Good Taiji instructors in Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Chinese Internal Arts : Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qi' started by Argus, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Argus

Argus Black Belt

Welp,

I cast my net a bit wider and searched for good Tai Chi and Xing Yi instructors in the Tokyo area, but it seems that finding a good teacher in these arts is even harder than finding a good Wing Chun teacher (which, I guess, should be expected, since WC is comparatively more common).

I've checked out all of the "low hanging fruit" (easily found with a google search) and haven't found anyone who I was particularly impressed by. The space seems to be filled with... less than reputable types.

So, I thought I'd ask here: does anyone know of good, reputable teachers of internal styles (Taichi and Xingyi, in particular) in the Tokyo area? There's got to be some lower profile people who are legit and practice in the park or something.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Can't help you there. I think there use to be a Chen Family person in Japan and there was a rather impressive Baguazhang guy in Japan, but I cannot remember his name and I cannot remember where in Japan either were. And if memory servers the Chen person was 19th, or possibly 18th generation which would mean in their 70s or older. If I find out if the Bagua guy is still there, and in Tokyo, I will let you know. He is Chinese.

Also there is Taikiken in Japan. That is pretty much the Japanese version of Yiquan/Dachengquan that I believe comes from Kenichi Sawai he learned Yiquan from Wang Xiangzhai, the founder of Yiquan. However I could not tell you where in Japan you might find a Taikiken school

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BrendanF

BrendanF Green Belt

I realise it's not what you've asked for, but have you considered Judo? The Kodokan and other great dojo are in Tokyo. Daitoryu's mainline hombu is in Tokyo - there is Hakkoryu and other lines of DR and other koryu jujutsu there also. I guess it seems odd to me to look for CMA in the heartland of JMA.

You might find Liang style Bagua somewhere in Tokyo. But more common I think is Wang Shu Jin's arts, via Sato Kinbei. And Taikiken, as mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Argus

Argus Black Belt

Thanks!

Bagua kind of seems like the polar opposite of Wing Chun, but maybe that's not a bad thing!

I also just looked up Yi Quan and Taikiken for the first time -- did not know about them. It seems that it's related to Xingyi Quan? But it seems more circular and taichi-ish. Very interesting art, at any rate! I'll definitely check it out.

Good point. I have been considering Japanese Martial Arts as well -- it's just that, as empty hand arts go, I tend to prefer CMA, which I already have some back ground in. The other consideration is that my wrist tendons are not in great shape. I did Aikido for two years but had to stop because the locks were just too much strain on my wrists. Aikido is, of course, really heavy on the wrist locks, so I don't know -- maybe Judo or certain Koryu Jujutsu styles could be okay.

There's also weapon arts. There are a few Koryu weapon arts that I would love to learn.

5. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Wang Xiangzhai was a xingyiquan person before he invented Yiquan/Dachengquan

And Kenichi Sawai came from Kyokushin Karate123