Freaking MRSA

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate it. I'm 'colonized' and get an outbreak every couple years. Got one now. Went to Urgent Care, got a prescription for some antibiotics, two days later I can hardly move my neck, it has spread and hurts like heck. Went to ER this morning. More different antibiotics. Can't work, can't go to dojo while infectious, all I can do is sit and home and drink diet root beer and sulk.

Bah!

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill, been there and done that. The trick is to get it completely out of your system, but the docs usually don't want to stick the jet fuel in you if you are... basically "healthy" other than the infection.

Yes, I thought it sounded strange too. IV antibiotic of vancomycin is the first line to halt a systemic infection, and if that ends up not stomping your strain, there are three more lines behind Vanc which Will work, though in the short term you'll think the time spend sitting still was a rosy day at Disney. Still, it does work, if you can get the doc to do it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, Bill, that sucks. Best wishes to you, bro, get better.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just saw this. I would guess by this time you are better. At least I hope.

That must suck to get it periodically.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the worst part about it...is the diet root beer!

Just kidding. Get better.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm over this bout, thanks guys. Yeah, it sucks. Not much I can do about it, I get outbreaks from time to time. Fortunately there are still cheap and effective antibiotics that work on the strain that I seem to have. Unless and until it mutates, I can just take pills until it goes away. Hurts like hell, and of course I have to isolate myself to avoid spreading it, but otherwise it's more an annoyance than anything else.

Someday I may reach the point where the most common MRSA-type antibiotics are failing, and then I've got real problems. Some folks are already there. Fortunately for me, Bactrim still works.

Latest Discussions