"Funny" how the left is all PC....

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may as well say "do away with politics' Suk...hell my nation fought a Civil War over political differences.

My apologies, TG. I didn't intend to put it across in quite such a overly simplified form as to give the impression that 'politics' in and of itself is what should be shunned. I was driving at not allowing the 'Party Line' to dictate your thinking and choices as an individual.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is the latest...did anyone here about obama's "Catholic," gaffe over in Ireland?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journa...-School-Gaffe-in-Ireland-Ignored-by-U-S-Media

I typed in "obama's gaffe in Ireland" and 2 pages in...nothing from the democrat/government media...it is all on the new media...

I suppose ignorant people with no understanding of Obama's audience for that speech in Northern Ireland would consider it a gaffe. Please consider the president's comments in context of this history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregation_in_Northern_Ireland

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about Islamic Schools? Why didn't he mention them??

Probably because Islamic schools didn't have a significant role in the history of segregation in Northern Ireland.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose ignorant people with no understanding of Obama's audience for that speech in Northern Ireland would consider it a gaffe. Please consider the president's comments in context of this history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segrega...rthern_Ireland

Yes, had Bush done the same thing I'm sure that this gaffe would have been explained away the same way...

And here is another gaffe that hasn't been covered...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/06/our-dim-witted-president.php

President Obama seems incapable of going abroad without embarrassing himself. Via InstaPundit, we learn that when he was in the U.K., Obama couldn’t keep Chancellor George Osborne’s name straight. Obama repeatedly called him “Jeffrey.” The repeated gaffe became so obvious that Obama apologized:

According to the Sun and the Financial Times, Mr Obama apologised to the chancellor for calling him Jeffrey three times during the meeting – saying: “I’m sorry, man. I must have confused you with my favourite R&B singer”.

That would be this Jeffrey Osborne. The real Jeffrey Osborne was excited to hear about the mishap, and George Osborne was gracious about it. But good grief: the first obligation of a diplomat is to keep track of whom he is speaking to. One can imagine the hilarity if George W. Bush had referred to Gordon Brown, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and Prime Minister during his administration, as “James Brown,” confusing the Prime Minister with his favorite R&B singer. Or perhaps, given Bush’s musical tastes, Sawyer Brown, or Zac Brown. Would such a gaffe have been laughed off? I doubt it.

Is this how a President is supposed to address foreign leaders...and not catch all kinds of criticism...?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Yes, had Bush done the same thing I'm sure that this gaffe would have been explained away the same way..."

Mate, your bias is making your brain fire in such mysterious ways that you are acquiring the gift of Reinterpreted Past Prognostification :lol:.

As to getting Bland Boys name wrong, well the economy wrecker should be happy with the thought that it's a sign he'll soon be forgotten; that way he might escape the blame for the generational depression he's busy engineering (just for the people that don't matter i.e. the ones who aren't Tory voting millionaires).

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe there is an up side to such familiarity. If they are truly that comfortable with each other, they might actually communicate when they deal with important issues and not resort to diplomat-speak.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
‘Offensive to Muslims’: Dem congressman calls on FBI to take down photos of terrorists

Posted By Gabe Finger On 5:52 PM 06/20/2013 DAILYCALLER EXCERPT:

Always-unfiltered Rep. Jim McDermott penned a letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller Wednesday claiming a Joint Terrorism Task Force ‘Faces of Global Terrorism’ ad is racist.
McDermott, a Democrat from Washington state, voiced his “deep concern” about the ad, which shows mug shots of international terrorists, and asked the FBI chief to “reconsider publicizing” it.
According to McDermott, the “ad featuring sixteen photos of wanted terrorists is not only offensive to Muslims and ethnic minorities, but it encourages racial and religious profiling.”
McDermott continued, “Representing terrorists, however, from only one ethnic or religious group, promotes stereotypes and ignores other forms of extremism. The FBI’s ‘Most Wanted Terrorists List‘ includes individuals of other races and associated with other religions and causes, but their faces are missing from this campaign.”

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
NBC news? Yeah, they are a news network...:lfao:

If only this was a democrat then they wouldn't have to edit his remarks...check out the video of what he actually said...the full clip of what he said comes in at the 59 second mark, after the video covers the anchor and guest attacking Congressman Sessions...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journa...C-News-Caught-Again-Selectively-Editing-Video

Deceptive journalistic practices at NBC News show no sign of slowing down. This latest attempt to selectively edit audio/video in order to benefit Barack Obama represents the seventh such act of willful, intentional journalistic malpractice.

The whole idea behind this edit was to make it look as though Republican congressman Pete Sessions was claiming that giving food stamps to the poor meant you were giving food stamps to rapists and child molesters. In other words, poor people are criminals.
As you can see, though, what Sessions really said and meant was the exact opposite.
Since NBC News has begun this regular practice of deceptively editing audio, video, and photos in order to make Obama's political critics and foes look bad, the rest of the media as a whole have hardly bothered to notice.
Oh, some who screw up in media are given all kinds of hell from their colleagues. Howard Kurtz, for example. But Kurtz's honest (but big) mistake was to be critical of a left-wing sacred cow.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now see...if the democrat/government media wasn't politically correct and trying to protect obama...then this little factoid (brought to my attention by Ann Coulter on Sean Hannity's Fox cable news show) would have been used as a hammer against him...but he isn't Mitt Romney or George Bush...

if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs -- if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division. It discourages cooperation.

President obama gave a speech at Morehouse College...a college for men only...for African American men only...and yet this is apparently not encouraging division, and it doesn't discourage cooperation...? How is that? Why didn't the government/democrat media mention this point...?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: I have a copy of Longmans Latin Course right here if you'd like to borrow it, Don? :D

Crikey this book is even older than me! Only by a year but still ... :lol:.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a double standard in coverage, not just on the cultural side as with maher, but with politics as well. The left benefits, the right suffers...it is something I have seen over the last 26 years of watching the way the media covers things. Rush calls fluke a slut, apologizes and it is 24/7 coverage...over someone not even a policy maker.

If someone on the left spent the kind of time that he did making the kind misogynistic, hate-filled rants like what he said about her, and then made the kind of BS "I'm sorry that what I said made people feel offended" kind of apology like he did - yes it would be on the news 24/7. The left would be falling all over itself to say how that person was a radical and didn't speak for them. Don't kid yourself.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone on the left spent the kind of time that he did making the kind misogynistic, hate-filled rants like what he said about her, and then made the kind of BS "I'm sorry that what I said made people feel offended" kind of apology like he did - yes it would be on the news 24/7. The left would be falling all over itself to say how that person was a radical and didn't speak for them. Don't kid yourself.

Misogynistic hate-filled rants? He said she wanted the people to pay for her birth control, in essence to fund her sex life and that one who is paid for their sex life is a prostitute. Honesty is bad...

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAAAAND we've reached the limits of Google Translate.

Yep. :) I know that I have my old Latin Books in storage...somewhere. I am just to lazy to go hunt for them.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Misogynistic hate-filled rants? He said she wanted the people to pay for her birth control, in essence to fund her sex life and that one who is paid for their sex life is a prostitute. Honesty is bad...

Honesty is great - so it would be nice if he had been honest.

In actual fact, this was a woman who expected that 1) the health insurance that she bought with her own money would cover 2) an extremely common medicine taken by 12 million people in this country and covered by pretty much every other plan, which 3) she needed for some reason that may or may not have been contraception (it's commonly prescribed for many medical problems, even to women who are not sexually active).

He lied through his teeth to describe it the way that he did, so that he could make disgusting, misogynistic comments to try and slander her. What a pathetic, pervy old man.

Latest Discussions