Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lighten Up Francis!

Like tech-service people dont talk the same way about the stupid questions they have to deal with, or cashiers dont ***** about the way customers act.

Take a pill.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lighten Up Francis!

No, see... if it were a joke, in the comedy cafe, say, it would have been amusing. But it was posted as an example in a thread about police behavior. So I am holding it up as an example of, well, police behavior.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
For your reading pleasure

You should remember that the wild police officers are very unpredictable when in a normal state. Like any wild animal, the danger is doubled when you startle them.

If you mistakenly cross the path of police officers in the wild, you should immediately fall to the ground, cover your face and head, and curl into ball. You have to show the police officers you are not a threat. If you fail to follow this advice, the outcome could be tragic:

We all know how dangerous roving bands of rabid policeman can be. By reading this series you can greatly reduce the chances of being killed or seriously injured if you happen, or mishappen as the case may be, upon these dangerous, mindless creatures.

Apparently rabid police officers are overcome by a murderous rage if you happen to frolic in traffic. While we’re not sure how this uncontrollable anger has developed from an evolutionary standpoint, we are certain that playing in traffic is a surefire way to draw the ire of any roaming police officers in the area.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started my night job and had discussions about safety with some other folks here....a few folks told me to not pull over if an unmarked was trying to pull me over, and to first call 911 to confirm that what was behind me was the real deal.

I soon found out that.....when you have a full rack of beacons in your rear view...and its dark....you can't tell whether what is behind you is marked or unmarked. :D I've also learned that...the stretch of road that I've traveled is patrolled heavily by the real LEOs looking for drunks that have been in the taverns till closing time.

That being said, we do have some atypical unmarkeds here and in northern MA (SUV's, etc)

Archangel/JKS...what do you guys think about verifying with 911 if you have your suspicions about whose beacons are behind you?

Bare minimum: Slow down, put your flashers on, and by your driving make it clear that you see the lights and are responding. Pull over quickly; I'm NOT suggesting driving for more than a block or two as a general rule. Preferably, pull over right away. Again -- the cruiser may simply be trying to get by, not stop you.

If you're concerned, roll the window down enough to hear and pass your ID through, and keep the doors locked. Keep your hands where they can be seen, but ask the officer for his ID or even to get another officer on the scene. (I know of one case where a genius impersonator did call for backup... He got arrested.) If you call 911 -- read my earlier comment.

People should also familiarize themselves with their local LE vehicles and uniforms. That guy looked nothing like any local cop but people are blissfully unaware of finer details that they probably should be aware of.

Great point. In my area, we have county cops, town cops, and city cops along with state troopers and sheriff's deputies. All use at least some unmarked vehicles, and most have "cruisers" that aren't Crown Vics in their fleet. There are different uniforms for most of the forces, though several of the towns do use similar navy blue. I get so fed up with people complaining about "what that cop did", but they don't even have a clue what agency the cop worked for... and they're in the wrong place.

As Archangel said, knowing the common light schemes and uniforms can help you recognize real cops from the small number of impersonators out there. As Carol said, at night you probably won't see the markings -- but you'll be able to tell if they're red lights, blue lights, or some combination. If you have an idea what's "normal", you'll have an idea if something is wrong.

One more thought... if they stay behind you for more than a minute or two, I'd say the odds are good that they're real. I've never heard of an impersonator staying with someone who didn't stop pretty quick... I'm not saying it doesn' t happen -- but I think it's a good indicator. Sirens seem like another good indicator; very few impersonators seem to get a siren kit. It's a lot harder to add to a car than a visor light...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you dont pull over when the lights go on and decide to drive on for 3-5 more minutes while you verify with 911 you are not going to enjoy the results.

Really? So ... no matter what happens, you should just pull over and spread your *** for anybody with flashy lights without question, eh? Even when you're in the middle of nowhere? In the middle of the night? Driving, say, your mother's vehicle 1,000 miles north from her sold residence to your warm, comfy home where she is staying while you transport the vehicle personally?

Is calling 911 to verify identity of a bona fide officer not EXACTLY WHAT POLICE DEPARTMENTS TELL YOU TO DO??? Um ... yes.

Lighten Up Francis!

Like tech-service people dont talk the same way about the stupid questions they have to deal with, or cashiers dont ***** about the way customers act.

Take a pill.

