champions
NFL: Marvin Lewis, I am a Cincinatti area boy, and what he has done since he has been here has been awe inspiring. Changing a team that hasn't made the playoffs is 15 years to a playoff team has been woderful for the area.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dan Gable, hands down. Division I Wrestling Coach. Coached Iowa to 9 straight NCAA titles (1978-86) and 15 overall in 21 years.

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jim Steen

He has coached Kenyon College to 24 straight Division III NCAA Men's swimming championships and the womans team to 20 NCAA championships in those 24 years.

Remakable

Jeff

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
College Football: Joe Paterno (too bad if you don't like it, I'm from PA) & Eddie Robinson

Pro Football: Lombardi & Halas

College Basketball: 1. John Wooden, 2. Mike Krzyzewski, 3. Fog Allen

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
NBA: Phil Jackson, he changes teams from contenders to champions

I don't want to start a fight here, but I think it's more appropriate to say that Phil Jackson takes a superstar, surrounds them with hard-working role players and rides on their backs to championships. C'mon...do you really think he was the only one that would have won 6 titles with Jordan, and then in LA with O'Neill? I'd like to see him do it with the current Bulls.

Respects,

Frank

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Jim Steen

He has coached Kenyon College to 24 straight Division III NCAA Men's swimming championships and the womans team to 20 NCAA championships in those 24 years.

WOW!!! I had no idea. Thanks for sharing this.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I don't want to start a fight here, but I think it's more appropriate to say that Phil Jackson takes a superstar, surrounds them with hard-working role players and rides on their backs to championships. C'mon...do you really think he was the only one that would have won 6 titles with Jordan, and then in LA with O'Neill? I'd like to see him do it with the current Bulls.

Respects,

Frank
Where were they at before Phil Jackson niether of them had had even come close, unless you think getting to the finals and being swept (Oneal), and not getting there again until they he has Phil Jackson as a coach, like I said he takes teams from good into a champion threat

Latest Discussions