Gi Length? Urgent please :D

Dragsa

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a quick question,

I'm trying to advise a complete novice (My fiancé!) on what size Gi to get.

Unfortunately I can't be there to advise her.

She seems to think the sleeves on her size Gi are far too long.

So I'd like to know where the cuffs on your Gi come to?

What should I tell her?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine comes right below the wrist and that is how I like them to be. Maybe about 1/2 inch.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could always suggest that she roll 'em up if they're too long. ;)

Mine drop just below the elbow so that my wrists and forearms are easily accessible to my nage. Most folks have them at the same length they'd normally wear a long sleeved shirt, though. Check with the instructor before altering the gi as some dojo have a dress code of sorts that will preclude wearing an elbow length sleeve.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine come to my wrist, but I've seen them come halfway between the elbow and wrist. I'm sure nothing will be said if she shows up to her first class and has to roll up her sleeves, she can always cut or sew them to the right length after seeing how the others in class wear theirs. Another option is to call the dojo and ask before she starts.

Traditionalist

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You could always suggest that she roll 'em up if they're too long. ;)

Mine drop just below the elbow so that my wrists and forearms are easily accessible to my nage. Most folks have them at the same length they'd normally wear a long sleeved shirt, though. Check with the instructor before altering the gi as some dojo have a dress code of sorts that will preclude wearing an elbow length sleeve.

I like mine at this length too. I even prefer my judo bottoms to hit just below my knees to mid shin, like knickers.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have several gis of different brands, it seems the sleeve length differs quite a bit. "Traditional cut" seems to have a bit shorter than more modern designs. Remember that a new gi will shrink quite a bit after washing so I would advice getting a size a few inches taller than you actually are.

Latest Discussions