Hmm, read and re-read the list... names not mentioned that I had come to mind

David Gilmore (Pink Floyd)
Joe Walsh (solo, Eagles)
Don Felder (Eagles)
Tom Scholz, Barry Goudreau (Boston)
George Harrison (solo, Beatles)
Brian Setzer (Stray Cats)
Miles Davis
Eddie Cochran (Summertime Blues...the song)
Edgar and Johnny Winter
Dave Edmunds
Mick Ralphs (Bad Company ...original group)
Robbie Krieger (The Doors)
Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ed King (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
Pete Willis, Steve Clark (Def Leppard)
Kerry Livgren, Rich Williams (Kansas)
Andre Segovia (Classic Guitarist)
Mason Williams (Classical Gas...the song)

This will have to save me multiple posts... but these I just couldn't let go by.

Grin
Ralph

Charlton Heston said: Guns don't kill people...APES with guns kill people.

L

LostGrrlDies

So, I guess women must really suck at playing guitar...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by LostGrrlDies
Interesting you should bring that up. Crissie Hynde was fretting about this issue on an interview I saw. Her point was that it isn't that a woman couldn't become as good as a man a guitar, it just that not many women will sit and do nothing but practice the guitar to the extent that say Jeff Beck did. The guy was either playing guitar in public or he was home sitting on his bed playing for hour after hour. A women may become a great concert pianist but chances are her family had her playing from the time she knew she had fingers. As for the guitar, young females are not made to learn it to the extent and in the numbers that they do with the piano. A solution could be to impress upon the public to force their young girl children to play guitar and stand over them for hours while the other children play reindeer games, but this is a cultural impossibility. I think young boys will see the guitar as a method to get what they want and ,with that belief, sink all of their free time into it. In conclusion, women could be just as great as any man but should probably start younger because that "sexual" motivation isn't a motivating factor. I could be wrong.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by LostGrrlDies

I've never been accused of being a sexist... soo here ya go...

Joan Jett (& The Black Hearts)
Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart)
Stevie Nicks (solo, Fleetwood Mac)
Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
Sarah McLachlan
Susanna Hoffs, Debbi Peterson (The Bangles)
Melissa Etheridge
Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin (The Go-Go's)
Alanis Morissette
Sheryl Crow
Joni Mitchell
Joan Baez
Kate Bush

I could go on I guess... It was not intentional to make (my) list all male ... just turned out that way... I bow if I had offended

asian:

wtg to Touch O' Death's Crissie Hynde of The Pretenders contribution...

Ralph:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MACaver
I've never been accused of being a sexist... soo here ya go...

Joan Jett (& The Black Hearts)
Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart)
Stevie Nicks (solo, Fleetwood Mac)
Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)
Sarah McLachlan
Susanna Hoffs, Debbi Peterson (The Bangles)
Melissa Etheridge
Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin (The Go-Go's)
Alanis Morissette
Sheryl Crow
Joni Mitchell
Joan Baez
Kate Bush

I could go on I guess... It was not intentional to make (my) list all male ... just turned out that way... I bow if I had offended

asian:

wtg to Touch O' Death's Crissie Hynde of The Pretenders contribution...

Ralph:
Wait a second, Kate Bush and Stevie nicks aren't Guitar Players!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nicks does play guitar... I've seen her pluck an acoustic at a concert in Dallas a long long time ago... same with Bush... the wording guitarist didn't specify that it had to be electric. Nor that it be their main instrument of choice... to me anyone who plays is therefore a guitarist.
While the two song birds don't normally perform with a guitar they do play the instrument. It depends upon the song.

BTW, thanks also for your claification that only a few women actually dedicate themselves to the level of guitar study that men do. In a way it's the same with Martial Arts that you will only find a few (women) who put in the dedication like men do. More power to them as it helps break the stereotype. If more women would study ma (and more men stop being **** holes to women) the world just might be a wee bit better.

