Getting together for seminars?

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the regulars here ever get together to put on seminars. We have an incredible collection of skilled martial artists and I would imagine that some of us live in (somewhat) close proximity to each other. I don't know if there is an unwritten rule about breaking the wall that is "the internet forum" but I can imagine that we could put on a very informative and enjoyable martial arts seminar for someone's dojo, in addition to benefiting our own training. It's just a thought. I'm in Southern California. I've done seminars before where martial artists got together at someone's dojo as a fundraiser for the individual school, and one's where the fees were divided amongst the instructors to cover travel expenses. Once the travel expenses were covered, whatever was left over went to the individual dojo hosting. I don't know if I am breaking any forum rules by posting the idea (apologies in advance if I am.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Back in the days of the might Bob there use to be the occasional MT get together in Buffalo. I was never able to make it, and I am not sure who is still here that did, but from the group I knew who was going I do wish I had the time to have gone

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never able to make it,

I nearly made it one year but put the money I'd saved into an MMA show instead. It would have been really cool though to have flown in and met everyone.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to drive up to a couple hundred miles for such a get together (as a student, instructor, or both).

Anyone travelling through the Lexington, KY area is always welcome to drop in and work out.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's certainly no rule, written or unwritten, about getting together outside the forums.
I'd certainly be interested, if it were in a time and place that I could get to.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
im interested in that. i have been thinking about traveling and visiting some of you guys. my wife wants to see other parts of the country so .........;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to drive up to a couple hundred miles for such a get together (as a student, instructor, or both).

Anyone travelling through the Lexington, KY area is always welcome to drop in and work out.
Me, too. And if anyone makes it to the Asheville, NC area (or the upstate of SC), give me a holler.

I'll also toss in that I'm willing to do fund-raising seminars for schools if it helps - cover my expenses (travel, meals, etc.) and keep the rest to buy new equipment or something.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd love to get together with all you guys. [lunatics, all of you!]
Maybe we should all start saving up, you know, a few bucks here, a few bucks there.

And if you guys ever make it out to Maui, bring your gi pants and sunglasses. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get together with all you guys. [lunatics, all of you!]
Maybe we should all start saving up, you know, a few bucks here, a few bucks there.

And if you guys ever make it out to Maui, bring your gi pants and sunglasses. :)
You know, I used to always travel with my gi (not just the pants) and rarely made enough use of them. If there's something I want to do differently in this part of my life, that's probably it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owe more than one beer to folks on here - some to folks I bicker with and debate with on a regular basis in this forum, whose attempts to keep me honest are deeply appreciated. A MT gathering would be a chance to fulfill that debt.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I owe more than one beer to folks on here - some to folks I bicker with and debate with on a regular basis in this forum, whose attempts to keep me honest are deeply appreciated. A MT gathering would be a chance to fulfill that debt.

I have Rolling Rock and Bikini Blond in the fridge. Come to Maui, bro!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have done quite a few in the past. MartialTalk Meet and Greets in Buffalo, New York and also Southern MartialTalk Meet and Greets in Texas. Rich Parsons and I have done a number of seminars where people from MartialTalk attended. I would always be up for another Meet and Greet or anything where we can get together. Buka, Maui sounds perfect! ;)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll make you guys Eggplant Parm. Promise.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's certainly no rule, written or unwritten, about getting together outside the forums.
I'd certainly be interested, if it were in a time and place that I could get to.
Yeah just basic common sense about meeting online people so basically don't meet up with any of the creepy people on here lol.....well that limits the options an awful lot lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah just basic common sense about meeting online people so basically don't meet up with any of the creepy people on here lol.....well that limits the options an awful lot lol
Well, as one of the ENTIRELY uncreepy people in here, you can trust me. Really. Entirely. Trust.

Latest Discussions