So ... let's assume you're an LEO. Tell me how this is going to encourage the general populous who have become disenchanted with law enforcement to regain respect and cooperation with The Law? What you did here is like minority gangs robbing, killing, selling drugs because they want to get back at THE MAN for keeping them down by calling them criminals. One simply has to conclude that some LEOs don't give a flying **** about what the public thinks and are in law enforcement for the wrong reasons. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Bare minimum: Slow down, put your flashers on, and by your driving make it clear that you see the lights and are responding. Pull over quickly; I'm NOT suggesting driving for more than a block or two as a general rule. Preferably, pull over right away. Again -- the cruiser may simply be trying to get by, not stop you.

If you're concerned, roll the window down enough to hear and pass your ID through, and keep the doors locked. Keep your hands where they can be seen, but ask the officer for his ID or even to get another officer on the scene. (I know of one case where a genius impersonator did call for backup... He got arrested.) If you call 911 -- read my earlier comment.

Now THIS is some sound advice - exactly what I have given to driving-age persons in self-defense classes I've taught. And I stand by it 100%. And it's even more encouraging to read such a calm, concerned response from an LEO. Thank you.

Great point. In my area, we have county cops, town cops, and city cops along with state troopers and sheriff's deputies. All use at least some unmarked vehicles, and most have "cruisers" that aren't Crown Vics in their fleet. There are different uniforms for most of the forces, though several of the towns do use similar navy blue. I get so fed up with people complaining about "what that cop did", but they don't even have a clue what agency the cop worked for... and they're in the wrong place.

As Archangel said, knowing the common light schemes and uniforms can help you recognize real cops from the small number of impersonators out there. As Carol said, at night you probably won't see the markings -- but you'll be able to tell if they're red lights, blue lights, or some combination. If you have an idea what's "normal", you'll have an idea if something is wrong.

Agreed - however there are some missing uniforms and shields out there the general public doesn't know about. Better to be safe and respectful than defiant and disrespectful - and that goes for both sides of the baton. ;)

One more thought... if they stay behind you for more than a minute or two, I'd say the odds are good that they're real. I've never heard of an impersonator staying with someone who didn't stop pretty quick... I'm not saying it doesn' t happen -- but I think it's a good indicator. Sirens seem like another good indicator; very few impersonators seem to get a siren kit. It's a lot harder to add to a car than a visor light...

It's more common in long stretches of highway where there's little to no traffic - like I5 in the agricultural areas at 2am.

OP
K

KP.

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard reference (haven't verified) to a story about some civilian using a unmarked car with the "cop lights" and a "Party City" uniform to pull over women, and assault them.

Home invasion robbery and assault by two police impersonators. Googling reveals a number of such incidents, some which ended in the deaths of the victims or even the impersonators. Terrifying stuff. The prime rule of being a victim and defending yourself in these circumstances: don't be wrong.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? So ... no matter what happens, you should just pull over and spread your *** for anybody with flashy lights without question, eh? Even when you're in the middle of nowhere? In the middle of the night? Driving, say, your mother's vehicle 1,000 miles north from her sold residence to your warm, comfy home where she is staying while you transport the vehicle personally?

Is calling 911 to verify identity of a bona fide officer not EXACTLY WHAT POLICE DEPARTMENTS TELL YOU TO DO??? Um ... yes.

Uhhmmm...what did I say that was any different from JKS? He said..

Pull over quickly; I'm NOT suggesting driving for more than a block or two as a general rule. Preferably, pull over right away. Again -- the cruiser may simply be trying to get by, not stop you.

I said:

If you dont pull over when the lights go on and decide to drive on for 3-5 more minutes while you verify with 911 you are not going to enjoy the results.

Take one of those pills too why dont ya?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
So ... let's assume you're an LEO. Tell me how this is going to encourage the general populous who have become disenchanted with law enforcement to regain respect and cooperation with The Law? What you did here is like minority gangs robbing, killing, selling drugs because they want to get back at THE MAN for keeping them down by calling them criminals. One simply has to conclude that some LEOs don't give a flying **** about what the public thinks and are in law enforcement for the wrong reasons. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Right..Im a "bad cop" or supporting "bad cops" because I found some humor in that. Whatever.

You know what they say about opinions.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right..Im a "bad cop" or supporting "bad cops" because I found some humor in that. Whatever.

You know what they say about opinions.

I didn't call you a bad cop. Nor did I tell you to take a pill nor otherwise personally attack you. But I find your tactics ... interesting and telling.

My point - and I find it absolutely incredible yet demonstrative that you can't seem to get it - is that the more a person swaggers with bad attitude, the worse the attitude becomes. And what does a person usually buy with bad attitude and authority?

