Full Contact HapKiDo

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just so we are all clear what type of organization we have here promoting these events. Here is a little tidbit about the man listed on the World Hapkido Association website as the senior instructor - he is listed first on the site...choe, hui son:

Example of What a Black Belt Should Not Be

6/7/2001, by Noel S. Brady, reporter for Eastside Journal in Washington State

A martial arts master yesterday struck a plea bargain with prosecutors and admitted to wielding a samurai sword that caused the death of a Bellevue business man.

Hui Son Choe, 40, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter for the death of 37-year-old Ki Gol Lee, which occurred after an argument between the two men turned violent.

King County Prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said the state will recommend a judge sentence Lee to 9½ years in prison. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for June 29.

At the time of the April 2000 melee, Choe lived in Spanaway and ran a martial arts school in Federal Way. A seventh-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, Choe also was well respected as a master and innovator of Hap Ki Do, a lesser-known martial art about which he's written a book.

A Korean immigrant who helped other Koreans secure home and business loans, Lee showed up at Choe's dojo and confronted him in a parking lot there, prosecutors say. Witnesses told police the two began arguing, but a fight broke out after Choe rushed Lee with a drawn samurai sword.

The fight ended after Lee sustained a 2½-foot-long gash to his inner right thigh, severing his femoral artery. He died early the next morning at Harborview Medical Center.

Detectives followed a trail of blood into Choe's school. Inside, they found a bloody samurai sword and blood-spattered clothing that matched witness' descriptions of the sword fighter.

They later arrested Choe at his Spanaway home.

Donohoe said it's still unclear what the two men where arguing about. Prosecutors originally charged Choe with second-degree murder, but that charge was reduced for lack of evidence, he said.

``We felt there were some proof problems to get murder-two,'' he said.

choe pleaded guilty to first degree manslaughter.

Now, generally, I don't care about a single bad apple in a bunch, we have all seen them before - but this group WHA - still lists this guy and worse STILL SELLS HIS MATERIALS - books and tapes for profit - now if they said that the money from the sale of these items went 100% to the family of the man choe killed - I would applaud them - as they stand now I say - BOYCOTT THEM!!!!

choe is listed as a Hapkido master - who killed an unarmed man with a sword - and the WHA has so little common sense they have a picture of choe with a sword in his hand...

You can all decide for yourselves - I already have...

OP
W

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is pretty despicable. But I would point out the Arnold-Gracie tournament is a independent thing and not the same as the WHA tournaments that were mentioned before.

I do agree though, the WHA should disassociate themselves with someone convicted of murder.

Dusty

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sir, dont mistake the wha with the wkf. i am almost 100% sure it is grandmaster Seo's org that is sponsoring this tournament.what choe did is despicable and he should be removed from the wha, but they are two different org.'s

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

This thread is about the WHA's "Pro-Hapkido" Tournament. I will reference only that group for this discussion.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
WilliamJ said:
Greetings gents and ladies. I was browsing around the forum here a little and thought this might be of interest. I did a search and didn't see this topic around so if this is a repeat please forgive.

Full contact HapKiDo tournaments are making some noise out in CA, and I think it might be a major step in the development and progression of the art. I trained under this forum's own Iron Ox for a few years some time back, hey Kev long time no see bro, and have since trained in Judo and BJJ. The addition of live resistance to HapKiDo seems to me to be a very positiive thing.

For those who are curious, http://www.pro-hapkido.com/ Take a look in the video section, there is a short demo clip from the tournament DVD.

Hello all,

Just so we are all clear what type of organization we have here promoting these events. Here is a little tidbit about the man listed on the World Hapkido Association website as the senior instructor - he is listed first on the site...choe, hui son:

Example of What a Black Belt Should Not Be

6/7/2001, by Noel S. Brady, reporter for Eastside Journal in Washington State

A martial arts master yesterday struck a plea bargain with prosecutors and admitted to wielding a samurai sword that caused the death of a Bellevue business man.

Hui Son Choe, 40, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter for the death of 37-year-old Ki Gol Lee, which occurred after an argument between the two men turned violent.

King County Prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said the state will recommend a judge sentence Lee to 9½ years in prison. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for June 29.

At the time of the April 2000 melee, Choe lived in Spanaway and ran a martial arts school in Federal Way. A seventh-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, Choe also was well respected as a master and innovator of Hap Ki Do, a lesser-known martial art about which he's written a book.

A Korean immigrant who helped other Koreans secure home and business loans, Lee showed up at Choe's dojo and confronted him in a parking lot there, prosecutors say. Witnesses told police the two began arguing, but a fight broke out after Choe rushed Lee with a drawn samurai sword.

The fight ended after Lee sustained a 2½-foot-long gash to his inner right thigh, severing his femoral artery. He died early the next morning at Harborview Medical Center.

Detectives followed a trail of blood into Choe's school. Inside, they found a bloody samurai sword and blood-spattered clothing that matched witness' descriptions of the sword fighter.

They later arrested Choe at his Spanaway home.

Donohoe said it's still unclear what the two men where arguing about. Prosecutors originally charged Choe with second-degree murder, but that charge was reduced for lack of evidence, he said.

``We felt there were some proof problems to get murder-two,'' he said.

choe pleaded guilty to first degree manslaughter.

