Giri (Short Film)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this short film recently staring local heroes, Terry O’ Neill (7th Dan Shotokan) and Terry Ezra (7th Dan Komyokan Aikido). I really enjoyed it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought I would like it, but I don't. Nicely produced and reasonably well acted, but yeah, no.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terry O’ Neill
C2C5F47B-D6F0-4D7A-B126-6C99100C084B.jpeg
AF7CA53B-DB8F-41EC-97B6-723D4442260C.jpeg
593B9A5D-FBB3-436D-8ADA-10F3430B9B0E.jpeg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any movie that promotes self-killing is bad movie by my definition. Old saying said, "Bad living is still better than good death". An old and sick person tries to live by medicine while a young and healthy person kills himself. It makes no logical sense to me at all.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
Suicide is the leading cause of death in men under 50

In my direct experience martial arts can be a great way to help bring people out of having suicidal thoughts
This film which features famous and respected martial artists has the potential to tip someone having suicidal thoughts to a state where they die by suicide

Giri means taking responsibilities like this seriously

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Suicide is the leading cause of death in men under 50

In my direct experience martial arts can be a great way to help bring people out of having suicidal thoughts
This film which features famous and respected martial artists has the potential to tip someone having suicidal thoughts to a state where they die by suicide

Giri means taking responsibilities like this seriously
That is arguably incorrect. The line changes in the mid-50's and shows up as a spike when you chart the numbers. Heart disease and unintentional injury blow suicide out of the water numerically.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is arguably incorrect. The line changes in the mid-50's and shows up as a spike when you chart the numbers. Heart disease and unintentional injury blow suicide out of the water numerically.
It's still a lot of people and something folk should take seriously

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Those of you who think this is a cool video, what about it do you like? This is obviously a video that is trying to make a point. What do you think that point is?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This video proved what I already knew. England is a rainy, dismal place.

Oh, and that was murder. Terry O is going to prison for the rest of his life.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Dude. Petrichor is a delight. One of my favorite smells.

But yeah, murder. I'm curious what the UK's general stance is (legally and socially) on assisted suicide. I'm also really interested to hear from folks what the intended takeaway is supposed to be. It seems to be more of a cautionary tale than anything else.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When we discuss

- happy subjects, it makes us happy.
- sad subjects, it makes us sad.

Life is too short to spend time to discuss sad subject.

1. Inhale happiness, exhale sadness - make yourself happy.
2. Inhale happiness, exhale happiness - make yourself and people around you happy.
3. Inhale sadness, exhale happiness - even you are sad, you still make people around you happy.

3 may be hard to do, but at least we can do 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those of you who think this is a cool video, what about it do you like? This is obviously a video that is trying to make a point. What do you think that point is?
I liked it a lot.
I like the history of the Samurai. I have absolutely no problem with the glorification of Samurai Seppuku.

It was another time, another place, another culture and a different set of beliefs.
Has nothing to do with today.

And, yes, I understand the horror of suicide in today’s society. Victims of suicide are just that, victims.

As to the point, it has to do with the letter at the end. Regardless of legality and any organized religious push against anything different than what someone else believes,
I do give even half a damn.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
***EDIT***
My previous comments were related to the U.S., Not England.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He did actually play a character (Tarzan) in a prison drama called ‘The Governor’.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But yeah, murder. I'm curious what the UK's general stance is (legally and socially) on assisted suicide. I'm also really interested to hear from folks what the intended takeaway is supposed to be. It seems to be more of a cautionary tale than anything else.
The populace are generally in favour of assisted suicide for those suffering with terminal illness. The 23+ unelected bishops in the House of Lords scupper any legislation to do with it and anything of that kind of ilk.

‘Micah‘ has cancer, he will suffer terribly. He asks his student, ‘Ray’ to assist him in sparing him the indignity of this kind of death and instead to chose the time, place and manner of his death, in this case by seppuku. The opening scene with the conversation between ‘Kate’ and Ray on Crosby beach suggests Ray has had an internal struggle with Micah’s request but has decided that his sense of obligation and perhaps love toward his teacher outweighs the Western senses of social/moral/legal righteousness. Ray cuts his teacher’s head off. 😐

Last edited:
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was another time, another place, another culture and a different set of beliefs.
Has nothing to do with today.
Grisly detail following- you’ve been warned!

Something like three or four people a year still dispatch themselves by harakiri according to the excellent book ‘Seppuku’ by Andrew Rankin. It seems that death (or at least insentience) can be quite rapid and by hypovolaemic shock not due to bleeding (remember the descending aorta and ascending vena cava are virtually on the posterior wall of the abdomen by the vertebrae and very few thrust the blade into their abdomen more than a couple of centimetres) but from the loss of the abdominal contents which contribute internal pressure to the circulatory system.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He probably wouldn’t (not withstanding that this is a complete piece of fiction). There have been a few cases of assisted suicide in the U.K. and British subjects in Europe (most recently) over the years and they’ve generally been released from prison after several months of investigation.

Latest Discussions