Ralph

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MACaver
Hmm, read and re-read the list... names not mentioned that I had come to mind

David Gilmore (Pink Floyd)
Joe Walsh (solo, Eagles)
Don Felder (Eagles)
Tom Scholz, Barry Goudreau (Boston)
George Harrison (solo, Beatles)
Brian Setzer (Stray Cats)
Miles Davis
Eddie Cochran (Summertime Blues...the song)
Edgar and Johnny Winter
Dave Edmunds
Mick Ralphs (Bad Company ...original group)
Robbie Krieger (The Doors)
Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Ed King (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Keith Richards (Rolling Stones)
Pete Willis, Steve Clark (Def Leppard)
Kerry Livgren, Rich Williams (Kansas)
Andre Segovia (Classic Guitarist)
Mason Williams (Classical Gas...the song)

This will have to save me multiple posts... but these I just couldn't let go by.

Grin
Ralph

Charlton Heston said: Guns don't kill people...APES with guns kill people.

"Please only list one name per posting and don't post again until at least three other members have posted."

Tsk, tsk, NO BREAKING THE RULES

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You forgot the greatest woman guitarist of all time

Bonnie Raitt

By the way this is a list of the greatest guitarists. Anybody who sits on stage and stums a few chords may be a guitarist, but usually doesn't qualify to be included on a list of the GREATEST guitarists. I know this brings up the issue of what the criteria are for "greatest"; as stated in the first post the criteria is concenssus.

I personally would only pick out

Joan Jett
Nancy Wilson
Melissa Etheridge
Sheryl Crow
Joni Mitchell
Lita Ford (guilty pleasure)

I'd also add Tracy Chapman

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Christine McVie is a piano player.

How about Dickie Betts and the Allmond Bros?

F

FiveSwords

Charo is a classically-trained guitarist and is actually really talented. She played at the Aladdin the last time I was in Las Vegas.

K

KanoLives

Someone please help me with this one, I'm havin a friggin' brain fart.

The guitarist from the Police. Something Copeland isn't it? Not Stewart Copeland because that is the drummer his brother though played guitar in the Police. Or am I just having a serious brain fart.:confused: :confused:

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
Someone please help me with this one, I'm havin a friggin' brain fart.

The guitarist from the Police. Something Copeland isn't it? Not Stewart Copeland because that is the drummer his brother though played guitar in the Police. Or am I just having a serious brain fart.:confused: :confused:

Andy Summers is the guitarist from The Police. That band has always been a Trio. Sting-vocals, bass; Andy Summers-lead; Stewart Copeland-precussion.

BTW Stewart Copeland is a very well respected drummer that has played with many great artists along the way.

P

pknox

Originally posted by OULobo
BTW Stewart Copeland is a very well respected drummer that has played with many great artists along the way.

Very true. I have the self-titled album from Oysterhead - Copeland, Trey Anastasio from Phish, and Les Claypool from Primus. Pretty good stuff.

Wasn't Copeland touring with Manzarek and company with this new Doors thing? I think he's not with them anymore. Any idea what happened?

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
Very true. I have the self-titled album from Oysterhead - Copeland, Trey Anastasio from Phish, and Les Claypool from Primus. Pretty good stuff.

Wasn't Copeland touring with Manzarek and company with this new Doors thing? I think he's not with them anymore. Any idea what happened?

As usual differing attitudes and lots of money. Not to mention Ray Manzarek has a record setting ego.

K

KanoLives

Originally posted by OULobo
Andy Summers is the guitarist from The Police. That band has always been a Trio. Sting-vocals, bass; Andy Summers-lead; Stewart Copeland-precussion.

Thank you much sir. :asian: I kept saying to myself that it was Andy Copeland for some stupid reason. :confused: And being a drummer I think Stewart Copeland is a fantastic drummer. The Police rock. Thanks again for refreshing my dead brain. :asian:

Latest Discussions