Good Vibes

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to send my good vibes out to all my friends competing at AAU and or USAT events in Florida this week. Be sure to post your updates here to keep those of us that are not there in the loop with what is going on.

Last edited:
OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to Gorilla's daughter, Kym, who took 1st place at AAU Nationals. And congrats to Team-X's Olivia who took 3rd. Both are now on their way to Orlando for USAT.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son took 1st place at USAT Nationals. Close to 40 in his divison. 5 matches.

1st Match - 4 to 3
2nd Match - 12 to 0
3rd Match - 8 to 1
4th Match - 8 to 1
5th Match - 5 to 0

I will keep you posted regarding my daughter. She goes tomorrow.

We all have 1 other gold and 2 silvers so far regarding the small team we took.

Great job so far for Gorrila and his. Also congrats to Team-X so far so far, I am sure there are more to come.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My son took 1st place at USAT Nationals. Close to 40 in his divison. 5 matches.

1st Match - 4 to 3
2nd Match - 12 to 0
3rd Match - 8 to 1
4th Match - 8 to 1
5th Match - 5 to 0

I will keep you posted regarding my daughter. She goes tomorrow.

We all have 1 other gold and 2 silvers so far regarding the small team we took.

Great job so far for Gorrila and his. Also congrats to Team-X so far so far, I am sure there are more to come.
Update for today.

We added one more gold to the mix today, my daughter.

1st match 8 - 7
2nd match 5 - 1
3rd match 14 - 0
4th match 19 - 3

She did an awsome job. So proud of her. She got hit with a back spin kick to the temple and almost got K.O.'d in the first match but she got up and not only finished the match but won. She was down 7 - 2 at the time also. That was great.

So our totals for a team of 5 were:
3 Gold
2 Silver

Not bad at all.

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
WOW! CONGRATS ATC! Your DD and DS are Awesome! What a great comeback for you daughter in that first match! That is like a true life Movie script, you should be very proud :D

Also, I watched some of MangoMan's youtube clips. The girl in the vid's is phenominal!!! :D

Not sure what all these tournaments are you all are referring to (being new to TKD), but they sound awesome! Love hearing about kids doing great things! :D

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to both your kids ATC. Sounds like they did incredible.

Team X grabbed a sliver yesterday and we have 4 fighters out today in the 14-17 World Class Black Belt divisions trying to make Jr Team.

I am pretty sure "Pasadena Boy" is that cocky kid that was posting here a couple months ago til he was banned. I suspect you DID NOT see him there.

Thanks Fing for the complement on my daughter who is unfortunately following the goings on in Orlando via text messaging with all her friends and teammates that are there. We are now on our way to the Dr to get the results of her MRI she underwent on Monday.

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Fing for the complement on my daughter who is unfortunately following the goings on in Orlando via text messaging with all her friends and teammates that are there. We are now on our way to the Dr to get the results of her MRI she underwent on Monday.

Gosh thats too bad, I had no idea she was hurt... I hope the results turn out positive for her and she continues to battle with Heart & Fire :D

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mango.Man. Hope the news is only good news for Sam. Congrats to those that competed for Team-X also.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Team X got a bronze and a silver in yesterday's 14-17 World Class Black Belt matches.

Team-X's Deireanne Morales (2010 World Championship Team Member) won her first couple of fights, 16-6 and 16-0 before falling to 2010 World Championship Gold Medalist Cheyenne Lewis, who moved up a division this year, in the Semi-Finals. So Deireanne got bronze and Cheyenne went on to win gold, defeating Youth Olympic Team Member Jessie Bates in the finals.

Team X's Tatyana Vallejo captured silver just after midnight in one of the last fights of the long day. She had won her first few fights 4-0, 5-0, 8-1 before falling in the finals to Taylor Wilson (Peak) by a score of either 8-2 or 8-3 as I got conflicting reports. I tried to live blog Tatyana's finals match yesterday on the Team-X Facebook page with one of my reporters on the scene yelling into their cell phone on speaker. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56083165763&ref=mf That effort didn't work out as well as I had hoped but it was fun trying.

Our 2 other fighters yesterday both won their first matches, in overtime, but lost their 2nd matches and did not medal.

We have 4 fighters doing USA National Championships this year. Our 2 medalists above plus Cory King and Chelsea Barrios. So they will be in action tomorrow for that.

As for Sam's MRI, everything came back normal and the Dr said she needs to simply rest for a few months, undergo some physical therapy and work on strengthening the muscles around her joints. So her summer off from TKD continues and she will hopefully be back at it in time for this year's Jimmy Kim Invitational in Sept.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They just started with the guys. He has not fought yet. At least not that I have been told.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Final score 7-2. Congratulations to Deireanne Morales. 2010 US National Champion!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for Sam's MRI, everything came back normal and the Dr said she needs to simply rest for a few months, undergo some physical therapy and work on strengthening the muscles around her joints. So her summer off from TKD continues and she will hopefully be back at it in time for this year's Jimmy Kim Invitational in Sept.
Great news. Thanks for the update.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My son Charlie lost in the quarter finals of both the AAU and the USAT. He learned allot and is motivated to train even harder.

My daughter Kym had a little more success.

She won Gold in the Sr Black belt Division 18-32 Fin weight AAU.

She won a Bronze Medal in the 14-17 JR BB Division USAT JR Olympics
She lost a close fight to the girl who won gold (GIGI Gil) on a head shot with 5 seconds to go.

She lost a close 1 point decision in the SR Nationals in the quarterfinals. 1 point and 1 fight away from Qualifying for the Olympic Trials. She was very happy with what she accomplished and left believing that she is one of the top Fin weights in the country.

I am very proud of her. Not bad for a 16 year old girl.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those are some pretty good results Tal. Congrats to both Charlie and Kym. Gigi is a tough draw when she is focused and she seems to have been very focused for the past 2 years or so.

Curious what your thoughts were on how the events were run. I know Friday was a very long day/night. Did things seem to run OK at both events or were there major problems?

I am also curious about the new LaJust stuff. I have read a few reports that it was even more difficult to score than is has been prior to this latest version.

I read that there were lots of points for punches and more KOs in 14-17 than there have ever been due to changes in the game encouraging head kicks over body shots.

Care to give us your run down of things?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those are some pretty good results Tal. Congrats to both Charlie and Kym. Gigi is a tough draw when she is focused and she seems to have been very focused for the past 2 years or so.

Curious what your thoughts were on how the events were run. I know Friday was a very long day/night. Did things seem to run OK at both events or were there major problems?

I am also curious about the new LaJust stuff. I have read a few reports that it was even more difficult to score than is has been prior to this latest version.

I read that there were lots of points for punches and more KOs in 14-17 than there have ever been due to changes in the game encouraging head kicks over body shots.

Care to give us your run down of things?

Her call was 10 am...Her first fight was 9pm her final fight was around 11 pm...The lajust stuff is still not good...but it is equally bad for everyone...It was about the same as the old stuff...head shot scoring was inconsistent as well as punch scoring...it is all that you are used to...most matches are decided by head shots

Latest Discussions