I'm sincerely curious how exactly you feel you're going to help bridge the gap between the law-abiding yet enforcement-loathing public and officers who want to serve?

Tell me. Can you tell me without insulting or personally attacking me?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

On the flip side, the Chris Rock video, "How To Not Get Your *** Kicked By The Police" gives the impression that if you do any of the things he suggests, that you will definately get your *** kicked. I highly doubt a cop is going to pull you from your car and beat the **** out of you because your radio is blasting.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't call you a bad cop. Nor did I tell you to take a pill nor otherwise personally attack you. But I find your tactics ... interesting and telling.

My point - and I find it absolutely incredible yet demonstrative that you can't seem to get it - is that the more a person swaggers with bad attitude, the worse the attitude becomes. And what does a person usually buy with bad attitude and authority?

I'm sincerely curious how exactly you feel you're going to help bridge the gap between the law-abiding yet enforcement-loathing public and officers who want to serve?

Tell me. Can you tell me without insulting or personally attacking me?

I do my JOB. I do it within the limits of the law, I dont do anything "to" people unless they require it and I am pretty good at it if I do say so myself. Thats how I "bridge the gap".

What I find humor in is no more "telling" about me and my attitude towads the public than your taking offense at it is "telling" about your opinion towards cops.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the flip side, the Chris Rock video, "How To Not Get Your *** Kicked By The Police" gives the impression that if you do any of the things he suggests, that you will definately get your *** kicked. I highly doubt a cop is going to pull you from your car and beat the **** out of you because your radio is blasting.

Good point. If it was a cop who made that video Im guessing that it wouldnt be recieved with the same humor. *roll eyes*

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That case has been extensively reported.

Apparently, the officers (including supervisors) at the scene saw no evidence of impairment. Could they have done sobriety tests of some sort? Sure. It certainly wouldn't have hurt -- but it wouldn't be routine, either. If there's nothing making you think the driver is drunk, most cops won't test them.

Because of the way the laws are written, there is nothing but the relatively minor traffic charges available -- and the officer was charged.

And this happens in plenty of cases that don't involve cops... There's a big hole in the traffic code in a lot of states.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do my JOB. I do it within the limits of the law, I dont do anything "to" people unless they require it and I am pretty good at it if I do say so myself. Thats how I "bridge the gap".

What I find humor in is no more "telling" about me and my attitude towads the public than your taking offense at it is "telling" about your opinion towards cops.

Hm. And what do you think my opinion towards cops is? Do you think I have one attitude and one only about cops in general? Point me to exactly where I personally attacked or insulted an LEO on this board. Anywhere.

And as far as you doing things "to" people ... I wouldn't know about that, but your verbal willingness to shoot rioting prisoners just because they're rioting ... let's see, what were the words you used? *scrolls back* Oh that's right ... I'm "not going to enjoy the results."

I'm done with this thread. Except for a couple of voices, it's just too damn discouraging.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hm. And what do you think my opinion towards cops is? Do you think I have one attitude and one only about cops in general? Point me to exactly where I personally attacked or insulted an LEO on this board. Anywhere.

And as far as you doing things "to" people ... I wouldn't know about that, but your verbal willingness to shoot rioting prisoners just because they're rioting ... let's see, what were the words you used? *scrolls back* Oh that's right ... I'm "not going to enjoy the results."

I'm done with this thread. Except for a couple of voices, it's just too damn discouraging.

I stopped a while ago for many reasons:

1) If I continued I would be aruing with people here who might be doing their job well but refuse to acknowledge that there are losers in all positions.
2) People who make snide comments like "I have a friend who is Black" after I state I have police who are friends. This thread is about police, I was giving a dat point. If the thread was about ethnicity I owuld give data points about ethnicity. I really did not want to rise to that troll bait, but as you can see I remember it.
3) If I continue to try to make a point I look like I am crazy and out to get all the police, inviting the police to be more brutal in the future with me as there is now evidence or my disregard for them. (* which is not true *)
4) Even the best police I know all have bad days, the problem is that we pay so much for doctors when they mess up we take them to court for money as this seems to be the way to make them listen. For police we file charges if possible and see if we can get their attention that way. But that can make one look bad as if they are out to get the machine or the system, when in actuality I am just trying to have an open discussion.
5) And many more that I do not wish to bring up at the moment.

Peace

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmmm..either I was unclear or you misread. I stated that what I find humorous says nothing about how I do my job. And that your attitude towards me says nothing about you attitude towards cops.

Perhaps your ire is blinding you.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions