What was your silly childhood fear?

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't remember if there was once a thread like this before or if it was on another forum.

So what was your silly childhood fear? :jaws:

I was terrified of The Big Bad Wolf when I was little. Even years later (although I was still pretty young), my family went to Disneyland and I would not go near The Big Bad Wolf for anything! For awhile I also had a fear that a giant Stegosaurus would step on my house. :rolleyes: :shrug: :eek:

Robyn :partyon:

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
was the Flying Monkeys from the Wizard of OZ. Every stinking year they would come back!! Nuff said.

Fearfully,
Bill Parsons

P

pknox

I remember that when I was a kid I use to always watch Batman (the cheezy one with Adam West) after school. Then one day, there was some episode where some villain (I don't remember who) is sending him down a conveyor belt into some oven or something to burn him alive. That scared the heck out of me, and I didn't watch Batman for quite a while. It took even longer before I was able to go near anything at all hot.

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pknox
I remember that when I was a kid I use to always watch Batman (the cheezy one with Adam West) after school. Then one day, there was some episode where some villain (I don't remember who) is sending him down a conveyor belt into some oven or something to burn him alive. That scared the heck out of me, and I didn't watch Batman for quite a while. It took even longer before I was able to go near anything at all hot.

I met Adam West several years ago at a Comic Book convention. I also have a really old behind the scenes/episode guide of the entire Batman cheesy series. The one that scared you when you were little was episode #3 Titled--Fine Feathered Finks; Villain--The Penguin. It says at the end of the summary "... Bruce is tied down to a conveyor belt, which in a few moments will send him on a fiery trip into the 12,000 degree furnace." In the next episode--"Bruce revives just in time to retrieve his cigarette lighter, filled with a lifetime supply of compressed butane gas, from his pocket and throw it into the furnace. The furnace explodes and Bruce is thrown free of the net holding him and makes his escape."

That’s a very understandable fear seeing something like that. Being burned alive is no joke. I never knew that show existed until I was older but all those almost death things would have given me nightmares if I saw it when I was little! When I was a teenager, I religiously watched Batman-The animated series cartoon and I still love it but I've had nightmares of the Joker more than once (just a year ago, in fact).

Robyn :asian:

P

pknox

Robyn:

Thanks! Very cool stuff. I loved the animated series too. You know, it's kind of funny - the animated series was more of a return to the "Dark Knight" persona, with all the requisite brooding and darkness that I love about the Batman character, and the schlocky live action series was about as far removed from the Dark Knight stuff as you can get, but some of the traps in the live action series were downright nasty! The animated series, while dark, is in some ways actually less violent.

The one good thing about that show scaring me was that because I stopped watching it, I never burned out on the character, and when I got older, I started reading the comic again. It was nice to see Batman become his nasty old self. :) To me, when he is at his most torn and maniacal is also when he is at his most interesting.

Now that I have kids of my own, I get an excuse to watch cartoons again!

K

KanoLives

My childhood fear was crapping my pants.....but then I did it and wasn't afraid anymore. :rofl: :rofl:

No, seriously I used to think that everyone and everything on this Earth was controlled by giants that we couldn't see or maybe didn't notice. Kinda like when you're a kid playing with action figures and toy cars...Ya know you're in control of them and so much bigger than the toys. Does that make sense?

P

pknox

Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
No, seriously I used to think that everyone and everything on this Earth was controlled by giants that we couldn't see or maybe didn't notice. Kinda like when you're a kid playing with action figures and toy cars...Ya know you're in control of them and so much bigger than the toys. Does that make sense?

Sure it does...entire ancient mythologies were based on that very concept.

P

pknox

Originally posted by Michael Billings
... you mean like in Men In Black II or at the end of MIB I? "Oh people of Locker 37".

-MB

That's it! Believe it or not, the "marble scene" was exactly what was going through my head as I wrote that. I just saw MIBI again the other day. You must have ESP (or is it ESPN ;) ).

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vampires! Blood suckin' soul stealin' Vampires. I remember having a dream at age 6 or 7 that scared the bejeebers out of me. When I woke up my subconcious was still going wide open, I SAW a freakin' vampire heading across the room at me. Of course I screamed at the top of my lungs, jumped out of the bed at charged for the door (which looked like it was open... really) and BAM I was flat on my back. I looked up and there was my dad in his boxers lookin' at me like I had lost my mind. They still enjoy telling that story at family reunions almost 30 years later.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was a kid eating hot dogs, my brother told me that hot dogs came from dog tails. That's why some dogs have short tails. I refused to eat hot dogs ever again until I got older and in high school then I learned differently.
Poor mom...she had a hard time during picnics and kiddie meals to get me to eat 'em.

- Ceicei

P

pknox

Originally posted by Ceicei
When I was a kid eating hot dogs, my brother told me that hot dogs came from dog tails. That's why some dogs have short tails. I refused to eat hot dogs ever again until I got older and in high school then I learned differently.
Poor mom...she had a hard time during picnics and kiddie meals to get me to eat 'em.

- Ceicei

And when you found out what they're really made of, that made you feel better? :)

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Marienettes used to scare me quite a bit...

T

TheRustyOne

Hm, I don't remember much, but always getting up in front of people scared the crap out of me. Man, I was nervous in Boston b/c of that!

And at my old school (American Karate Studios -- run by Mr. and Mrs. Clapp and assisted by another guy that I can say him name but not spell it :p) they had one way mirrors, so during belt advancements, I knew there were people back there. Oi. That was back between '92 and '96. The Clapps run a school of a hybridization of EPAK/Tracy/Chinese Kenpo and just recently added Modern Arnis. There, I got to 3rd degree brown.

L

Limey Scrapman

Clowns give me the creeps. I guess it's from watching the Avengers in the 70's were the bad guy's could be creepy clowns.

Even now I can't stand them. With the big white faces and red noses I get the urge to smash them. If they have the big orange wig, even worse!:mad:

I can enjoy "circ du solei" either!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clowns give me the creeps

It's amazing how prevelant this phobia is. I had a friend in the military who didn't have much of a problem getting shot at but a clown would scare the hell out of him.

Latest Discussions