Fraud.....

OP
K

Karazenpo

Seig & tshadowchaser, Sorry guys but my back was to the wall on that one. I mean, I was 11 years from 6th to 7th, so for someone to mistakenly apply that post to me, really pressed my buttons and that is why I was so strong on my response. Professor Nick Cerio had a favorite saying: "Do what you have to do" and I guess I did, lol. As you know, that is out of character for me on this or any other forum. However, I feel it all worked out in the end by hashing it out a little, sometimes it works out for the best that way. I apologize for any breach in etiquette. I wish no hard feelings with anyone. Respectfully, Professor Joe Shuras

OP
K

Karazenpo

Hello to all, I had someone suggest to me (a member of this forum) that the post that 'ruffled my feathers', so to speak, was not mean't toward me 'directly', as my handle or username is 'Karazenpo', however, it is also clearly in my signature that I hold the office of Massachusetts president of Sijo's Gascon's Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu Black Belt Society and I have also had negative dealings with that poster before, there's a history here. Please understand that I have the same devotion, love and respect to Sijo Gascon as the AK people have for Mr. Parker and Mr. Tatum, the Kajukenbo people have for Sijo Emperado, the Kosho Shorei ryu people have for Gm. Thomas and Hanshi Juchnik and the Tracy people do for Gm. Al Tracy. Like all of you have come to the defense of you and yours, I do mine. I am no different. I just wanted all of you to know that. I said what I felt I had to say and tomorro's another day....I hold no malice or ill will toward that individual. Thank you. Respectfully submitted, Professor Joe Shuras

OP
K

Karazenpo

I just received a nice private e-mail from dogboy confirming that he didn't mean me personally. I totally respect the fact that he would take the time to send an apology of which I accept. I explained myself in the above post that a slap to one is a slap to all, so I won't get into that again but as far as we're both concerned it's all water under the bridge or is it over the dam, well, anyway, it's forgotten!, lol..

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Karazenpo said:
I just received a nice private e-mail from dogboy confirming that he didn't mean me personally. I totally respect the fact that he would take the time to send an apology of which I accept. I explained myself in the above post that a slap to one is a slap to all, so I won't get into that again but as far as we're both concerned it's all water under the bridge or is it over the dam, well, anyway, it's forgotten!, lol..
i'm glad that the problem is solved peacefully WITHOUT igniting anything else. I guess you and another HANDLED it well. I wish everybody is like you.

Hopefully, your success in dealing this issue will be a subject to be studied by others for many years to come. :)

have a nice weekend.

OP
G

getgoin

Karazenpo said:
I just received a nice private e-mail from dogboy confirming that he didn't mean me personally. I totally respect the fact that he would take the time to send an apology of which I accept.
Thats stand up, on both sides.

OP
K

Karazenpo

Thanks guys. I appreciate your kind words on this and I'm sure he does too. I put in a good word to tshadowchaser if he could talk to the administrator and get dogboy's account reinstated. I just wish he'd change his username, everytime I use it I feel like I'm on an S&M forum, lol, and don't go asking me how I'd know what that felt like! LOL, LOL. Respectfully, Professor Joe

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've reactivated DogBoys account. Thank you gentlemen for the public air-clearing. :)

OP
K

Karazenpo

Kaith Rustaz said:
I've reactivated DogBoys account. Thank you gentlemen for the public air-clearing. :)

Thank you, Sir!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
tmonis said:
Without mentioning any names, Please explain to me how a well known martial artist can be promoted to 1st Dan in1994 and then be promoted to 9th by 2003. And has only had a school for about 3 years from 1994-1997. Gave it up and his only job to the Martial Arts now is be a figure head of an organization.

I guess it comes back to not what you know, but who you know in this case. Maybe if I work real hard sucking up I can become a 10th Dan in about a year or so to.

Is it just me or does that sound real fishy to you?:idunno:
Dude, you really don't have a lot of wiggle room yourself in this area. You created your own style, was there something wrong with the one you were studying to begin with that you had to create yet another?

DarK LorD

OP
T

tmonis

Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Dude, you really don't have a lot of wiggle room yourself in this area. You created your own style, was there something wrong with the one you were studying to begin with that you had to create yet another? DarK LorD
Hello Darklord,

