Fraud Busters

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Recently, Ive posted several different threads. One of the recurring comments, questions, statements etc seems to focused on Wanna Beeess and / or some of these ppl who call themselves Soke, GrandMaster, Master etc.
Ok here is your chance to vent. If you want to name names thats up to you. If you would prefer to simply tella short story about someone, Well thats fine too. Bottom line this is your opportunity to point out individuals whom you know are not what they claim to be. Here's your chance to be a fraud buster.

I will post a reply to my own thread shortly.

As always, thank you. Remember all opiinions and posts are more than welcome. Thanks again for taking the time to read this thread and reply

San

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my younger day, There was a group of ppl who were called the black belt busters, these guys were very proud of their training, ability and ego's. They would go from town to town in the South East to train with whomever they could. Typically these tripes were Fri, Sat trips where they would go to a town meet the teacher in that school and would usually sleep in the school. That night and or the next day and night the students and instructor alike would train with these guys.
Well, thats how it all began, then they noticed the vast majority of the schools they went too, the instructors were all to often BS artist. It started off with good intnetions and from there these guys would actually find and seek out BS artist and would go to thier schools and fight them, thier students and just about anyone who wanted to fight.
I wont name name but I can tell you, We ran into alot of overnight wonders even back then. Ive had my fair share of fights. The more I see of these Wannabeeesss, overnight wonders and made up Sokes, Grandmasters etc, the more I want to get back into my old ways. Sadly I have way to much to lose. Thank goodness for growing up and getting older.

Thanks
San

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Official Policy on “Fraud” Busting and Credential Verification.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8708

Fraud Busting
Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourages the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. (Example: Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum). Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the “Bad Budo” forum.

Excessive “Inquisitor” style questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of “excessive’.

In addition, “Hot Pursuit” actions will not be tolerated. The “Hot Pursuit” is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and/or forums.

Members who become ‘obsessed”, ‘inquisitors’ or ‘interrogators’ will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

Credential Verification
The staff of this forum is certainly concerned with the rising problem of falsified and otherwise questionable credentials. Due to the costs in time and money, as well as possible language barriers, we are unable to perform verifications. Because of the number of different organizations, splits and other divergences, absolute certainty of authenticity can only be achieved in a few select areas.

While each member of our unpaid, volunteer staff has their own area of knowledge, we do not feel we are qualified to evaluate the skills of those who have not trained in our own arts. The “Karateka” is simply not qualified to decide if the “Kenpoists” ‘karate’ is any good. Each art has its own requirements and guidelines. It is humanly impossible to understand them all.

The simple truth is that there are thousands of opinions on what is right, and wrong in the arts. We encourage our members to share their ideas in a polite manner.

MartialTalk staff will not be involved in ‘credential’ verification or ‘skills evaluations’.

MartialTalk is not a forum dedicated to credential checks or outing frauds. Our goal is to provide a friendly, and an open area to exchange ideas, share thoughts, relax and network. Activities that disrupt our primary focus are not encouraged.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of the Salem witch hunts or the McCarthy hearings? I'm against frauds as much as anybody else, but I prefer lousy instructors expose themselves rather than be "outed" by others.
Not to say I'm not sympathetic to VSanHodo's goals, if not his means.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Translation to Bob's (Kaith) post

"fraud-busting"=
flamethrower.gif
:flame::flame::flame:

That about summ it up?

DuckofDeath

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest....Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the “Bad Budo” forum.

I wasn't aware that MartialTalk had a "Bad Budo" forum.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We did. It's called "Horror Stories" now I believe.

DuckofDeath

Orange Belt
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I prefer lousy instructors expose themselves rather than be "outed" by others.

So we can expect Frank Dux to come out and say that he's a fake and that there was no secret Kumite?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:
Hi Folks

Recently, Ive posted several different threads. One of the recurring comments, questions, statements etc seems to focused on Wanna Beeess and / or some of these ppl who call themselves Soke, GrandMaster, Master etc.
Ok here is your chance to vent. If you want to name names thats up to you. If you would prefer to simply tella short story about someone, Well thats fine too. Bottom line this is your opportunity to point out individuals whom you know are not what they claim to be. Here's your chance to be a fraud buster.

I will post a reply to my own thread shortly.

As always, thank you. Remember all opiinions and posts are more than welcome. Thanks again for taking the time to read this thread and reply

San

Well maybe you can start at the top and work your way down for these SELF APPOINTED SOKES and their students and their students.... :uhyeah:

These became the grantor ranking authority, much in the way the Butoku-kai had acted previously. These new organizations were to set the pattern and be the original source for today's ranking. As with the single-style clubs, the head instructors often assumed the rank for which they were qualified, based on criteria they wrote themselves.

