Freedom of Speach and the Internet

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've see quite a few people talk about how they were sensored, banned, suspended because they said or did something. Then they talk about how their freedom of speach was violated somehow.

First I would like to say one thing, a website is someone's property. Which means they pay for it. Even when you get a web hosting account (free or paid for), there is someone who owns the server and spends money to keep it running. So think if it as your home. If you own a house and you have people come by for a gathering, you are well within your rights to tell a person to leave for any reason. That includes if they say something you don't like. It becomes your choice on where to draw the line and what your tolerence level is.

A web forum is a gathering, usually free of charge, that someone is hosting on their server or web hosting account. You are a guest, as such, guests need to follow house rules. On MT it is pretty much spelled out. But in actuallity, there is no law stating they have to follow their own rules (not doing so would be bad for biz).

The bottom line is the internet is covered by the 1st amendment in the U.S. But if you wish to have the freedom to say anything you wish (without breaking any laws), then the only way to do so is to get your own server or find someone who will let you use their server with no rules attached. Even then, they can change their mind because they found out you like apples more than oranges.

Boittom line, get over the free speach thing will ya.:whip:
You're in someones home here.:ultracool

You may now display your personal knowledge and opinions of how freedom of speach relates to the internet. Please, you can also completely disagree with me and even call me names, just don't break house rules. :)

P.S.
Any lawyers here? I would love to hear your personal understanding of the law on this subject. I especially like to know how far off the mark I was.

Disclaimer:
This is just a rant.

The above is just an observation from reading many forums besides the current one. I am neither a lawyer nor an expert on the subject. Also, this is NOT directed at any individual.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, anyone is free to say whatever they want on whatever forum they want.

Of course the admin / moderators are also free to delete anything they want and ban anyone they want :D

I'd go against censorship of the internet as a whole, but each site can censor the content of their site in any way they like.

Although when you think about it it is kind of wierd, citing legal stuff to protect freedom on the internet and claiming that the internet should be unregulated... If it's unregulated then the legal stuff is irrelevant and you can cite your right to free speech all you like and be completely ignored....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most sites you enter have a set of rules.
You agree to abide by those rules by joining.
If you do not follow the rules you are at the mercy of the person(s) running the site.

R

rmcrobertson

As somebody who got banned once (unfairly, to be sure...nice guy like me?), the issue of freedom of speech as such didn't really even come up, as far as I was concerned. Political slant, and maybe a thought or two about mob rule--but the Constitution?

Not hardly.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
As somebody who got banned once (unfairly, to be sure...nice guy like me?), the issue of freedom of speech as such didn't really even come up, as far as I was concerned. Political slant, and maybe a thought or two about mob rule--but the Constitution?

Not hardly.

Mr. Robertson,

Banned? from this site?

Maybe a suspension? A suspension is when you have been given time off, where as a ban is when you account is turned off and you are not allowed back.

Curious

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
our languiage is vast enough to talk without offending people too terribly much, you just have to keep your more vulgar words at bay and try to explain what your ideas or feelings are in a more fashionable manor. if you can't do that i suggest to pick up a dictionary and figure out what people around you have ben saying your whole lives, otherwise your gonna be left behind.

Kid

(please forgive my spelling and puncuation)

R

rmcrobertson

Oh...uh, yeah.

You'd think an English teacher would know that....unfortunately, I'd just gotten out of a two-hour meeting with two particularly-intractable specimens of that same variety (well, three, counting me), and I plead brain-leak.

And...and anyway, somebody spelled, "speech," wrong!

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Free speech really only exists when you control the medium; or the owners of the medium let everyone say anything thing they want.

When I think of freedom of speech I think of "freedom of the press" and some experiences I've had where: "Yes, there is freedom of the press, but it's our paper and we're not printing your opinion."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'm all for free-speech upholding the first admendment and all that... but there's something I think the founding fathers should've made a bit more clearer when drafting this particular (and others) one. You CAN say what ever you want to say... but it's HOW you say it that makes a difference.
I think basically on internet forum/discussion groups it's all about respect for your fellow members. Respect for their own personal values while still upholding yours is basically an oxymoron/paradox at best/worse. Easy to do but hard to do at the same time. You want to say what you want to say but don't want to offend someone (which is basically showing them respect).
I treat MT (and other discussion groups) basically the way Zoran had suggested. Treat it like it's someone's house and go with the flow. You're not compromising yourself or your own personality just respecting the limits one wants to have where you enter.
I am part of some discussion groups where swearing is okay just don't over do it. Others it's a definite NO-NO. I can be a jerk and tout my 1st admendment rights and swear enough to make a sailor blush but all that's going to do is get me kicked right outta here and banned...(oh the horror ... no more teasing/flirting the LLR ladies eeek! :xtrmshock :vu: ).
I agree that people just flout the various amendments into our faces dispite most of us already are well familiar with them. Just have our own itty-bitty interpretation of them. :rolleyes:
So if a person can't handle that... then... :D

Attachments

• $banhim.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 135

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the important aspects of protecting the members of this board from being treated unfairly by the Administration simply due to a difference of opinion is our policy of peer review. I think that in order to ensure that policy is applied fairly and evenly, there cannot be too much of a concentration of power.

If you think about it, it's a lot like governance. It really is.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Constitution could use a little clarifying. The bill of rights is directed toward the government, specifically the enforcement arm. When the Constitution grants freedom of speech, it is telling the enforcement arm of the government that it MAY NOT take enforcement action against a citizen for utilizing their free speech rights. It is not directed at another individual citizen that denies a citizen a forum for their speech. The right to an audience was no where guaranteed in the Constitution. You can say what you want, but no one else has to listen, nor are you guaranteed any forum you desire.