1. No the styles that I studied before are awesome. I would never take anything away from them. I have a Karazenpo / Shaolin Kempo / Hakkoryu Ju Jitsu background. If there are two things I enjoy doing in the Martial Arts, that would be Kenpo and Ju Jitsu. So that being said, with a little bit of changing here and there with what I have learned, I managed to combine the two and make it my own with just a few slight differences. It is in in't infancy but there was a enough difference, even just slightly, to be accepted by the Soke Council, North American Grandmasters Council, GM Al C., and my GM Simms to be sent and approvd for Sokeship. Even with that I am not a 10th Dan.
2. I have been in the Martial Arts for going on 32 years now and have trained with Prof. Cerio, Prof. Godin, Prof. Gascon, GM Simms, Prof. Shuras, Master Corrigan, Master Longacre, and Soke Kuniba and GM Barbara Meyers (Hakkoryu) who trained under Soke Kuniba before his death. All of which, who are still living, would more than likely vouch for me.
3. This posting was not about any organization. It was about being promoted from 1st Dan to 9th Dan in less than 10 years and trying to let everyone know that there are some real frauds out there. To be careful and do your research. The person I was talking about had made some very serious claims to have been promoted by Prof. Cerio to 9th Dan in 2003-4. It was a lie and I called him out on it. His website does not even connect anymore. So he got the message.
4. My promotions have all been within a normal time range. And in 32 years I have only made it to 7th. Even with my own style. And to be honest with you, I really don't expect any further. And if I were to be promoted. I am sure it would be before a panel of 9th / 10th Dan. My promotions are well documented from White Belt to 7th Dan and I assure you I earned everyone of them. No one gave me anything at all.
Thank you for your inqury though. And have a great week.

Prof. Todd:asian:

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Dude, you really don't have a lot of wiggle room yourself in this area. You created your own style, was there something wrong with the one you were studying to begin with that you had to create yet another?

DarK LorD
you gotta love "America inovation" thing :)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi;

What I see in the MA's today some are leaders, some are follower's.

Some practice one art, others go for 4/5 years and then into another that is newer not necessarily better, just different. New thoughts a change of pace.

I don't like to see to much of the 10th Dan new system, but you sure see alot of it here of late. Many good ones who are not into, the holding back for the sake of making more money, with the few you have and don't want the compitition mentality.

Again it has an awful lot to do with our society and freedom of movement and for that I am grateful. If it works for you use it if not go a different route.
Lots of roads (path) out there. Path was the old name, not to many roads in the days of origin.

Regards, Gary

OP
T

tmonis

GAB: That was nicely put.

Thunderbolt: Innovation maybe.:idunno: The spreading of something different, ok.
But this was really all by accident. I have been training my class like this for a while and a few people noticed that it was different and suggeted I submit it and see what happens. So I did. Never expecting anything to come of it. Made a detailed manual,got a visit from a few people in the Kenpo World and the Ju Jitsu World, performed everything in front of a few people and then I got the notices in the mail after a long time between the visits and the notices. So somebody liked what we are doing. Other than that I was very happy doing my own thing in my own little corner of the world. Did not really mean to share it, but it happened that way.

Ok so with no disrepect intended at all to anyone. Because everyone has a right to their own opinions. I was just wondering. Does this usually happen on this forum? When the thread starts to die down, you turn on the person that started it? I was only trying to help that's all. By exposing this one dude that was trying to start something.

Anyway; no hard feelings, just wondering. Everyone have a great week.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm....

Didn't Great Grand Master Ed Parker create his own system from Old Pine Tree Kenpo / Kajukenbo and state that he had made enough changes to the original system that it was no longer that system and renamed it "American Kenpo" ?

Didn't Sonny Gascon do the same thing?

How about George Pesare?

or Nick Cerio?

I dont see anything wrong with working for years, being good at what you do and then teaching what works for you. The problem comes from the many , many teachers claiming to be all knowing grand masters. Every single one of them and you and I are still learning, changing, adapting as we grow in what we do. How can any of us be a "Great Grand Master"? Listen you get that lofty in your self worth and then we do have conflict.

The greatest teachers I have ever had are the ones who were on the floor with me, trading shots, spilling blood, helping each other up and trusting each other with shots to vital targets so we could LEARN!

When you run a business, run a business. When you run a school run a school. When you combine them something will suffer because its like oil and water they do not mix. Business will increase when set the curriculum up for the mass, business will decrease when you set up the curriculum for knowledge, growth and the production of good fighters. It has always been this way.

A note on Jeff Speakman. I trained with him on two sperate occassions during seminars he put out here in the Chicago area back in the mid 90's and he was a solid 5th BB. He was also a high ranking BB in Goju Ryu? at the time I believe. He knows his stuff. What ever has gone on since then I do not know, but as far as my book goes he is a solid 5th in American Kenpo. No fraud there.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
BallistikMike said:
Hmmm....
When you run a business, run a business. When you run a school run a school. When you combine them something will suffer because its like oil and water they do not mix. Business will increase when set the curriculum up for the mass, business will decrease when you set up the curriculum for knowledge, growth and the production of good fighters. It has always been this way.
Damn that was good. That's exactly what Parker did. He created a commercial Kenpo (karate) separate and apart (a diversion) from his personally evolving Kenpo that also continued from the Chinese. The Kenpo that most are familiar with is, naturally, the "business" version from sheer numbers alone. I've always made the distinction between the two, and have often been basted for it. The newbies like to feel what they learned is THE Kenpo instead of A Kenpo. "There's room for everyone to study at the level of their choosing." - Ed Parker Sr.

