Grading in FMA

K

Kong

What are grading systems like in FMA? I realize this might vary greatly from different schools and organizations, but I`m wondering if there are any general guidelines within larger organizations/styles like Doce Pares or Modern Arnis?

OP
K

Kong

Thanks alot, very informative website! Do you perhaps know the usual duration of time spent on each rank, I might have overlooked it if it`s stated on the website.
:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kong

What are grading systems like in FMA? I realize this might vary greatly from different schools and organizations, but I`m wondering if there are any general guidelines within larger organizations/styles like Doce Pares or Modern Arnis?

From the limited time I've spent in the FMA (less than a year), for the most part, a high structured ranking system like the Japanese or Korean arts doesn't exist. As far as I know with the FCS system, you're either a student or instructor, and it seems to be that way with other systems as well.

I think one of the modern aspects of Modern Arnis is a structured ranking system.

Then again, I could be talkin' out my ear.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

I think one of the modern aspects of Modern Arnis is a structured ranking system.

Indeed, many FMAs don't have anything this structured. Some don't even certify instructors--one just trains; that's all.

As to Modern Arnis, a typical time to black belt varies from organization to organization, but for the WMAA (whose site I cited) a typical time is roughly six months per promotion for a total of 3.5-4 years to black belt. It goes without saying that this is very dependent upon indivdiual circumstances!

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From the limited time I've spent in the FMA (less than a year), for the most part, a high structured ranking system like the Japanese or Korean arts doesn't exist. As far as I know with the FCS system, you're either a student or instructor, and it seems to be that way with other systems as well.

That is what i've seen as well. In the system I train in there are no belts, only student or teacher. Although some systems I have seen do use some sort of color system. A Sifu here in town named Dan Medina, whom teaches Derobio. Uses different color shirts. And I know Tacosa Serrada Eskrima uses levels as does Nate Defensor (defensor method).
Respectfully The 14 style

OP
K

Kong

Some don't even certify instructors--one just trains; that's all.
This is pretty much my impression as well, the reason I`m asking is I`m considering joining a FMA school where I live, which is affiliated with Doce Pares and Wekaf, and one of the instructors is a 4th Dan, and I`m just trying to gain a perspective on how this applies to FMA as I have no previous experience with it.
Also the curriculum consists of a hybrid of several styles, including JKD, Penjak Silat (sp.) and western boxing among many others in addition to Eskrima, is this common in other FMA schools?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand that Doce Pares has something of a split going on right now; the Eskrima Digest mailing list has more info. on this. There are I believe two major organizations, headed by an uncle and his nephew respectively. It's a well-respected traditional style; some say it's an orginization more than a particular style.

As to the curriculum, some FMA were so weapons oriented that they have added empty-hand techniques from other systems; also many FMA have added elements of other arts in order to gain acceptance (this happens in the Philippines too).

In any event I think you will very likely be getting good FMA through a Doce Pares instructor.

Latest Discussions