Now, generally, I don't care about a single bad apple in a bunch, we have all seen them before - but this group WHA - still lists this guy and worse STILL SELLS HIS MATERIALS - books and tapes for profit - now if they said that the money from the sale of these items went 100% to the family of the man choe killed - I would applaud them - as they stand now I say - BOYCOTT THEM!!!!

choe is listed as a Hapkido master - who killed an unarmed man with a sword - and the WHA has so little common sense they have a picture of choe with a sword in his hand...

You can all decide for yourselves - I already have...

Does that make it clearer?

I will not discuss Seo, In Sun - it has a tendency to get bad vibes started here.

OP
W

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Again I do agree, the WHA should discontinue any association/promotion/sales of that mans merchandise. I did not know about that guy when I started the thread. The only reason I mentioned the Arnold's is that it came up during the course of discussion.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Allright, I said I would come back and give my impression and here goes....

LOL..There wasn't one....:idunno: It turns out we had one lonely,poor KSW guy show up who wanted to spar. I think the word wasn't sent out properly,and I think this was a "testing the waters" period for next year.

We had a great time with everyone doing demo's and generally just out practicing technique with whoever felt like practicing. I made some new Hapki-buds and have a lot to look forward to in the coming year.

On a side-note,the blessed lack of politics were an added bonus. We had guys from IHF,WHF,WKF,WKSA,from all over the place and in-between,and everyone shared their Hapkido in a brotherly fashion. It was really a great experience. I would encourage everyone to attend next year's event,as it's looking like we'll have a much better turn out.

So...sorry I couldn't give you an "insiders" look at a Hapkido tourny,I guess we'll just have to wait until next year. :asian:

OP
W

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well that's a little disappointing but it was the first time for it. Hopefully it will be better run than the BJJ comp down there is. Every year there are huge delays, people waiting 6,7, even 8 hours for matches.

Inspite of that I think the Arnold's is a great venue for everyone, hopefully they do a better job of getting the word out next year.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I didn't make it to the event, can anyone give a kind of thumbnail or timeline for what went down? Were there workshops/seminars? Were there demos? Were weapons covered? Were people outside of KMA attending, and if so, how did they reconcile the variety of backgrounds with activities on the mats? Just a few thoughts to push the discussion along.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
W

WilliamJ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here is a link to the website.

http://www.arnoldmartialarts.com

Basically it's all part of the Ahnold fitness weekend. Body building, powerlifting, fitness competitions and martial arts of all types. From what I have heard they have demonstration competitions, breaking, forms, team demos, grappling competitions and this year they added MMA and HapKiDo tournaments. They really cover a TON of ground.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

Workshops were the only reason I went!

There were different workshops for just about everything you could think of in different rooms in different halls. Business,Kobudo,Archery,Iaido,Hapkido,Kickboxing,Shootfighting,Jujutsu,BJJ,Karate,Knife fighting,and Kali are just a few of the ones I remember seeing.I do have a list somewhere,but the schedule was way off from what it said.Try to imagine the United Center in Chicago jammed pack with people and MAists. In scope,it was the largest spectacle I have ever seen.

As far as different arts practicing together,the workshops were put together in a one hour format,so they were not very "deep" *with exception to Mr. Timmerman's..ouch:) * so being of different backgrounds really wasn't an issue.

I don't recall seeing a KMA weapons workshop,or I would have been all over it. Shame.

Demo's:

Now this was really great from a Hapkido point of veiw. For our Hapkido demo,we had guys from a lot of Org's and view's just out there doing their stuff. It was pretty much a "Hey..you wanna go out there?" type of thing.

A ton of people gathered around the mats to watch and ask questions. It was a lot of fun.I have some gorgeous video I shot that tells the story. There was a sad lack of a concrete timetable to go by,but I think that next year the Hapkido section will be head and shoulders above this years event. Hopefully you'll get to make it out,as it was pretty cool just to watch a little of everything after you went to your workshops,of course. Good time.

K

kwanjang

I had asked in another thread to have Paul give us some of his insights, sorry I did not realize you had already done so here. I appreciate the comments, and I also was taken by surprise about the lack of organization. for example. As far as I knew I had just one seminar to do on Saturday. I found out that, according to their printed schedule (so they had lots of time to inform me), that I was scheduled to do three. One was supposed to be done on Friday morning (I did not even leave until Friday morning, and the drive is 10 hours lol).

Then I was scheduled for Sunday as well. I could not stay for that, as I had to drive back, get a day of rest, and then drive to Jackson. Moreover, this thing was scheduled at the same time the tournament was going on, and I was supposed to help run that???? In any case, we thought the tournament would be on Saturday. My students cannot possibly do one on Sunday, as that is when we drive back (Moms just won't let their kids miss school:)

So, yes... we have some major work to be done, and we could use everyone's help with it next year; however, I strongly suggest we start NOW if we want these Hap Ki Do events to run well.

On the plus side... no politics and lots of good stuff to see (if you are into seeing skin, you can have a blast lol). Everything from Weightlifting to Cheer leading, and everyone getting along fine:)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(if you are into seeing skin, you can have a blast lol).
:rofl:

I'm glad you said it...lol

One comment made by a buddy..."I have never seen so many people in one place with no necks having arms and legs the size of trees wearing so little clothing....and then you have the men."

There were some "colorful " people there,for sure.

Latest Discussions