TChase

Green Belt
Reaction score
BallistikMike said:
When you run a business, run a business. When you run a school run a school. When you combine them something will suffer because its like oil and water they do not mix. Business will increase when set the curriculum up for the mass, business will decrease when you set up the curriculum for knowledge, growth and the production of good fighters. It has always been this way

So very true. Unfortunate, but true.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would also like to add ....

I did not keep up with the politics of Kenpo/Kempo/Kajukenbo. I do not know who is teaching what system, what off shoot, what have you. I was in fact turned off by the politics off it and went looking for something else. I never found it. I have always been Kenpo/Kempo/Kajukenbo ... it chose me.

I re read my post and it looks like I am bashing or over extending honorship to Ed Parker. I am not. I just wanted to use a title that some use. Others have used the title "Old Man" or just Ed. It is irrelevent and sorry if I offended.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tmonis said:
Hello Darklord,

1. No the styles that I studied before are awesome. I would never take anything away from them. I have a Karazenpo / Shaolin Kempo / Hakkoryu Ju Jitsu background. If there are two things I enjoy doing in the Martial Arts, that would be Kenpo and Ju Jitsu. So that being said, with a little bit of changing here and there with what I have learned, I managed to combine the two and make it my own with just a few slight differences. It is in in't infancy but there was a enough difference, even just slightly, to be accepted by the Soke Council, North American Grandmasters Council, GM Al C., and my GM Simms to be sent and approvd for Sokeship. Even with that I am not a 10th Dan.
2. I have been in the Martial Arts for going on 32 years now and have trained with Prof. Cerio, Prof. Godin, Prof. Gascon, GM Simms, Prof. Shuras, Master Corrigan, Master Longacre, and Soke Kuniba and GM Barbara Meyers (Hakkoryu) who trained under Soke Kuniba before his death. All of which, who are still living, would more than likely vouch for me.
3. This posting was not about any organization. It was about being promoted from 1st Dan to 9th Dan in less than 10 years and trying to let everyone know that there are some real frauds out there. To be careful and do your research. The person I was talking about had made some very serious claims to have been promoted by Prof. Cerio to 9th Dan in 2003-4. It was a lie and I called him out on it. His website does not even connect anymore. So he got the message.
4. My promotions have all been within a normal time range. And in 32 years I have only made it to 7th. Even with my own style. And to be honest with you, I really don't expect any further. And if I were to be promoted. I am sure it would be before a panel of 9th / 10th Dan. My promotions are well documented from White Belt to 7th Dan and I assure you I earned everyone of them. No one gave me anything at all.
Thank you for your inqury though. And have a great week.

Prof. Todd: You know, you'd get more respect for your style if you didn't seek to validate it with some council of Soke's. Because everyone with an internet connection thinks that Soke councils are B.S.

As far as my personal opinion goes, this is America: create your own style, wear whatever rank you want. But, for me, "Soaky" is the condition of my daughter's diaper after a few hours wear and is not a group of people from which I seek validation.

OP
G

getgoin

Old Fat Kenpoka said:
As far as my personal opinion goes, this is America: create your own style, wear whatever rank you want. But, for me, "Soaky" is the condition of my daughter's diaper after a few hours wear and is not a group of people from which I seek validation.
Beautiful:)

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
tmonis said:
GAB: That was nicely put.

Thunderbolt: Innovation maybe.:idunno: The spreading of something different, ok.
But this was really all by accident. I have been training my class like this for a while and a few people noticed that it was different and suggeted I submit it and see what happens. So I did. Never expecting anything to come of it. Made a detailed manual,got a visit from a few people in the Kenpo World and the Ju Jitsu World, performed everything in front of a few people and then I got the notices in the mail after a long time between the visits and the notices. So somebody liked what we are doing. Other than that I was very happy doing my own thing in my own little corner of the world. Did not really mean to share it, but it happened that way.

Ok so with no disrepect intended at all to anyone. Because everyone has a right to their own opinions. I was just wondering. Does this usually happen on this forum? When the thread starts to die down, you turn on the person that started it? I was only trying to help that's all. By exposing this one dude that was trying to start something.

Anyway; no hard feelings, just wondering. Everyone have a great week.

Dear Prof. Todd,

I hope you didn't find my previous offensive. I didn't mean that way.! What set America from the rest is INNOVATION. You have your own ideas and put them together and show it to the world.

it's a beautiful thing to do. There is no doubt that you started this thread with a good intention and I am not here to cricitize you for what you do.

Hopefully, we can be cool about it.

Latest Discussions