These certifications set up the individuals so named as head of their own branch of the All Japan Karatedo Federation and, by extension, of their own groups. Eizo Shimabuku, founder of the shobayashi-ryu/shorin-ryu faction (a Kyan-type tomarite/shurite shorin-ryu blend), traces his own tenth dan to a Toyama certification. Shimabuku's assumption of the tenth dan, and his wearing of a red belt, was not without dispute, and it was controversies of this type that led most Okinawan leaders to eschew the red belt altogether.

http://judoinfo.com/karateranks.htm :uhyeah:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DuckofDeath said:
So we can expect Frank Dux to come out and say that he's a fake and that there was no secret Kumite?
How many "Frank Dux is a fraud" posts do you plan on making? Old news, no one disagrees, the horse was dead, tenderized and cooked up long ago....

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once had a student (mr. X) that studied with me for about 3 months he then went to a couple other school and stayed about the same length of time. After a while I lost track of him till one day a young man came into my class challenging some of my students. It turned out that the young man had studied from MR. X for a short time and felt he should show his powers to everyone he could find.

After being told that Mr. x was the instructor I informed the young man of that Mr. X worked in a print shop and had obviously printed up his own certificate of knowledge, and that he had no real knowledge to pass on. This was in forced with some sparring in which the young man suffered more than a little. He was then told to let Mr. X know that all of his previous instructor would be paying him a visit in the near future to try out his system.

Damn I miss the old days sometimes.

I'll relate a different story in a day or so

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Frauds. Ah yes. Where do I begin? With exposition:

About sixteen or seventeen years ago, when I was teaching at another school, we had a guy--late twenties or early thirties-- come in and train with us. He'd said he earned a purple belt in kenpo in another town. I worked with his sister in law and she confirmed this.

He was a bit of a jerk. He'd try and teach whenever he was paired up with anyone. Once when I was correcting a technique on his partner, the FIQ (Fraud In Question) interrupted me so he could put in his two cents. He'd make inappropriate observations and comments on technique as taught...somewhat brashly telling me things like "wouldn't it be better this way?" He apparently did this with all the instructors, and was very unpopular.

Scene change: FIQ is now a yellow belt, and comes to sparring class. All the students of all ranks...including my red belt girlfriend and soon to be wife...are handing it to him. Not hurting him, of course, but hitting him often and easily. He got to me and was--and I say this without exaggeration--trembling with fear. He was the first and only person I ever sparred who actually shook with trepidation.

So, he commences to do jump front kicks...in place...without coming within seven feet of me. He kept doing the same kick, over and over. "Missed," I said. He kept kicking, getting a little closer with my urging. "Missed again." As the match progressed I moved from scorn to pity. He was fearful, unskilled, slow. He couldn't touch me, and I couldn't miss him.

Scene change: Two weeks later. My wife's (then girlfriend) middle school class was having their end of year picnic at a nearby park. I walked over to attend. There in the park was our FIQ, wearing a black belt with seven stripes...teaching some guy with a red belt. I stared at him for awhile...and to his credit he didn't blanche, didn't flinch. I thought this impressive as two weeks earlier he was near soiling himself while sparring.

I walked over to the picnic and told my wife. She went down and took pictures of the FIQ teaching, correctly thinking that few who knew this guy would believe him stupid enough to pull such a stunt. She came back furious...and threatened to kick his butt. I calmed her down. She was seriously angry. Note this was BEFORE menopause...God help the guy had this happened ten years later.

Scene change: Sixteen or seventeen years later my wife and I run our own studio.

Two days ago my wife gets a call from a former student who knows someone who knows our friendly FIQ.

He's now telling people he was training here at our school recently...and while sparring me he kicked my butt so badly that he was asked to leave.

<sigh.>

Regards,

Steve

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and your wife obviously knows he is saying this

...and she is going through menopause

...Lord have mercy on his soul, cause when she catches him, she certainly won't... make sure you get more pictures, before and after would be good. :uhyeah:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nalia said:
... make sure you get more pictures, before and after would be good. :uhyeah:
Please remember to post them here.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
akja said:
Well maybe you can start at the top and work your way down for these SELF APPOINTED SOKES and their students and their students.... :uhyeah:

These became the grantor ranking authority, much in the way the Butoku-kai had acted previously. These new organizations were to set the pattern and be the original source for today's ranking. As with the single-style clubs, the head instructors often assumed the rank for which they were qualified, based on criteria they wrote themselves.

