Grappling Check in

I do BJJ, mostly gi but some no-gi. We do occasional MMA and I have attended a Vale Tudo class there, but mostly it's just in the context of adding some strikes to the BJJ techniques. Since I study JKD and BJJ at the same school, I consider it to be inherently MMA!

We do as part of yudo - technique application as well.

I do BJJ (with gi) and sub wrestling without.

How many of you compete and give the stuff you are learning a real test? I find that you can really feel out how good your game is when you put it out on the mat against strangers in a high-adrenaline setting.

Eternal Beginner said:
How many of you compete and give the stuff you are learning a real test? I find that you can really feel out how good your game is when you put it out on the mat against strangers in a high-adrenaline setting.

I don't compete anymore. Too many broken bones.

However, I still grapple. We have tuite in our art and I also practice jujutsu.

I don't compete, I did some Judo tournaments when I was younger, but it just isn't what ineterests me now. I do know that it really helps improve one's game though!

I don't compete either. Never have, never will. No interest in competitions. I do agree it probably sharpens your game and could be a lot of fun but it just doesn't hold any interest for me. I train for fun, nothing else. :)

Lisa said:
I don't compete either. Never have, never will. No interest in competitions. I do agree it probably sharpens your game and could be a lot of fun but it just doesn't hold any interest for me. I train for fun, nothing else. :)

Definitely my main purpose for training is fun...let's face it, those of us over 35 aren't going to be winning the Mundials or ADCC. I also am not horribly concerned with the self-defense aspect. But I also like knowing that I am doing things properly and what I am learning can be pressure tested. I've never really been into purely "academic" pursuits. I quilt because there is a blanket at the end, I bake because you can eat it. I have never been into video games or puzzles because I never really got any fulfillment from the end results.

Each to his/her own.:)

Sub wrestling, BJJ gi & no gi, a little judo, shoot greco and free/folkstyle.
I don't compete, but have had some luck as a coach; 4 Tournaments and 4 medals.
2 gold
1 silver
1 bronze

Eternal Beginner said:
I find with good partners and new partners I can get a 'real test' just fine without competing. Competition is fine, but the rules are for just that - not, say, a real-life scenario.

I've seen people choke at competitions - get sick suddenly, pass out, have severe brain farts, so I don't put quite as much stock in competitions as others do.

shesulsa said:
I find with good partners and new partners I can get a 'real test' just fine without competing. Competition is fine, but the rules are for just that - not, say, a real-life scenario.

I've seen people choke at competitions - get sick suddenly, pass out, have severe brain farts, so I don't put quite as much stock in competitions as others do.

This is exactly why I do competitions. I used to be one of those people...every testing or competition I would freeze and be useless. Now, I know how to cope. It has done a world of good for me and when push has come to shove in the real world, I don't choke anymore.

Latest Discussions

Back