got my yellow belt

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got my yellow belt! It was great. The hardest part was when he had us in the lowest horse stance we could do and we had to stay there for 20 minutes.Legs shake, etc. The rest was easy to me. Blocks, kicks, punches. 6 combination. My 8 year old is so proud of me but she reminded me that she's still higher in rank than me. Ha Ha.:cool:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Twenty minutes??????
10916912980.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very many congratulations Rachel! And congratulations to your legs too! :lol:

Dan

M

Mike

Great job! I hope to test for my yellow belt after the holidays. Can't wait!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me add my congradulations.
That is always one of the hardest tests because it is such an important step.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Rachel.. Great job~!

You'll be showing your 8 yo. whatfor soon eh..*G* We have a dad and son in our school and the son who's 5 got all bent when his dad got his yellow.. he said.. "Hey that's not your belt that's mine~" you never got any stripes Dad!" (we don't give stripes or tabs to adult students) They work out together at home so this is a good thing~!! And amazing how well children learn by helping teach their siblings or parent<s> ~!

You have a wonderful Holiday Season Rachel and keep up the great work~!

Tess

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by rachel
I got my yellow belt! It was great. The hardest part was when he had us in the lowest horse stance we could do and we had to stay there for 20 minutes.Legs shake, etc. The rest was easy to me. Blocks, kicks, punches. 6 combination. My 8 year old is so proud of me but she reminded me that she's still higher in rank than me. Ha Ha.:cool:

Let me say first, congragatulations on your new belt rank.

As a modern day kenpoists I think tests like those are antiquated and cruel. They are a torture test of servitude to the instructor and do the student no good whatsever. It only makes the instructor feel better when he has them jumping on his command. If you're happy with that, then be the subservient student, I certainly won't put up with test like that and have never made my students do it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Let me say first, congragatulations on your new belt rank.

As a modern day kenpoists I think tests like those are antiquated and cruel. They are a torture test of servitude to the instructor and do the student no good whatsever. It only makes the instructor feel better when he has them jumping on his command. If you're happy with that, then be the subservient student, I certainly won't put up with test like that and have never made my students do it.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Our kids class.. ages 5 to 13 sure have seemed to benefited from the 10 minute horse stances.. they have become disciplined and they know what a horse stance is~!!!
Speaking only for myself, I don't mind the 'jumping to orders' when I'm lined up.. makes me feel disciplined and focused.. not subservient.

Just my humble thoughts..

With Respect..

Tess

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Clyde and Tess, et al.
Before this degenerates any further, after all, this thread is about Rachel, let me step in and say......
You are both absolutely correct, with the information available. Now can we accurately surmise that Rachel stood in a horse stance for 20 minutes doing: A) Absolutely Nothing B.) Hand Drills or C.) Getting Screamed at? If the answer was A or C, Clyde is correct the guy is living in the past. If the answer is B, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I can put one of my kids into a horse to work on blocking set or whatever and at the end of the hour, his legs aren't nearly as tired as the rest of him. LEt me further state that while at times I may be a bit on the sadistic side, I NEVER scream at my students.

P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Seig
Clyde and Tess, et al.
Before this degenerates any further, after all, this thread is about Rachel, let me step in and say......
You are both absolutely correct, with the information available. Now can we accurately surmise that Rachel stood in a horse stance for 20 minutes doing: A) Absolutely Nothing B.) Hand Drills or C.) Getting Screamed at? If the answer was A or C, Clyde is correct the guy is living in the past. If the answer is B, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I can put one of my kids into a horse to work on blocking set or whatever and at the end of the hour, his legs aren't nearly as tired as the rest of him. LEt me further state that while at times I may be a bit on the sadistic side, I NEVER scream at my students.

20 minutes is a hell of a long time to stand in a horse stance, regardless if you're doing anything with your hands or not. After alot of the horror stories I've heard of tests recently, I pity the person that puts up with that type of militaristic attitude of their instructors. If that's what you like, go for it but personally I would like to see them bang techniques, forms, or sparring for that amount of time rather than an endurance test of their leg muscles. Our Black Belt test normally lasts about 2 hours, and it's all about seeing the testees perform what they've learned for the tested rank. I can't even picture myself sitting on the board for 4 hours watching them much less the stress they've been going thru for that amount of time, especially when I'm the dummy and sparring partner for alot of them. I love the feel of it when they bang hard and I know for a fact the instructors have been putting their all into training them. I've even been laid out for a test when an 12 year old testing for Brown kicked the living hell out of my package with Thrusting Salute, and I was actually happy that he learned to do it so well from his instructor, albeit in a substanstial amount of pain LOL. Grueling tests where the instructors discourage water intake and/or puking, and will actually fail you if you do either are not necessary or welcome in my world. Good luck to those where that is the norm.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Q

Quick Sand

Great job Rachael !!

:p I think that first belt is one of the most exciting.

Congrats!

Latest Discussions