These certifications set up the individuals so named as head of their own branch of the All Japan Karatedo Federation and, by extension, of their own groups. Eizo Shimabuku, founder of the shobayashi-ryu/shorin-ryu faction (a Kyan-type tomarite/shurite shorin-ryu blend), traces his own tenth dan to a Toyama certification. Shimabuku's assumption of the tenth dan, and his wearing of a red belt, was not without dispute, and it was controversies of this type that led most Okinawan leaders to eschew the red belt altogether.

http://judoinfo.com/karateranks.htm :uhyeah:
Hey, thanks for taking my post found here here in post #49:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23373&page=1&pp=50

and re-posting it.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On several occasions (more like often) I have been accused of “fraud busting”.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I see things in people posts and either questions arise or “red flags” pop up. I then ask for details on the points in question and am often met with “excuses” (make that almost always) rather than answers.

Often the person being asked certain questions will balk at answers or won't provide any sort of proof to their claims.

Because I live in Asia, Japan specifically, I have access to information on different arts and styles that is not normally available in the west. Therefore when someone claims to have studied “pan-gai-noon” and gotten an 8th dan from them it’s easy for me to figure out this person is not being honest. One, because the style pan-gai-noon is extremely small and is only practiced by a few individuals in Okinawa that formerly called their style Uechi ryu. The chances of anyone having a shodan let alone an 8th dan are slim to none.

Another example is a guy that claimed he was the US Rep. for Motobu Ryu in the US.

A quick phone call to the Honbu in Okinawa revealed not only was he not the US Rep they didn’t have a US Rep for Motobu Ryu.

This same moron was also claiming to have trained “extensively” in Hontai Yoshin Ryu while on a trip to Japan. For me the extensively must mean something different. I think of decades when I hear that word. This moron spent 2 days there, one day doing Hontai Yoshin Ryu and one day doing sword. On the day Hontai Yoshin Ryu was practiced the moron sat out claiming an “owie” to his ankle, so he actually never trained in Hontai Yoshin Ryu. The moron posted a photo of his trip to to japan and by chance my very good friend that trained in Hontai Yoshin Ryu was in the photo with said moron during a group photo of that trip. He also served as translator for the dojo when the moron’s group came to Japan. Upon the moron’s return to the US he sent a fax to the Hontai Yoshin Ryu and had the “stones” to ask for dan rank!!!!

Of course he was denied, but told he would be welcome back for more training if he wanted. The moron’s reply was rather nasty and bordered on “sour grapes”.
We had another guy here on MT that claimed to be a "white crane" expert, come to find out through my investigations he bought his rank from a taxi driver in Okinawa, claims he trained with the guy, "extensively" = a couple hours a day for about week, and shazam! He is an "expert" in white crane.

End of long diatribe…….

Why do I mention this stuff??? Because when my “BS meter lights” up I am usually not wrong. Do I like having to play a bunch of games with these “frauds” to show others just how full of it these guys are? Not at all, I would rather have “put up or shut up”, but I will not sit by and let people shovel BS out on the Internet for some novice to read and then repeat. Things that are repeated enough tend to become the “truth” after a while.

Look how long it took to dispel the myth that karate was invented by farmers to protect themselves from Samurai, or Naihanchi goes side to side so the farmers could practice in between the rice paddies…….the list goes on but some folks still believe this junk.

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
On several occasions (more like often) I have been accused of “fraud busting”.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I see things in people posts and either questions arise or “red flags” pop up. I then ask for details on the points in question and am often met with “excuses” (make that almost always) rather than answers.

Often the person being asked certain questions will balk at answers or won't provide any sort of proof to their claims.

Because I live in Asia, Japan specifically, I have access to information on different arts and styles that is not normally available in the west. Therefore when someone claims to have studied “pan-gai-noon” and gotten an 8th dan from them it’s easy for me to figure out this person is not being honest. One, because the style pan-gai-noon is extremely small and is only practiced by a few individuals in Okinawa that formerly called their style Uechi ryu. The chances of anyone having a shodan let alone an 8th dan are slim to none.

Another example is a guy that claimed he was the US Rep. for Motobu Ryu in the US.

A quick phone call to the Honbu in Okinawa revealed not only was he not the US Rep they didn’t have a US Rep for Motobu Ryu.

This same moron was also claiming to have trained “extensively” in Hontai Yoshin Ryu while on a trip to Japan. For me the extensively must mean something different. I think of decades when I hear that word. This moron spent 2 days there, one day doing Hontai Yoshin Ryu and one day doing sword. On the day Hontai Yoshin Ryu was practiced the moron sat out claiming an “owie” to his ankle, so he actually never trained in Hontai Yoshin Ryu. The moron posted a photo of his trip to to japan and by chance my very good friend that trained in Hontai Yoshin Ryu was in the photo with said moron during a group photo of that trip. He also served as translator for the dojo when the moron’s group came to Japan. Upon the moron’s return to the US he sent a fax to the Hontai Yoshin Ryu and had the “stones” to ask for dan rank!!!!

