grappling elements in karate

• Thread starter angrywhitepajamas
  • Start date

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
NAIHANCHI SHODAN? , Shotokan people call it Tekki, and I'm sure that there are other names in other styles for it as well.

Haven't you ever wondered about the fact that it is only 2 dimensional? If you are on your back, and unable to get up, there are only 2 dimensions available to you. Same if you are on top of your opponent, and he is holding you down.

--Dave

:asian:

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The style I train in is a freestyle system. (not competition focused). I was lucky enough to be taught by someone who was also dan graded in Jui Jitsu and he incorporated this into the syllabus.
The traditional katas made so much more sense when more of the jui jitsu was used used as well as the karate. Sparring was also improved as the closer range gave more possibilities.
The two styles he was taught merged together almost seamlessly. We'll never be as good as a solid Jui Jitsu club who only practice in grappling but for an extension to karate I would recommend any karateka to include some form of grappling into their training.
Humility is a must, however. We have had guest instructors teach at the club and even their yellow belts could teach us a thing or two.:)

OP
C

chaosomega

Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
Every one in the MMA says its worthless. But the Horse stance is what you do when you have someone in the mount, side mount or even the guard. How about standing arm bar, legs are wide and you drop your body weigh to apply that lock.
Bob :asian:

I know a takedown called the "Horse Stance Slam"...

Latest Discussions