Go Belts and Other Gi Items

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think asking what's acceptable at your club would be much better asked to your instructor than a bunch of strangers.

I explained why I didn't. See post #33.

Also don't ask for opinions if you can't take the answers.

I can take them. But I can dish them too. Can you all do the same?

I havent seen anything wrong with anyone's said to you

If you think the same way they do, I can see why you would say this.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I explained why I didn't. See post #33.

I can take them. But I can dish them too. Can you all do the same?

If you think the same way they do, I can see why you would say this.
Yeah but your reason made 0 sense. It's an instructors job to tell you what you can and can't do when your new so just ask him.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but your reason made 0 sense. It's an instructors job to tell you what you can and can't do when your new so just ask him.

I addressed that in the OP. Remember? I said that even if it was allowed, would I be "that guy?"

If so, there would be no point in asking the instructor whether or not it's allowed.

Pay attention, people!

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a 7th Dan MDK, 5th Dan Kukkiwon, 1st Dan Kali, two Masters degree and a P.E.

Wait a second! So... all this time, I've been going back and forth in a karate thread with someone who has never had anything to do with karate?

That ends immediately. Unless it pertains to the martial arts that you yourself have practiced, I have zero interest in anything you have to say, as it holds zero weight with me.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait a second! So... all this time, I've been going back and forth in a karate thread with someone who has never had anything to do with karate?

That ends immediately. Unless it pertains to the martial arts that you yourself have practiced, I have zero interest in anything you have to say, as it holds zero weight with me.
My Shotakan karate and Kung Fu experience aside, which I did not mention, please explain how/why that has any bearing on answering your question?

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Shotakan karate and Kung Fu experience aside, which I did not mention, please explain how/why that has any bearing on answering your question?

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think everybody should take a deep breath and chill. Chillin' be good for you.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow very mature sure you want to end this conversation. No issues here

Certainly more mature than trying to continue a conversation with someone who has explicitly stated that they no longer wish to, no?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I was determined to do it (you seem think I am), I wouldn't have asked anyone here first. I don't think asking about it means that I've been passed back-and-forth between a priest and a scout leader as a child or otherwise need my head examined. Hell, I didn't even know these things existed until I looked for higher quality gis than the "free" one I was given. I merely saw them, then inquired about it here.

Yeah, about whether or not one would be "that guy" if they showed up with an embroidered kyu belt.

I didn't expect insinuations that I needed to be put into a straight-jacket and locked into a padded cell over it.

That being said... I'm only dishing what I'm taking.

I'm confused how you took "Looking at it from a higher level, I wonder if the need or desire to put a label/tag on yourself after only 2 weeks into a journey that can and should last a lifetime (at the very least years)is indicative of some other underlying issues. It sounds a bit compulsive and preening" to mean either that you were sexually molested, or need to be in a straight-jacket/padded cell.

I also don't know where in "well you perhaps need to think a little about perspective, this is a ma forum populated by people who dedicate there lives there lives to achieving physical perfection through ma. it's likely they regard someone with two weeks exspeiance who comes on asking about embroidery rather than physical improvement as rather shallow and perhaps focusing on the wrong thing." you got anything about forum members liking to eat their children.

Pretty sure you're making some leaps of logic and getting offended by things that were not meant to be offensive.

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm confused how you took "Looking at it from a higher level, I wonder if the need or desire to put a label/tag on yourself after only 2 weeks into a journey that can and should last a lifetime (at the very least years)is indicative of some other underlying issues. It sounds a bit compulsive and preening" to mean either that you were sexually molested, or need to be in a straight-jacket/padded cell.

I also don't know where in "well you perhaps need to think a little about perspective, this is a ma forum populated by people who dedicate there lives there lives to achieving physical perfection through ma. it's likely they regard someone with two weeks exspeiance who comes on asking about embroidery rather than physical improvement as rather shallow and perhaps focusing on the wrong thing." you got anything about forum members liking to eat their children.

Pretty sure you're making some leaps of logic and getting offended by things that were not meant to be offensive.

*Sigh*

Looks like my time at MA is about to come to and end, seeing as how someone with moderator powers has decided to hand me the rope to hang myself with.

But nevertheless...

That conversation with dvcochran is over. I made it clear to him that I have no interest in anything he says, and now it looks like you're taking up the mantle and trying to continue that conversation that I don't want to have on his behalf.

You want to psychoanalyze me because I asked a question about goddamned belt? You have issues.

Now go ahead and use your moderator powers and do what you're going to do. It's not as if I've had much of a positive experience here in the first place.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
*Sigh*

Looks like my time at MA is about to come to and end, seeing as how someone with moderator powers has decided to hand me the rope to hang myself with.

But nevertheless...

That conversation with dvcochran is over. I made it clear to him that I have no interest in anything he says, and now it looks like you're taking up the mantle and trying to continue that conversation that I don't want to have on his behalf.

You want to psychoanalyze me because I asked a question about goddamned belt? You have issues.

Now go ahead and use your moderator powers and do what you're going to do. It's not as if I've had much of a positive experience here in the first place.
This is how your time in this forum has gone, you asked for advice and opinions, you were given advice and opinions then you whined about those opinions . Now you're talking trash to people who have tried to help you

OP
Rusty B

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is how your time in this forum has gone, you asked for advice and opinions, you were given advice and opinions then you whined about those opinions . Now you're talking trash to people who have tried to help you

LOL, if I'm "whining," then you all are. Once again, I'm dishing exactly what I'm taking. Whatever you want to call it, put the shoes on both feet.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
*Sigh*

But nevertheless...

I literally did no psychoanalysis whatsoever. Just pointed out that you're making huge leaps and weren't told anything offensive.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite and respectful.

jks9199
MT Administrator

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Just want to clarify some things:

There is no "obsession;" the reason I found these things online is because when I was signing up - and before I was issued my gi - I inquired about purchasing a second one, as the number of times I intend to attend classes per week is too much for one gi (i.e., five times a week, as my personal schedule permits).

However, when I was issued my gi, it was of noticeably lower quality than what hanshi was wearing. So I decided to search online for something better... and I decided to hold off and deal with the inconvenience of washing my one gi five times per week, as I was unable to justify to myself the cost of buying two higher quality gis every time I go down a size (currently 8, when I should be a 5 or 6 at my height - 5'11.5" to be exact).

But that's when noticed the belts, and decided to ask here.

BTW, I like looking sharp because I like looking sharp. Not in hopes of currying favor with anyone. I only care about how I'm perceived if it will negatively affect my interactions with others. Hence why I asked the question here, instead of jumping right on it.

As for the two weeks... it's not that simple. I signed up for six months to take advantage of the discount, so I see no harm in looking out at least that far.
Good questions. It can be tough to figure out the etiquette when you get started at a new place (especially if you're "new" in general). Never hurts to ask, and if the questions rub some folks the wrong way....well, better a group of doofuses (myself included) on some internet forum than the doofuses you train with. :D

I'll just reiterate what others have said: don't worry about the belt. Use what you're given, and maybe consider something special when you get BB (some places actually require something special at that point). Until then, no belt you use is likely to get anywhere near wearing out.

For the gi, use the cheap ones at first. Make sure you're going to stick with it (you can't really know until you've been there a while) and the cheap ones will likely last at least a year or two. This is especially true since you're planning to lose weight. For now, get the size that fits most comfortably - don't go "snug" under any circumstances. You'll be surprised how long you can stick with that same gi, even as you lose weight. You're likely going to take up the sleeves long before you decide it's too loose and you need a smaller size.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

When I am being a duche bag on line I wil at least take ownership of it.

Probably a MMA thing.