Of course he was denied, but told he would be welcome back for more training if he wanted. The moron’s reply was rather nasty and bordered on “sour grapes”.
We had another guy here on MT that claimed to be a "white crane" expert, come to find out through my investigations he bought his rank from a taxi driver in Okinawa, claims he trained with the guy, "extensively" = a couple hours a day for about week, and shazam! He is an "expert" in white crane.

End of long diatribe…….

Why do I mention this stuff??? Because when my “BS meter lights” up I am usually not wrong. Do I like having to play a bunch of games with these “frauds” to show others just how full of it these guys are? Not at all, I would rather have “put up or shut up”, but I will not sit by and let people shovel BS out on the Internet for some novice to read and then repeat. Things that are repeated enough tend to become the “truth” after a while.

Look how long it took to dispel the myth that karate was invented by farmers to protect themselves from Samurai, or Naihanchi goes side to side so the farmers could practice in between the rice paddies…….the list goes on but some folks still believe this junk.

Robert:

Als awlays thank you for your posts. Though you and I dont know one another we do have Ryu-Te in common and frankly that alone is enough for me. If Mr Logue and Mr. Shull say your good people I need not go any further. Now with that being said, I think it is fair to say I dont always agree with your opinions, but have come to respect your views and your posts are always welcome and encouraged.

Just s short story for you.
Years ago, I had a student who trained with me for less than a year. During that time he never came to class more than once a week and rarely more than 3 times a month. One day poooof he just disappeared. A few months later, one of my students told me the guy had opened up his own school. I went by to visit and sure enough he had some beautiful certificates on the wall and was darn near overnight promoted to 5th Dan. Sald here we are 12 - 15 years later and this guy is now a memeber of one of the Hall of Fame groups and travels quite a bit and does lots and lots of seminars. This guy is terrible but he makes moeny head over fists. Just goes to show how Niave and uneducated some ppl are.
Thanks again for your posts

San

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:
Robert:

1) Als awlays thank you for your posts. Though you and I dont know one another we do have Ryu-Te in common and frankly that alone is enough for me. If Mr Logue and Mr. Shull say your good people I need not go any further. Now with that being said, I think it is fair to say I dont always agree with your opinions, but have come to respect your views and your posts are always welcome and encouraged.

2) Just s short story for you.
Years ago, I had a student who trained with me for less than a year. During that time he never came to class more than once a week and rarely more than 3 times a month. One day poooof he just disappeared. A few months later, one of my students told me the guy had opened up his own school. I went by to visit and sure enough he had some beautiful certificates on the wall and was darn near overnight promoted to 5th Dan. Sald here we are 12 - 15 years later and this guy is now a memeber of one of the Hall of Fame groups and travels quite a bit and does lots and lots of seminars. This guy is terrible but he makes moeny head over fists. Just goes to show how Niave and uneducated some ppl are.
Thanks again for your posts

San

1)[font=&quot] [/font]Thanks for the kind words. I don’t expect people to agree with me all the time….wouldn’t it be boring if everyone always agreed? I know it would drive me nuts.

2)[font=&quot] [/font] The plague of modern martial arts. If you can’t hack it in a real dojo….promote yourself in rank and give seminars!!!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sometimes, I read about frauds like the above and I don't even want to talk about training. I don't want to open my mouth "in the same room" as these people. I often wonder if money is to blame, but then again, I've been to some very financially successful dojangs that were very good.

My personal feeling is that we have created an "open door" policy where any asshat can cross the threshold of your dojang and then walk out and saying whatever. This may be okay for others, heck it was okay with my teacher, but it's not how I choose to run things.

I'm not sure if its different in Asia, but I do things a little differently. I don't advertise. I don't have an open door policy. If people find out about us and want to train, they've got to contact me first. I'm going to ask a few questions. New students are usually recommended by other students. I tell them to be wary of who they talk to regarding their training and I tell them to use good judgement if you want to give them my dojang number.

Consequently, I don't have a lot of students. The students I do have, though, are part of a network. They know each other, they help each other train and they back each other up through the hard parts of our training. We have a pretty tight school and I am able to keep my standards high. I expect excellence and I think that I have created an environment that fosters it. I guess time will tell...

I had a low rank student take a Song Moo Kwan class to fill in his schedule. The class was taught my a 6th dan that I've had some negative dealings with. (Basically, when I first opened my school, he found out and tried to shut me down. He felt that I was trying to poach students from him. I moved my dojang and started my current policy) Anyway, my student is low ranked and the class he took happened to be the other persons middle rank class. Mark (Kid on MT) whooped all of this students in sparring and showed some really good technique. The 6th dan, then proceeded to attempt to poach a student from me! Mark choose to stay with me even though I hold the lowest teaching rank in our art (which is another reason I keep a low profile). I felt very honored and I think my approach is working the way I want it to.

upnorthkyosa

Latest Discussions