fukuro shinai

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tozando sells them, I believe, if you wanna mail order one.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
http://www.bujindesign.com/weapons_bamboo.html

These are the best I have found and hold up to kenjutsu keiko... and are heavy duty...

I have also used the normal shinai with a fukuro over it...
Beto, N. Frausto
P.O. Box 3392
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
(979) 236-7785
Makes really good ones too... fukuro that is not the bamboo... [email protected]

But again it depends on what you need or want it for...

ralph severe, kamiyama

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Also,

Tim Bathurst makes them www.timbathurst.net, I beleive. The only problem is the shipping from Japan can be expensive. But If you, or someone you know, is going they could pick them up, or if he has a seminar close to you I think he carries some stock.

Steve Kovalcik

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have used Tim Bathurst fukuro and they are ok.. but not as good as Bu Jin in my opinion.... and they seem easy to break the bamboo during kenjutsu..

Good luck..

ralph severe, kamiyama

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If one is hitting one's partners's swords hard enough for them to break early on, then one should probably sit down for a while and ponder how they are meant to be used. If you're hitting them with anything harder, such as a bokken or bo, sure...
Also, those Bujin shinai seem to have very small tsuka, not very good for simulation of katchu bujutsu techniques.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your experience with weaponry training methods are.. and of course you're most likely a expert level with them... but I do not hit partners with fukuro I hit fukuro shinai together during training... kenjutsu... the fukuro over the shinai are for the safety of the partner.. during this training..

If bamboo is not picked correctly and in the right season it is soft and splits easy during training as shinai or shinai with fukuro..

I first started using a shinai at the age of 22 and the fukuro at the age of 30.
So I have used them for a while under different conditions.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now, I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything, but I can assure you that Tim's swords are more than adequate for full contact blows. Assuming one is actually cutting people properly instead of trying to break the other's sword, that is. Another good thing about Tim's swords is that their tips aren't pointy like ordinary shinai. And Tim knows how to get a hold of good materials for them. I should know since I talked to him about it.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:
I have used Tim Bathurst fukuro and they are ok.. but not as good as Bu Jin in my opinion.... and they seem easy to break the bamboo during kenjutsu..
Tim has said that the fukuro shinai he makes are first and foremost, for practicing MuTo Dori.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kizaru said:
Tim has said that the fukuro shinai he makes are first and foremost, for practicing MuTo Dori.
That's interesting. I was at a seminar with him a while ago and he never mentioned that, however, he did tell us that pretty much all sword training in Japan these days, at least with Soke and Nagato sensei, is done with his swords.

And like I said, the Bujin shinai have a very small tsuka, that might make for an awkward grip.

OP
stauburn

stauburn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones comments...I Had the chance to train withboth types of shinai a little while ago and I personally prefered the one made by Tim Bathhurst, so I will be ordering a set of those from him in the near future..

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen two TB crack at the Houston seminar.. small bamboo pieces were coming out of the handle area.. and the handle part of the bamboo looked to be to small for impact anyway..
I will stick with BuJin fukuro shinai.. $25....
I have owned 6 of them and none as of yet have cracked..

I would say.. go with what creates a drama workout for you.. and chat about it at dinner afterwards.

Yes, I was also told TB fukuro shinai were only for muto dori too.. but I was giving a seminar on kenjutsu and doing a lot of guard locking and tying up to grappling.. so they were safer than the bokken..

ok
ralph severe, kamiyama

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of the things that I noticed about the Bujin design, is that the bamboo is solid until about half way down the blade. Only the top half is actually split. Hurts like a mother to get hit with it still. They are very heavy-duty. I will last quite a long time. I prefer Tim's though. The covering allows for draws from the belt that the suede covering of Bujin's hampers. They are also a little more forgiving for those unexpected smacks. Plus, I like Tim. I would rather support someone I like than a faceless company.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
r.severe said:

Good luck..

ralph severe, kamiyama

I don't like the covering on the Bujin design, the soft leather makes it hard to draw from the belt. The tsuka is too short for my taste as well. However, all of Bujin's stuff is certainly well made from a workmanship standpoint.

Steve

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the bamboo is very strong..
The handle end splits and gets soft with use..
I would expect this to be by design.
Mine are soft and work great.

The most important point is they are not to soft and will not just give like TB's fukuro when working hanbojutsu and you lose the 'feeling' of the kansetsu waza.

The fukuro is very soft too.
I do not use BuJin fukuro over my shinai.. I use ones I have made for my own personal use..

But also I have never had any problems using one with the leather they provide when drawing from an obi.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Latest Discussions